IGNORED

Groove Sharpening

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was talking with my golfing partner about sharpening the grooves on our wedges.

I had bought this (TGW) to just keep in the bag. I ended up using it to preserve my grooves on my three pervious Vokeys> worked quite well. But doesn't really do too much > wore out in a couple of months.

it shouldn't be used to keep grooves sharp > just to revive them a little more.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

The local shop here charges $20-30, (I can't remember exactly) and lets you keep the tool when he's done.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

• 10 months later...
do they work? I was hoping that this could be a cheap alternative to buying more and more wedges. Will it work with vokeys? also, how expensive will theyy be and how long will they last?
~Chris

In my vaporlite carry bag
DRIVER ft-5. 9* Mitsubishi Diamana BlueBoard 73 X-stiff
FWY WOOD: 980F 15 EI-70 X Stiff
Hybrid: Burner tour launch 4 hybrid
IRONS mp-57 4-pw with project x 6.5 shaftsPUTTER: Rossa Classic AGSI+ Monte Carlo WEDGES vokey spin milled oil can 52.08, 58.12Niblick 42*

do they work? I was hoping that this could be a cheap alternative to buying more and more wedges. Will it work with vokeys? also, how expensive will theyy be and how long will they last?

i dont know if they work but i believe phil mickelson uses them. they make them for vokeys and cost about 20 bucks on ebay.

they work quite good acually if you get the right one go to www.groovesharper.com those ones are good and if you don't mind me asking cris how fast is your swing speed
cause i dont know if you got the hot list edition of golf digest but it talk about a 14 with a 102 mph swing speed needing a x stiff and i swing roughly 104 103 and i play a stiff flex so i was just wondering how fast your swing speed was

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

They do not work. There is no such thing as a groove sharpener, as when you buy a new club the grooves are already "sharp" All those do are clean out your grooves. "sharpening your grooves would be illegal." Just use a brush and water.

They do not work. There is no such thing as a groove sharpener, as when you buy a new club the grooves are already "sharp" All those do are clean out your grooves. "sharpening your grooves would be illegal." Just use a brush and water.

There are at least 4 statements in your quote that are grossly incorrect.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

There are at least 4 statements in your quote that are grossly incorrect.

Name them, besides the first one being there are no groove sharpeners. I know there are, I'm just ignoring them. Give me a site's review on a "groove sharpener."

If the groove sharpener does what it says it will do, it would "sharpen" the grooves. This would have to cut some metal off, even slightly, increasing the volume, and as pretty much all modern wedges are at the max, this would render them illegal. If it is just a cleaning tool and cleans out dirt then that would be legal, but then it would have no purpose.

they work quite good acually if you get the right one go to

WEll, my swing speed is like 106 or so, when i went on the launch monitor yesterday to get fitted for a fwy wood and hybrid.

It seems that you have bad information, because three other people have said they do work. Just wondering where you heard that? And Sharpening your grooves would not be illegal if you kept them within USGA limits.

IRONS mp-57 4-pw with project x 6.5 shaftsPUTTER: Rossa Classic AGSI+ Monte Carlo WEDGES vokey spin milled oil can 52.08, 58.12Niblick 42*

It seems that you have bad information, because three other people have said they do work. Just wondering where you heard that? And Sharpening your grooves would not be illegal if you kept them within USGA limits.[/QUOTE]

First of all, how would you measure your grooves? Unless you work at like or another top company I doubt you could. And I'm pretty sure the job of grooves is to grab the ball, so it doesn't just spin off the clubface. I always thought that deeper grooves meant less spin, as it would be more resistance.

They work. They cleaned my grooves and removed burrs and made the edges sharper and the grooves wider and deeper. If clubs are new and grooves are good, sharpeners are really just groove cleaners....BUT if your clubs are old and the grooves are worn and mis-shapen, these surely work.

ps-cleaner corners on grooves and deeper and wider grooves increase backspin on a ball. Just ask cleveland wedge users that have the ZIP grooves.
G5,9
F-50,13.5
MP33(2-9)
SM,54.11MP-T,60.05Anser 2

If the groove sharpener does what it says it will do, it would "sharpen" the grooves. This would have to cut some metal off, even slightly, increasing the volume, and as pretty much all modern wedges are at the max, this would render them illegal. If it is just a cleaning tool and cleans out dirt then that would be legal, but then it would have no purpose.

Do groove sharpener's actually work within USGA limits? Yes...some do and some dont... but you have to be careful. When a wedge gets dull... it's not because the grooves have lost their sharp edges... its because your grooves are actually reducing in volume because of excessive use and wear. The groove edges start to fade and flatten out thus reducing groove size. A groove sharpener will only restore the groove to a certain width and depth unless you intentionally make them larger.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

winter golfer is exactly right it will return you grooves to the size they were before they got smaller with wear and tear

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

I have one that i use on my gap wedge,the grooves flatten out after a lot of use
and the regroover cuts back the grooves that have flattened out.I think its a great tool.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

winter golfer is exactly right it will return you grooves to the size they were before they got smaller with wear and tear

How do they get smaller? I don't get this, how does the U or V get smaller? Dirt and debris fill it, clean that out and you've got your original volume.

they do work, they cut the grooves to the usga max so they are very much legal. i also like to use a razor blade sometimes, it gets the dirt out very nicely, and doesnt sharpen the grooves past usga limits since the razor loosely fits into the blade. they are a good option to go with if u like to get the best out of your game and keep your equipment in good shape.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

My pro got some of his dentist tools to Clean the grooves. This does absolutely nothing to Sharpen them.
I might go ask my dentist for some of his old tools. I might also go and pick up a GROOVE SHARPENER
stowgolf. Ok i understand that you might not realize that the friction in the metal rubbing against the ball causes the grooves to get smaller, but its the truth.

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!