IGNORED

Geoff Ogilvy - Way to hyped

Bluenoser67
Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very true. Johnny tends to grow fond of players that he can relate to (then again don't we all

Agreed. Ogilvy seems to be happy, content, and well grounded (unlike Sergio who likes to drive fast, play the field, and spit in cups (not spittoons, but actual golf holes) You have to treat the golf ball's home (the cup) with respect, or be prepared for the hammer of the golf gods.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

this is a joke, right? he is one of the most underrated players on tour. he knows how to win. end of story. Now Sergio is someone who is wayyy too hyped.

What's In My Bag

Driver R9 Supertri 9.5
3 WoodR9
3 Hybrid: Baffler DWSIrons X-20 Tour 4-PWGap Wedge RAC TP SmokeSand Wedge Vokey 56.14Lob Wedge Vokey SM 60.7Putter:SeeMore FGP Black

I agre with everyone who said he doesn't really get the hype he deserves. He's solid all around, stays pretty cool under pressure, and has some solid victories under his belt. IMO he's one of the best and most consistent players on tour.

In my Callaway stand bag:

9.5 Degree Taylormade Burner Superfast Adilla Voodoo shaft
3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree Adilla Voodoo shaft
Irons 3-SW: Callaway X-14 Steelhead

Lob wedge: Cleveland 60 degree

Putter: Ping Anser Karsten

Oglivy seems to have three swings, the full swing form which he never deviates from (driver-wedge) the bump n run around the green, and a putting stroke.

I'm a big fan of Ogilvy too. He keeps it pretty simple out there, and his swing is so pure. Why make it complicated? Golf is a game of consistency.

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I was more refering to his first win, the Mercedez in Hawaii.

You don't think it's really impressive to win a tournament comprised of only the previous year's tournament winners? He's beating a field of guys that know how to win and can close out a tournament. That's much more impressive than winning, say, the Viking Classic during the fall. (No offense is made to the tournament or last year's winner, Will Mackenzie. Just trying to show a comparison of fields).

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

this is a joke, right? he is one of the most underrated players on tour. he knows how to win. end of story. Now Sergio is someone who is wayyy too hyped.

I agree with you. Sergio seeks out the "spotlight", but Geoff just goes out and "gets the job done". Because of his reserved personality, Geoff is often overlooked, while Sergio gets more than his fair share of publicity, given his record (at least Geoff has won one Major---the US Open, and outdueled the best in the game over the last few holes in 2006 at Winged Foot).

"Bone" -- he is at present a better player than Mickelson, and will continue to be so. And, is at the moment the only player who would appear to have the game to give El Tigre a run for his money head to head.

I agree with you. He has shown that he is "cool" under pressure, and is good at managing his game, even when one part is a "bit off" that day.
I think some of the constant hype during the match play came from the Johnny Miller effect. Once Johnny decides that he likes a player, there will be hype about that player for the rest of the tournament.

You are right. He is very stubborn in his opinions. I still like him and at least he is willing to "stick his neck out" and call them as he sees them. I like Dottie Pepper for the same reason. Her comment during the Solheim Cup when she thought the mike was off was "vintage Dottie". The Americans were "freakin' choking dogs" on the 18th hole, and she was right. He's not the next big thing, he is the big thing right now. Who knows how he will fare at Augusta, but I put him as the favorite right now. I agree with you. He is the favorite, and deserves that designation.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

imo ogilvy at his best is second only to Tiger.

Well, I can agree with you there. But there are soooooooo many players that can also make that claim.

Probably every player in the world top 15 can say that "at their best" they are second only to Tiger, and be correct. ...............
Damn you people, this is golf!

Thanks for providing all the necessary evidence in proving you wrong. Tiger was in every one of those events that he won, minus the Mercedes, which he won wire to wire by playing some clutch golf like his eagle to save his front nine and five birdies down the stretch. As far as the major, no one ever talks about Paul Lawrie or even Paddy H two years ago (by now we know it wasn't a fluke). He shot the equivalent of a 66 to beat McIlroy and probably a 65/69 to beat Casey. He was no slouch for five days, not four. Plus he is the only multiple winner so far this year. Over-rated? Not at all. Reaching his potential. You bet.

What's in the Bag

Driver: Rapture 10.5*

3w: G10 15.5*5w: G10 18.5*3-UW i10 IronsSW: Vokey 54Putter: iWi Anser

I've always liked Ogilvy and I'm glad he's getting some attention. His swing is so smooth and effortless its just awesome to watch. I like how he's almost always expressionless and nothing seems to phase him. One of my favorite players.

Yes, I agree, and with the fact that you never see him making big predictions, he never guarantees wins, never gets cocky. Just steady old geoff. He's consistent- and consistently good.

I'm a big fan of Ogilvy after following him at Doral last year. He was paired with Els in an early round and I was able to watch that group hole by hole with only a few dozen other spectators, while Tiger's group was mobbed.

Ogilvy is even more calm and unconcerned in person. Plus his swing is a delight. The only weakness I saw was an occasional blocked drive, not far in the rough. Sure it's a one dimensional style, but in a good way. You never get the feeling he'll screw up and out think a shot.

I've played two rounds since Sunday and I'm convinced Ogilvy's style has helped me shave a few shots, at least so far.

I've been taking relaxed short practice swings in more of a baseball style, feeling the weight of the clubhead.

But I agree Ogilvy is somewhat overhyped, at least in terms of projection toward multiple majors. In 20+ years in Las Vegas I've learned not to overreact to recency. It's how good are you, not how good are you playing. Ogilvy is darn impressive but I get the feeling he's a bit like Fred Couples in the early '90s, even if subconsciously, someone who doesn't want to be swamped with too much condensed success and the annoying phone calls that automatically attach. He looks awesome, then disappears for a while in the middle of the pack.

I watched the coverage over the weekend and agree that NBC was touting him pretty highly. To say he's among the favorites at Augusta already may be a stretch, but if he keeps playing at his current level they're right to consider him a contender. No doubt that he played really well over the week - especially going 12 under on the final 30+ holes (matching Tiger's preformance when he killed Cink last year... which yes, NBC noted about 5 times) Also a good point about winning in smaller fields, hadn't noticed that.

isnt it NBC's job to 'hype' players. they are down to the final 8 and then 4 then 2, why should they hype someone who is already eliminated, it makes no sense, they have a person they need to follow so hype them all they want!

I think Ogilvy is a great player. He definitely has potential to compete at all of the majors and be a serious top 3 or 4 contender. I try not to pay attention to all of the hype the media creates. NBC and TGC are both horribly bad about that.

They showed vid of Ogilvy on the Golf Fix this week. He may end up needing a swing overhaul in the future if he acquires lowerback problems. He's young and healthy now. . .shouldn't have to worry about it for awhile.

There's something about Ogilvy's steady game and stoic demeanor this is well suited to the ardors of match play. He might make a good poker player too, who knows. At any rate, he's certainly enjoying some hype now (deserved in my opinion), but even after his first win early this year, he was not exactly being touted as some sort of Tiger-killer. Wrongly so, it turns out. Admittedly, I'm gloating a bit, because I actually picked him to win the Accenture. Yay, me.

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

Look the only media to listen to is the golf channel when it comes to this kinda thing. Every other network has a bunch of idiots covering golf. Geoff imo is the only golfer on tour that can contend with Tiger at this moment in time. The reason i say that is becuase of the fact that he can putt.....lights out. He also is a great wedge player, Wedge play is probly the second most important thing when you want to win on tour. But one of his best qualities is that thing in between his ears. He has a great mental game and plays well under pressure. Anyone on tour can hit the ball far and straight and stripe their irons. But the guys who win have the head the wedge play and a hot putter end of story.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Just finished watching Geoff Oligvy's media conference on PGAtour.com and he is my new favorite player. Man here is one of those cases where the guy you see on the golf course is completely different from the guy off the course. What a down to earth, humble and genuine individual.

I have already posted before in this thread stating that I don't think he's over hyped...I think he flies under the radar and deserves more attention.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Just finished watching Geoff Oligvy's media conference on PGAtour.com and he is my new favorite player. Man here is one of those cases where the guy you see on the golf course is completely different from the guy off the course. What a down to earth, humble and genuine individual.

I agree with you, but thankfully, he was the cover story in this week's "Golf World" and is starting to get the attention that he deserves. It appears that he is headed for a banner year.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

• 2 weeks later...
I hear you...but that's just the style of Miller/NBC etc. Johnny can over state things. I don't think it's hype. Ogilvy is real. I think he will win more majors...many more. And he is indeed "smooth"...his swing, his personality, and he's cool without trying too hard at anything. His match play stats are astounding.

Note: This thread is 5524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!