IGNORED

America converting to the Metric system

michaeljames92
Note: This thread is 5596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

According to Wikipedia and the CIA factbook, the whole world except Myanmar, Liberia and the United States has adopted the metric system as their measuring system. I saw something about this the other day with manufacturing and industry in many countries still using imperial measurements.

My question to this forum is: Will America convert to metric or still remain imperial?

Having only used metric myself whereas the American citizens on this site I am sure will have encountered both systems, what do you think is a better system?
To me metric seems easier such as 1000 metres to a kilometre, 1000 g to 1 Kg
etc. Whereas 1 pound = 16 ounces and 14 pounds = 1 stone etc.

I know this seems to be an abstract thread but I just wanted to know what the everyone thinks.

Thanks

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Its not only about the arithmetic, its also about how people think.

How big is a can of coke? 12oz or 330ml - obviously the answer depends on where you come from and how you think.

Plus the arithmetic of converting between grams and kg may be easier, but dividing 1 kilogram between varying numbers of people is not so easy.

an example; Metric - 10 can easily be divided (leaves a whole number) by 10, 5, 2, 1
Imp. oz in lb - 16 can easily be divided by 16, 8, 4, 2, 1
Imp inches in feet - 12 can easily be divided by 12, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1

Also although most countries are officially metric, they often still use another traditional system. Japan is an example, with its Shakhanho.
England is another example although officially metric, road signs are in miles, beer is served in pints, and it is possible to buy food in ozs and lbs.

How big is a can of coke? 12oz or 330ml

375ml in Australia.

Also when you go to a pub and say 'can I have a pint?' It sounds much cooler. It' strange because many countries have 330ml cans whereas Australia has 375 ml. When I traveled to France they were using cl on their cans i.e. 33cl. I think both systems have their pros and cons.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

My question to this forum is: Will America convert to metric or still remain imperial?

This issue has been discussed and debated for many years in legislative forums. Like many people here I can't understand "why".

My question to this forum is:

I hope not, and I don't see it happening.

I find the metric system - using it, converting between elements of it, and so on - to be immensely confusing. I have absolutely no concept of a "meter." In fact, in a lecture last quarter, a professor asked me to estimate the distance from our classroom to a particular landmark, in meters. I guessed two. The room erupted in laughter. He asked if I'd prefer some other unit of measurement. I guessed it in yards to within ten. There's also my own personal preference for base 2 over base 10, and many of our measurements' conversion factors are powers of two. As for not seeing it happening, I don't think most people in this country are going to want to switch. But there are some elements of the metric system we do use - soda comes in 2L bottles and there are many bottled waters that come in pints. But I haven't heard meter used outside a science class. As for the weight scale being adopted, there's the perception that measurements in grams are the province of drug dealers. So that's an obstacle to public acceptance.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I already answered this for myself on my blog:

here .
I find the metric system - using it, converting between elements of it, and so on - to be immensely confusing.

Huh? How? It's almost all base 10 with consistent prefixes.

I have absolutely no concept of a "meter."

You likely have just as much concept of a "yard." It wouldn't take long to adjust. It's like learning a new language. At first you mentally "convert" everything, and then you start thinking in that language, even dreaming in it.

There's also my own personal preference for base 2 over base 10, and many of our measurements' conversion factors are powers of two.

Yet your favorite "yard" is a conversion factor of 3. And 12 inches is 2, 2, and 3.

As for not seeing it happening, I don't think most people in this country are going to want to switch. But there are some elements of the metric system we do use - soda comes in 2L bottles and there are many bottled waters that come in pints. But I haven't heard meter used outside a science class.

A pint isn't the metric system.

All that being said, unfortunately I doubt the U.S. will switch in my lifetime. I'll be quite happy to be wrong, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Huh? How? It's almost all base 10 with consistent prefixes.

I guess paralysis by analysis. 10 mm or 1 cm? That sort of thing.

You likely have just as much concept of a "yard." It wouldn't take long to adjust. It's like learning a new language. At first you mentally "convert" everything, and then you start thinking in that language, even dreaming in it.

This was certainly true with Spanish, and you're probably right - if I had to think it meters, I would probably grow into it.

Yet your favorite "yard" is a conversion factor of 3. And 12 inches is 2, 2, and 3.

I read this and blinked several times... you're right. There's a huge mental disconnect in my head. I suppose I was thinking of the liquid measures?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Ever tried drinking a "yard of ale"?

If so, how fast did you manage?

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

My wife and I both work in the school systems. From what I have read and understand there was a huge push in the school systems 2-3 decades ago to try and convert the U.S. to the metric system. This was done for many of the reasons already listed (it is easier, more common around the world, etc.). Despite this push and large amounts of money and education put into the school systems it simply did not take. Currently it is not really being taught in the schools other than to have a Unit/Chapter on the general topic.

My guess for why there has been resistance to the change is: "If what we already use is working fine then why change it" mentality. Not necessarily my own thought on the matter but what I suspect for the U.S. population as a whole.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

My wife and I both work in the school systems. From what I have read and understand there was a huge push in the school systems 2-3 decades ago to try and convert the U.S. to the metric system. This was done for many of the reasons already listed (it is easier, more common around the world, etc.). Despite this push and large amounts of money and education put into the school systems it simply did not take. Currently it is not really being taught in the schools other than to have a Unit/Chapter on the general topic.

Yes that is true. I was there. No one wanted to change and the idea was basically scrapped. I learned all the conversions and everything, but we only spent a couple of years on it in grade school. Nothing really stuck, although I can give you approximate distance conversions (maily from track and field), but temperatures are mostly a mystery except for -40, 0 and 100. Never quite got how if all the other numbers are so different that -40 Celsius and Farenheit could be the same.

My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I like the Imperial measurements… what’s more - I like Imperialism.

This is American ethnocentrism at its best.

What about the NFL and the way the field is measured? No longer would it be 100 yards but 91.44 meters - that simply messes everything up. Or how about baseball? Instead of saying the runner is just 90 feet from home plate to even things up, are we going to say the runner is just 27.43 meters from tying the score? Regarding golf, lately I’ve been watching The Golf Channel’s coverage from South Africa and everything is in meters, I have to break out a calculator to make the conversion - while we’re up and at it why don’t we convert to communism too.

The only reason I can see converting to the metric system is in regards to the measurement of one’s manhood: 20.32 centimeters might sound more impressive to the ladies than 8 inches - at least to the Imperialistic bimbos I date.

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

In all the posts I've read it is either one or the other. Whats wrong with a mixture of both.
I'm 6' 1 tall and weigh just over 13 stone, but I buy my food in grams, and when I go to the gym I lift kilos.
I buy my pepsi in 2litre bottles and drink it from 500ml glasses, but I drink pints of beer.
When I drive I get about 35 miles to the gallon, but I pay about 86p for each litre of fuel I fill up with.
If I am driving the national speed limit here is 70mph, but if I am measuring my own speed I would think of my 100 metre time.
I know where the 5meter and 25metre lines are on the rugby pitch, but I also know how many yards I hit each golf club.
I know 100F is hot and 30F is cold, although I am more comfortable with water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100, with 25 being a nice day to play golf.

Its really not difficult to switch between systems, so why not use both?

I'm suprised most people who do mechanical things aren't more used to using both systems also. Depending where your car\lawnmower\pedal bike etc comes from you probably use both metric and imperial allen keys and socket sets etc.

Never quite got how if all the other numbers are so different that -40 Celsius and Farenheit could be the same.

Finally, something about conversion factors I can help with:

F = (9/5)C + 32 So, set both to X to find out at which temperature they are the same. X = (9/5)X + 32 Solve for X: -32 = (4/5)X X = -40

-- Michael | My swing! 

Finally, something about conversion factors I can help with:

BAHHH! I'm on vacation! I can't even think of math right now!! haha

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

I like the Imperial measurements… what’s more - I like Imperialism.

nice... not saying I agree 100%... but old habits certainly die hard for most

I learned both in school, then as a draftsman I became increasingly reliant on the imperial system... then we got a bunch of jobs that needed to be metric and we were all struggled a bit... I am no longer a draftsman, and I never really use the metric system, so I am pretty much completely reliant on imperial methods these days. side note... I would love seeing the football field all screwed up... in hockey it doesn't really matter, so...
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

What the $^*$%* is 1 stone?

Driver Cleveland 460 Launcher 9.5*
Hybrids Cobra Baffler 2R, 3R, 4R
Irons Mizuno MX-23
Wedges Vokey 248.06, SM54.14 and SM60.04
Putter Rife Island Series AbacoBall Callaway Tour ix Rangefinder Bushnell 1500 Laser Rangefinder

What the $^*$%* is 1 stone?

14 pounds, just another way to measure weight. Its used in boxing every so often.

In my freestyle:
Driver: 10.5* G5 with UST V2
F.W. wood: 16* retro raylor with Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold
Irons: i5 3-pw. Stiff cs lite shafts
Wedges: 8620 51*, 56*, and 60* Putter: classics 1 34""Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Ever tried drinking a "yard of ale"?

8 seconds. But I was disqualified as half of if was down my front.

Dont give in to going metric! The Uk has been "had" big time .Those who oppose goverment legislation (selling goods in Ilb & oz) are prosecuted .Prices increased with decimalization and the change to going metric has seen the British consumer ripped off amongst the confussion

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Note: This thread is 5596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!