IGNORED

Am I in the minority? I still CARRY my clubs

jewestcoast
Note: This thread is 5621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Even when I was young I didn't enjoy carrying my bag (although bags have gotten better to carry since that time). I am a bit of an equipment junkie, so I carry a lot of stuff in my bag that I don't like to take out (rain gear, rules book, extra gloves, extra balls, towels, etc.) My current bag is a cart bag. A few years ago I finally just decided to go with the big bag to carry all of my stuff.

I ride a lot because most of the courses I play these days are quite hilly and laid out with lots of distance between tees/greens. I also have a pull cart for those flatter and/or shorter courses and enjoy using it as well. I do not dislike walking, but I don't like carrying my bag (and Steve Williams is not in my price range to caddy for me). Golf is about enjoyment for me and carrying my bag and having my back hurt is not enjoyable at all. A couple of the guys I play with have finally given in and started using pull carts and also have found they love them. It's not like we're particularly old (all between 35 and 45), out of shape (most of group are workout nuts, except me, who admittedly is lazy and out of shape), or unhealthy (a couple of us have tricky backs, but overall everyone is healthy). It's just easier, which means we have more energy to actually put toward actually playing.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm walking, which is more often than not, I will carry my clubs. Is good exercise and being that I sit at a desk all day....I need as much as I can get. Unfortunately....I won't be getting enough exercise as I need in the next 5+ months....ugh

I walk because of cost, but if someone else insists on paying for a cart I'll ride along :)

In my bag:
Driver: HiBore XLS (9.5*, stiff, gold shaft)
Irons: FP II 4-GW
Wedges: mp R series 56/13 588DSG 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: ADIDAS Velocity

I still carry and I'm 42 now with a slightly dodgy back (nothing to do with golf). I can't see me doing anything else until I absolutely have to.

We don't get extreme heat here though and I could imagine riding would be attractive in conditions of heat/humidity.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play at a local muni in the Men's Club and have noticed that of the approximately 60-80 guys that play each week only about 2 or 3 of us carry our own clubs. About 15% use power carts (mostly the older guys) and the rest use pull carts.

ANSWERS: Carrying your own bag for 18 holes is not a cause of fatigue. The cart riders are lazy, and you are not. You are smart, and they are not. I am 60 years old, and always carry my own bag. Even when I play in a charity event, and everyone has to take a cart, I tell my "cart partner" then I will put my clubs on the cart, but will walk, unless he or she needs me to drive on an occasion.

My home golf course has two holes that are tough to walk. The distance from the 4th green to the 5th tee is about 300 yards, with the last 150 going up a steep hill. The fifth hole is all uphill. Walking these two holes back to back is a tough physical test. Only two or three players at our course walk it. I can understand this in 60% of the cases, but the rest just are not in good physical condition and do not want to train and exercise over the winter to "get into shape". What gets to me is to see young men and women, between the ages of 15 and 35 ride carts and miss out on the exercise of walking. Boy, is this country out of shape, overall. Plus, they miss out on viewing the scenery (and we have very scenic courses in our area). Actually, I find it better for my game to walk. Walking keeps my body stretched out and gives me good aerobics that translates into good, rhythmic swings. Finally, walking gives me time to think out the next shot, and forget the last shot if it was a bad one.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

ANSWERS: Carrying your own bag for 18 holes is not a cause of fatigue. The cart riders are lazy, and you are not. You are smart, and they are not.

Boy, talk about an attitude. Not to mention putting everyone into the same box.

You, sir do not know me.... You have no idea why I ride instead of walking, and just because you have apparently done nothing during your life to cause any physical problems doesn't mean that it applies to the rest of us. I know guy in his 30's who could do with a knee replacement... but his insurance won't pay for it until he's over 50. I have been a skier, backpacker, and whitewater kayaker as well as a golfer, and the combination has worked to make just enough of a mess of my back that even pushing my Speed Cart is painful. My knees are also starting to break down now. I've been blessed my whole life with good health, and I'm still healthy except for those rather minor difficulties. I still walk in the park behind my house regularly for the exercise. I just can't do it with a load. I would much prefer to walk, and still do walk an occasional 9 holes, but I don't denigrate those who prefer to ride for whatever reason, even if it's out of pure laziness. It's their choice, and that's why we live in this country in the first place... freedom of choice. You do as you like, but you don't need go around knocking others down because they happened to make a different choice than you did.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walk the majority of the time. The primary motivation for me in this is cost. I'm cheap and at the courses I play riding usually doubles the cost of playing. Since I'm a golfer on a budget that makes is big difference to me.

I do like the exercise I get when I walk so that's why I don't own a pull cart. Carrying your bag makes a huge difference in the exercise you get when walking. It easily doubles the calories you burn, but as others have said that translates into a greater strain on your body and physical reserves, so if you have any physical issues (like health problems or old age) carrying won't be a good idea.

As to the overall question of walking versus riding I have to agree that riding as the accepted norm on golf courses hurts the sport (just my opinion). It makes golf less social and more isolated. It takes practically all physicality out of the game, and in our already sedintary society where we have an "obesity" epidemic that doesn't make golf a sport that promotes wellness (although perhaps it does make it more appealing to many?). I also see the insistance towards riding making these problems worse over time because courses are being designed/built with that in mind. Walker friendly courses are becoming anacronistic. This adds to the overall cost of the sport from the green fees we pay to the environmental costs of sprawling courses that practically require that you ride. I'm not saying anything should be done to change this growing reality, perhaps simple economics might create the impetus necessary so that more courses become ammenable towards walkers. But as a trend I find the overwhelming majority of people choosing to ride over walking disturbing.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

i love a good walk in the park... and id much prefer to carry when im all by my lonesome...
but heres the catch...

if the course is ultra crowded... well over half of the ppl on the course are riding... quite a few of them have no clue about proper etiquette... i hate prepping for my 2nd/3rd shot an have 4 golf balls raining down around me and ppl in carts rushing by... mind you... im by myself an my pace of play isnt slow cuz i usually just grip it an rip it... but letting everyone on a cart behind you play thru doesnt help my pace of play and kinda ruins the old mojo and concentration...

so my rule of thumb is usually if i think its gonna be really busy... ill plunk down the extra cash and ride... or hook up with someone that is riding... or take safety in numbers by hooking up with a group that needs an extra body walking...

this time of year i usually have the course to myself and always walk it

RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

When I first started golfing about 7 years ago (I was 30), I knew of no other way than to use a cart. My work golf outings were always carts, and it's those outings that introduced me to golfing. I had used a motorized golf cart ever since.....until 2008.

This year I went and bought a new bag and driver finally, and elected to get a pull cart. Every time I golfed this year (besides once, due to the golf outing rules for this particular event), I have walked, while pulling my cart.

Wow...I must say, I feel MUCH better about walking than riding. I feel more energized, I feel like it's actually healthy walking those 18 holes. I can't imagine going back to golf carts again (granted, I am in my 30s, I am sure I will change my tune in 20 years).

I highly recommend walking if possible. I don't believe it has made any difference in my driving accuracy though

i love a good walk in the park... and id much prefer to carry when im all by my lonesome...

Those are excellent caveats for the would be walker to keep in mind, especially when the course is crowded with riders. When I go out on the course by myself and it's crowded I realize that if I get paired up with riders I'm going to have to hoof it unless those guys are terrible golfers (not all that unusual). Good golfers riding play fast and unless you're a fast walker you will slow them down. When I walk and I don't have anyone slowing me down (either playing with me or playing in front of me) I walk 9 in an hour and fifteen minutes. I know guys though who can ride 9 in under an hour. Those are guys who I let go off without me because just trying to keep up walking at that pace is beyond me and certainly would take all of the fun out of the round.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

It would be nice to hear from some of our non-North America members. Here in the states, the electric riding cart is the norm, but in other countries they are not. I have been to the UK(Scotland, England, Northern Ireland) and Ireland a few times. These trips were several years ago, but I think the view is the same. On every course that I played, walking with a push cart was the norm. Most of the courses had just a few riding carts and they were parked out of view from the clubhouse(much better than the 30-40 you see at every course here). To ride a cart at most of the UK courses, you had to have a "certificate of need". These certificates noted if you had a medical condition that prevented you from walking. At St. Andrews, I counted 3 riding carts and 40 pull carts. It was very nice to see everyone walking the courses and enjoying the outdoors with their partners. The funny thing(or not funny, maybe ironic) is there was never a problem with slow play. No one hitting on top of you. No loud cursing on bad shots. There was very little waiting at the tee boxes. I chalk this up to better etiquette and respect for fellow golfers, but the lack of riders assisted. I think our hurried lifestyles make us rush at everything we do, and the riding cart makes matters much worse for golf. From my experience lately, unless there is a respectable ranger, etiquette and respect go out of bounds most of the time at out courses. I wished I could find a nice course/club around North Alabama that was walking only, I would join in less than a second.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

Why would anyone carry when they could use a pull cart instead? Carrying is not good for the back, regardless of age. Pull carts have wheels, a wonderful invention, and you still get your walking exercise.

Why would anyone carry when they could use a pull cart instead? Carrying is not good for the back, regardless of age. Pull carts have wheels, a wonderful invention, and you still get your walking exercise.

That's a bit silly. Carrying burns 3 times as many calories and, if done properly, can actually strengthen the back. If you choose not to carry, fine, but you shouldn't make statements that aren't true just to support your opinion.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

honestly that topic is something i argue with myself all the time. On the one hand, I see carrying as extra exercise... on the other, I feel that it's not good for me because of too much back and neck strain. Anyone have any links to medical opinions on carrying things backpack style on your back?

That said... as long as the weather is good, carrying is very enjoyable. But carrying when it's hot outside? Forget it.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

From the month of September through May, I always walk, carrying about 50% of the time and using a push/pull cart about 50% of the time. I hate riding in a cart - like some of you have pointed out, I cannot get into a rhythm and my scores are usually worse. There are several courses here in Tucson that require you to ride - many with long areas between holes. During the summer months, I almost always end up riding - the 105 degree weather and the AZ sun is too much for me to walk 18 (I will walk 9 if I can get out in the morning). Plus the rates drop substantially once all the snowbirds leave.

My first job growing up

In my Ogio Bag
Driver - Cobra 10.5 F Speed
3 Wood - Cobra LD speed
Hybrid - TaylorMade Burner 22 degree
Irons - Callaway X-Tour 3-PW 52.08 Degree Gap Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled56.14 Degree Sand Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin Milled60.07 Degree Lob Wedge - Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter...

one of the bennifits from walking i have noticed, and i'm sure it's all mental, but it helps me hit the ball straighter. if i'm riding in a cart, i tend to play more army golf, but when walking it kinda forces me to make solid contact and hit em straighter so i don't make a 6300 yard course 7500 yards. i guess its similar to those who find a better rythem when walking. but yea, i'd rather walk and carry rather than ride, unless its over 90*, and i can't see myself using a pull cart. i'm 26 and i guess i just have it in my head that those are geared towards women and seniors.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 ProLaunch Blue S 55

:callaway: X2 Hot 3W  |  X Hot Pro 16H  |  X2 Hot 19H

:callaway: Apex 4-PW Project X 5.0 Flighted   

vokey.gif SM4 50.12, SM5 55.11
:cameron: Del Mar  |  titleist.gif NXT Tour S  

i guess it depends on location... i used to think the same until i started seeing a whole bunch of 30-40 looking year olds pushing carts lately. I get a bit jealous sometimes that they can just cut through the course and walk straight to their ball while i have to drive to the cart path. I still love carting around though...

What i really like is having my own cart driver follow me me around, so i dont have to carry or push a thing and can hitch a ride when i want.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

Note: This thread is 5621 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!