IGNORED

Do you like Boo?

PEZGolf
Note:Β This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I think Boo Weekley is great for golf, and is refreshing. He is a "good ole boy" without bad habits, unlike John Daly. He has "game" and still has a good time. Anyone who can win at the Harbour Town Golf Links two years in a row, make the US Ryder Cup team and be a winner on that team, is a "real player". He had to hold off a furious charge by Justin Rose yesterday, but he did it:

Weekley led 3 up through six holes but had to stage a furious rally with three birdies in his last four holes to beat Rose. The Englishman patiently chipped away at Weekley's early advantage, winning the next two holes with birdies and the ninth with a par to square the match. The shift in momentum was dramatic and suddenly Weekley found himself 2 down with four holes. That's when he turned into a birdie machine and won three of the next four, including the decisive 18th. Next match for Weekley: Sean O'Hair

He is capable of winning the whole darn thing. Would that not be "something to write about"? I wonder what the TV ratings would be if the finalists were Boo and Tiger or Boo and Phil? It could happen, you know.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I personally don't care for Boo, and his boyish ''Aw shucks'' attitude. Maybe it's just me, put the whole camo thing rubs me the wrong way too. I mean the guy put down the wrong score on Sergio Garcia's scorecard two days in a row at the Deutsche Bank Championship ( http://wheelhouse.blogspot.com/2007/...ot-on-his.html ). He had already had Garcia DQ'd for signing a wrong scorecard at the Players Championship. As I said, the guy just doesn't do it for me, another John Daly type.

I don't have a preference one way or another with Boo Weekley. He's not a guy I will change plans for to watch or root for in an emphatic way. However, he does bring some flare to the tour and seems to be a huge draw with the fans which is a good thing.

I wonder what the TV ratings would be if the finalists were Boo and Tiger or Boo and Phil?

I just don't see it with Phil, and I've never really been a fan. Great golfer, even better short game which I watch to possibly learn something, and I'm sure he's a decent guy. But he's not my cup of tea -- boorish, bland, and the only reason I'd watch him is if he was getting his butt handed to him by Tiger (or Boo) on Sunday. I don't know why exactly -- maybe it's because he hits from the wrong side of the ball.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Yep.

He's entertaining to watch and as you said, he's a John Daly without the unpleasant baggage.

It'll be interesting to see if he can hold it together though with his somewhat nonchalant, take it or leave it attitude towards golf.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with David in Fl, but I think the real aspect of his game is how simple of a swing he has. He simply pulls the club back and hits the ball, that is the kind of swing that will last.

CraigΒ 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

He's entertaining to watch and as you said, he's a John Daly without the unpleasant baggage.

That's interesting, I only found Daly entertaining because the extras.

And to answer the original question, no I don't like Boo.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10Β° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21ΒΊ Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52ΒΊ, 56ΒΊ,60ΒΊ Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

I mean the guy put down the wrong score on Sergio Garcia's scorecard two days in a row at the Deutsche Bank Championship (

ooh, didnt know about that. that really changes things then, thanks for posting that.

Colin P.

I like him. I mean he is good with the fans, which many pros aren't, and that is always good for the sport. Not to mention that he has game.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Without characters like Boo, Daly, Tiger etc. the PGA would not have been as fun to watch. I don't watch much of the European Tour, but it's usually just people playing, nothing special, nothin out of the ordinary.

In the end golf is just another entertainment show on TV. If everyone was nice and playing by the etiquette of golf it wouldn't have been any fun. It's the commitment of Tiger when he does a double fist pump after winning the US Open, the sloppyness of Boo, the rage of Sabbatini that give golf the extra notch to keep it interesting to watch. It's limited how interesting it would be to watch 60 guys play golf like robots all day long. You got the swing, the shots and the birdies of course, but it really needs that last touch.

Daly exaggerated sometimes, taking it so far it's not entertaining, but embarrasing. In match play you got the head to head competition, one of them is out that day. It's a very TV friendly type of match and I love to watch it. On an ordinary stroke tournament it's not really exciting until they play for the cut or the last round.

This is also why Tiger is such an important piece in all of this. He's got the talent and commitment that makes a great player. He can do magic on the course and never aim for anything but to win. There is no doubt about it when he's playing badly, but it still doesn't get in the way of a smile when the birdie or eagle drops. Watching a put slowly roll towards the hole, you can see the player clenching and using all of his willpower to make the ball go in the hole. One thing Tiger doesn't contribute to is the connection with the fans and audience. Something I can understand when everywhere he goes some guy is shouting "GET IN THE HOLE", but when he accasionally do make contact it's a huge thing. Like when he gave his glove to some guy he hit with his ball. The people present on the course want to be part of the game, not just a bunch of people watching the players.

I read an interesting article in Golf World (I think) this month about John Daly and how golf need character like him. I very much agree. Golf is a sport of gentlemen and they don't have to be rude or inappropiate on the course, or too much off the course, but they gotta do something to make it exciting.
Swing Vision and ProTracer are great stuff and the fans love it, I love it! It's one of those things that are actually interesting and also break the monotonous game that golf can be.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I personally don't care for Boo, and his boyish ''Aw shucks'' attitude. Maybe it's just me, put the whole camo thing rubs me the wrong way too. I mean the guy put down the wrong score on Sergio Garcia's scorecard two days in a row at the Deutsche Bank Championship (

In Boo's defense, They don't take kindly to countin' by numbers in the Florida panhandle.

..."No, sir. I never was good at math" - Boo.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I agree with David in Fl, but I think the real aspect of his game is how simple of a swing he has. He simply pulls the club back and hits the ball, that is the kind of swing that will last.

I agree with you. His swing is very simple and basic. The fact that he won two years in a row is proof that he is a great ball striker. Harbour Town Golf Links is not a long course, but it is one that requires hitting it straight and using good course management. Boo has shown that he has both qualities.

Yep.

Good post. Sports psycholigists try to teach golfers how to keep "their cool" when under pressure. Deep breathing, relaxing the arms, etc. are techniques they recommend. Boo seems to be naturally "cool" when under the gun.

I like Boo. He's a good ole boy and he is himself no matter what anyone may think of it.
Id agree that he is somewhat like John Daly, but Boo is what you might call a, "good" redneck because he doesnt have all the negative BS in the background going on like Daly does.
I also think its cool that he introduced camo to the world of golf. Im sure theres lots of people out there who hunt and fish, as well as play golf and love the idea of being able to sport camo shirts, hats and clubs out on the course.
Some people may not like that style and may think it has no place in golf, but at its worst, its way better than the style that Ian Poulter brings to golf.
I'll take camo over pink any day!!!

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

I'm a big fan of Boo Weekley. I like how he plays and how he carries himself. He's a regular quotable, too.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

I think he's obviously a redneck...like me. Also any good redneck will play the part for money, which Boo has.

No one can deny his golf ability and ball striking skills, he's the kind of guy you would bet(obviuosly if you didn't know him) if you're a good golfer.....and get your clock cleaned.

Boo is one of my favorites, along with JD, AK, Stricker, Justin L., Phil, Z Johnson, and Tiger. ( I know...painting with a broad brush)

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I like Boo. He smiles alot (even with chew in his mouth) and appears to be having a great time. He has an incredible short game (except for putting) and he will continue to do well. His biggest weakness is the bufet table and he should be advised to push away from the table/bar more frequently. Some of the golfers out there need to break 65 to give us a genuine smile (not talking about a fake smile tip of the hat move some guys do)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2Β  AD333

Yes. I like Boo.

He's just like John Daly.....except for the fact that he actually has a golf game, and isn't an idiot.
Just so that we're clear...I'm saying that John Daly has no golf game. And I'm saying that John Daly is in fact, an idiot.

Note:Β This thread is 5545 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!