IGNORED

ProV1's - Enough Already

Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never pay for a golf ball - just keep your eyes open.  ESPECIALLY when you yourself hook or slice one into the woods.

I have two huge and full bags of balls.

the first bag is full of premium balls that are mint condition (to the eye - and usually to the feel when playing.  Easy to tell when a 'dud' is hit)

the second bag has off brands and scuffed or stained balls

They are all found golf balls.  95% of my rounds I find MUCH more than I lose.  Especially when the group in front of me is playing slow.  I don't lose a ball very often frankly.

I pick a premium brand from bag one and mark them all and use them exclusively for play - I'm working through all the Titleists right now.  Taylormade is next if I ever use up the Titleists.  So if the OP sees me hitting a ProV1 or V1x, he can relax, I didn't spend a cent on it.  I really like hitting the Rocketballz but I only have about 9 of those total in bag 1.

Bag two holds those 'crappy' balls that I hit into the woods when I'm camping.

I love it when I see people pull out brand new boxes of golf balls and use them.  Especially if they are approaching a tree lined fairway.  There are certain distances that are just prime for finding balls in the woods.  I call them 'donors'.

I find a LOT of new Titleists when I play especially early in the season - usually they are in the best and most mint conditions.  We have a local 9 hole course with a par 3 that hits over a couple reed covered mud bogs.  You rich guys don't seem to like walking even 10 feet into the brush for your golf balls.  I good with that.  My retriever extends 15 feet

Keep it up guys, please continue to buy those nice shiny new golf balls and don't take any lessons.  I'm grateful for your contributions.  ((someone will be bitchy about it, so to pre-respond - yes, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a totally abandoned golf ball deep in the woods or on a fairway that's isolated from other fairways due to layout......if you find these kinds all the time, you pretty much have no issue walking past anything that remotely might be in play even in ridiculous scenarios))

(I actually once finished a round where I found a couple in the woods and as I was leaving for the day, I saw this old guy putting his gear away - he was a couple groups in front of me and I saw his mark on a ball in his cart - I walked over and gave him two of his golf balls that I found about 35 feet into the woods on a lined hole - :-D they were right next to my hooked tee shot on the same hole - he was delighted as he'd just opened that three pack for the back 9)

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd rather be paying for new balls than playing a variety of different ones, most of which are cheap and not something I want to play with.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Never pay for a golf ball - just keep your eyes open.  ESPECIALLY when you yourself hook or slice one into the woods.

I have two huge and full bags of balls.

the first bag is full of premium balls that are mint condition (to the eye - and usually to the feel when playing.  Easy to tell when a 'dud' is hit)

the second bag has off brands and scuffed or stained balls

They are all found golf balls.  95% of my rounds I find MUCH more than I lose.  Especially when the group in front of me is playing slow.  I don't lose a ball very often frankly.

I pick a premium brand from bag one and mark them all and use them exclusively for play - I'm working through all the Titleists right now.  Taylormade is next if I ever use up the Titleists.  So if the OP sees me hitting a ProV1 or V1x, he can relax, I didn't spend a cent on it.  I really like hitting the Rocketballz but I only have about 9 of those total in bag 1.

Bag two holds those 'crappy' balls that I hit into the woods when I'm camping.

I love it when I see people pull out brand new boxes of golf balls and use them.  Especially if they are approaching a tree lined fairway.  There are certain distances that are just prime for finding balls in the woods.  I call them 'donors'.

I find a LOT of new Titleists when I play especially early in the season - usually they are in the best and most mint conditions.  We have a local 9 hole course with a par 3 that hits over a couple reed covered mud bogs.  You rich guys don't seem to like walking even 10 feet into the brush for your golf balls.  I good with that.  My retriever extends 15 feet

Keep it up guys, please continue to buy those nice shiny new golf balls and don't take any lessons.  I'm grateful for your contributions.  ((someone will be bitchy about it, so to pre-respond - yes, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a totally abandoned golf ball deep in the woods or on a fairway that's isolated from other fairways due to layout......if you find these kinds all the time, you pretty much have no issue walking past anything that remotely might be in play even in ridiculous scenarios))

(I actually once finished a round where I found a couple in the woods and as I was leaving for the day, I saw this old guy putting his gear away - he was a couple groups in front of me and I saw his mark on a ball in his cart - I walked over and gave him two of his golf balls that I found about 35 feet into the woods on a lined hole -   they were right next to my hooked tee shot on the same hole - he was delighted as he'd just opened that three pack for the back 9)

My collection of premium golf balls increases every time they have an amateur tournament at my local course. Pro-V1x and V1. Lots of them. The last take was 18. 10 V1x and 8 V1, in almost new condition (nothing you can see). They were hit near some ditches. I like the fact that some local entertainment companies go there for their tournaments. The ball mongers are out there in droves, so I typically limit my pickings so they can make a living.

What's funny is I have 3 dozen new pro-V1/x balls, plus a whole bunch of other premium balls. I should probably use some of them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have more than 4 dozen prov1's in my shag bag from working on the golf course, and I had to stop picking them up wherever I found them because I ran out of space in the bag for them after four weeks. I also have another 2.5 dozen from high school tournaments this year brand new (the coach gave us a sleeve every tournament and I played in 11) so there's that. I'm set for a long time.

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still about, the answer I believe is simply because they can. As many have said, what is it that concerns you so much what ball someone uses? Anyway, that's another story.....

I just went out and bought a dozen Pro V1's to see what all the fuss is about.(Not just because of this thread I must add)

I would say I'm a reasonable level (except my handicap would tell you otherwise due to my horrendous putting) but my iron play is fairly good and the difference in feel/control I noticed after just one round of the Pro V1's is more than marginal in comparison to a mid level ball, regardless of my skill level. Maybe I'm just not in the 90% that he refers to in his first post.

I've never bought a set of brand new balls as I always had a few decent ones which i had found at the range or from my previous round, and fortunately I've never been that bad enough to lose more than say 5 balls a round (at the beginning) because of either playing safe or managing to find the one I've spanked into the woods.

So I decided to give them a go, and for me they are night and day to a mid range ball. Ok, you have to account for the extra stop when hitting pitches and chips on to the green, but for me this didn't take too long to get used to. The feel when striking the irons is a bit of a confidence booster for me, also knowing its gonna stop if/when you hit the green from distance is a plus.

After 2 rounds I've not lost one yet, so if you're thinking should I try them out or not, I say do it. Buy half a dozen and if you don't like them, sell them or use them up and don't use them again.

Just my 2 cents.....

Rob

Rob - London, England

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 Driver

:nike: VRS Covert Tour 2.0 3 Hybrid

:nike: VRS Forged Irons

:titleist: Pro V1

I know this is an old thread, but if the OP is still about, the answer I believe is simply because they can. As many have said, what is it that concerns you so much what ball someone uses? Anyway, that's another story.....

I just went out and bought a dozen Pro V1's to see what all the fuss is about.(Not just because of this thread I must add)

I would say I'm a reasonable level (except my handicap would tell you otherwise due to my horrendous putting) but my iron play is fairly good and the difference in feel/control I noticed after just one round of the Pro V1's is more than marginal in comparison to a mid level ball, regardless of my skill level. Maybe I'm just not in the 90% that he refers to in his first post.

I've never bought a set of brand new balls as I always had a few decent ones which i had found at the range or from my previous round, and fortunately I've never been that bad enough to lose more than say 5 balls a round (at the beginning) because of either playing safe or managing to find the one I've spanked into the woods.

So I decided to give them a go, and for me they are night and day to a mid range ball. Ok, you have to account for the extra stop when hitting pitches and chips on to the green, but for me this didn't take too long to get used to. The feel when striking the irons is a bit of a confidence booster for me, also knowing its gonna stop if/when you hit the green from distance is a plus.

After 2 rounds I've not lost one yet, so if you're thinking should I try them out or not, I say do it. Buy half a dozen and if you don't like them, sell them or use them up and don't use them again.

Just my 2 cents.....

Rob

It does feel really good doesn't it, especially with the long irons? All the premium balls I've hit feel pretty good. I guess that's why they call them that.

For comparison the Snake Eyes I bought for $8 a dozen (just running out of them) feel like painted rocks.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'd rather be paying for new balls than playing a variety of different ones, most of which are cheap and not something I want to play with.

X2, Also I enjoy playing golf not looking for balls.

Derrek

Righty in the left trap

It does feel really good doesn't it, especially with the long irons? All the premium balls I've hit feel pretty good. I guess that's why they call them that.

For comparison the Snake Eyes I bought for $8 a dozen (just running out of them) feel like painted rocks.

for that matter, you can buy various grades of re-furbished balls of just about all the premiums - very nice too for those that are scared of the woods ;-)

Bill - 

It sure does! I hit a 221 yd par 3 with a 5i and when I saw the pitch mark and where I had ended up I was pleasantly surprised, as it was slightly up hill and you had to hit over a tree, so I knew the line was good, and the shot felt good, but seeing it I was actually smiling to myself when i walked onto the green. Its the little things in life that make you happy, eh? Or is it just me...?

I guess the saying you get what you pay for runs true to golf balls, and equipment generally in sports. Granted a lot of it is down to the user, but I believe these little things make a difference.

Rob

Rob - London, England

for that matter, you can buy various grades of re-furbished balls of just about all the premiums - very nice too for those that are scared of the woods

Yeah, I also have a dozen refurbished ones as well. I really have no reason to be looking for balls, actually. I guess it's just a habit I developed from being a high handicapper for 3 and a half out of my 4 years of playing. :whistle:

It sure does! I hit a 221 yd par 3 with a 5i and when I saw the pitch mark and where I had ended up I was pleasantly surprised, as it was slightly up hill and you had to hit over a tree, so I knew the line was good, and the shot felt good, but seeing it I was actually smiling to myself when i walked onto the green. Its the little things in life that make you happy, eh? Or is it just me...?

I guess the saying you get what you pay for runs true to golf balls, and equipment generally in sports. Granted a lot of it is down to the user, but I believe these little things make a difference.

Rob

I think the decimal point on your handicap is a couple digits too far to the right. :-D

Yeah, these balls are really great, especially if you shank shots.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yeah, I also have a dozen refurbished ones as well. I really have no reason to be looking for balls, actually. I guess it's just a habit I developed from being a high handicapper for 3 and a half out of my 4 years of playing.

I think the decimal point on your handicap is a couple digits too far to the right.

Yeah, these balls are really great, especially if you shank shots.

If only that were true. I'd be more than happy with it being just one decimal point left of where it is. :whistle:

It was more a case of hitting it perfectly and the green being slightly damp which probably helped it hold up a little.

But realistically if i could hit every shot as sweet, cleanly and accurately as that every time, I probably would be looking at a single digit handicap. Its just my putting and the odd sloppy mistake which is leading me to pretty appalling scoring at the moment, although I've only really started playing properly and scoring, so I'm hoping they'll soon improve.

Rob

Rob - London, England

If only that were true. I'd be more than happy with it being just one decimal point left of where it is.

It was more a case of hitting it perfectly and the green being slightly damp which probably helped it hold up a little.

But realistically if i could hit every shot as sweet, cleanly and accurately as that every time, I probably would be looking at a single digit handicap. Its just my putting and the odd sloppy mistake which is leading me to pretty appalling scoring at the moment, although I've only really started playing properly and scoring, so I'm hoping they'll soon improve.

Rob

Inconsistency could kill your score. In my case, consistency is killing it. That is, consistently pulling my shots. I'm determined to fix it this month.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Inconsistency could kill your score. In my case, consistency is killing it. That is, consistently pulling my shots. I'm determined to fix it this month.

That is it, consistency (good consistency) is the key. Lack of it is definitely whats hurting my scores at the moment. But that's what practice is all about, ironing out any little inefficiency and maximizing your ability to do the same thing over and over.

I think using the same ball for a while will help me out a bit rather than switching balls every time I play based on which one looks newest, so hopefully these suckers will do the trick.

Rob - London, England

All golfers chase the latest, greatest trend to some extent...just depends on the subject.  To me you know what your getting with the proV's and seems like other companies just don't market as well to build brand loyalty.  They are certainly good balls but to me I like showing up on league night with my E5 bridgestone and outplaying 3 other proV's in my group.  Best years of golf for me with the lowest handicap was when playing a maxfli noodle, so definitely don't need to spend money to play better.  I do it on clubs though, so like I said, seems like we all have our weakness.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy the Callaway Hex Controls from Costco for two dozen for $30. They play about the same as the Hex Chromes. I just bought three boxes last month which should see me through most of next season.

Shag balls I find on the course I use with my driver on the practice tee before a round.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I buy the Callaway Hex Controls from Costco for two dozen for $30. They play about the same as the Hex Chromes. I just bought three boxes last month which should see me through most of next season.

Shag balls I find on the course I use with my driver on the practice tee before a round.

I used to use these too, they're really good. Callaway tech support kind of inferred that they are slightly better than the Hex Chromes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Obviously posted a while ago but I'm a little bit in the "Why do you care?" camp re the original 'mini rant' from the OP. Totally ok with me that he has this opinion it's just mine differs a tad - if a 28 handicapper wants to use a ProV1 and can afford to, crack on. It may hurt his game a bit if he tends to put a lot of sidespin on the ball but it may (possibly) help him round the green when he misses it (again :) ). My point is it's your money your choice.

I use a ProV1 and hopefully for good reasons. I get a decent amount of spin around the green even out of rough (something I don't get with any of the cheaper ballls I've tried - I'm sad enough that I test that sort of thing) and they feel good for putting. I'm reasonably straight so I can live with the extra spin I get on longer shots and they feel good off the club face. Lastly I got in touch with the company that make my launch monitor and checked which ball the units are calibrated to and it's a ProV1. Makes a difference on a camera system such as a GC2 although only a minor one.

All of the above said, I don't like throwing money away so I practice exclusively with ProV1 X-Outs. For anyone unfamiliar they are ProV1s sold by Titleist which have minor defects so small you just can't tell. Certainly any slight 'blemish' is smaller than the scuff the ball will get the first time you hit it. They are also conforming balls and can be used in club competitions etc. but generally not in higher level tournaments ( http://www.titleist.co.uk/customer-service/faqs/18/Golf%20Balls.aspx) They cost about 50% of the price of a ProV1. Anyone who wants to play a premium ball but baulks slightly at the price of ProV1s could do worse than using them.

Tournament balls on the left, practice balls on the right. I've yet to find a difference between the two ........... other than the price :)

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 3438 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!