IGNORED

Etiquette: Eating/Break at the Turn

Tienshiao
Note:Β This thread is 1051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm still relatively new to golf. I've been primarily playing 9 hole executive courses.

I've played 18 hole courses a couple of times. On some of the courses, there's a menu at the 9th hole allowing you to order food for later at the turn.

Now my question is, what is the proper etiquette for eating at the turn? Are you suppose to pick it up and eat and play at the same time, or is it OK to take a short break and chill out (essentially letting groups behind you to play through)?

I'm curious what is considered "normal" behavior.

Thanks,

Tienshiao

Great question.

The groups that I've played in have always embraced the "grab-n-go" approach if you are getting anything to eat. Getting the "sit down" lunch or beer if wanted....after the round.

Quite often on our home course it becomes something to consider. We have a great grill that is used by many...not just golfers. It can become very busy between 11:00-1:30. People are able to orded ahead though, using the gps comunication system in the cart....just push a few buttons between shots and your food will be ready at the turn.....magic.

I've never had anyone object to being passed at the turn if they were parked at the grill. It's usually a super place to get ahead of a slower group.

I've never played well when I've stopped for lunch while playing...I do much better maintaining the pace of play and staying with it. Delays become distractions....distractions can become too great....except of course on the days where the beverage cart girl is really attractive.....very allowable distraction there.

• Like 1
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I rarely take any sort of break at the turn unless I need something to drink. I am with Dub in that delays become distractions, I like to stay in the groove. I have always know people I play with to eat-on-the-go if they get something. I have had groups ahead of me who will go inside, sit down and chill and grab a bite. We will just pass them and go on our way.

Usually there is always a delay at the 10th tee, especially if the course is busy, so there is never a big rush to get something to eat. Just be polite if you happen to take a long time and let the group behind go through if they want.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Yeah, the letting people through part is fine, but after that, when you decide to re-start onn the back 9, you have to cut another group off, which having been that group many times, pisses me off big time. Why don't we all just grab-n-go?
  • Like 1

Yeah, the letting people through part is fine, but after that, when you decide to re-start onn the back 9, you have to cut another group off, which having been that group many times, pisses me off big time. Why don't we all just grab-n-go?

I am with Pat007, I agree that people should not even consider sitting down to eat at the turn. Our course has a half way house that is always stocked with hot dogs and sandwiches that are easy to grab and go. Personally I don't understand why courses don't try and accommodate this, as it keeps things moving on the course. I have been to some courses that make you walk way out of your way to get a drink or something to eat between nines. I find in order to keep my energy up the whole round snacking through the round is often necessary and when I forget to bring stuff, having to walk off the beaten path makes it rather annoying and often time consuming. Just my 2 cents.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9Β  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |
Β 

Usually, I am a grab-n-go guy, but sometimes it depends on how the front nine went. If I am having a poor day I might decide to take a break at the turn to eat. No problem with people passing.

I also have no problem with groups coming back into line at the tenth tee. Generally there are a few carts lined up. Now...if they were to shoot up in front of people already in line, that would be different. On the tenth, it's first come first serve. If you stop to eat you risk falling behind a few groups. If you don't stop, it's not like anybody who did will slow you down any. If they didn't stop they would be in front of you anyway, so if they cut in to start the back nine as you are coming off the ninth, who cares?

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

If I am having a poor day I might decide to take a break at the turn to eat. No problem with people passing.

A good benchmark is 15 minutes a hole. If you decide to sit after the turn and let 1-2-3 groups (it really doesn't matter) go through you will be a minimum of 15 minutes behind your scheduled time. At that point it becomes a snowball effect and all of the groups behind you suffer. IMO all courses should incorporate the "grab-n-go" philosophy. Once one group decides to "sit" and eat it could potentially impact the pace of play for the entire day.

Imagine if 1 of every 4 groups decided to "sit" at the turn…it could get real ugly and potentially lead to 5 1/2 + hour rounds later in the day.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7Β Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN:Β 10436305

A good benchmark is 15 minutes a hole. If you decide to sit after the turn and let 1-2-3 groups (it really doesn't matter) go through you will be a minimum of 15 minutes behind your scheduled time. At that point it becomes a snowball effect and all of the groups behind you suffer. IMO all courses should incorporate the "grab-n-go" philosophy. Once one group decides to "sit" and eat it could potentially impact the pace of play for the entire day.

I'll have to agree. Usually a banana or apple will tide me over until I am finished. If we get to the 10th tee and there are 2 groups waiting that are trying to get back in line, I'm usually NOT happy. Why should I have to wait because they wanted to take a break? This is where a good Ranger comes into play. This scenario us a rarity for us because they tend to keep the groups moving and warn them if they decide to do more than take a bathroom or beverage break.

As others have said, if you take a break you create a gap between the group in front of you and those following you. When you try to return, you're trying to force your group between two groups where there is no gap.

You absolutely should not do that.

Grab and go......and only then when you can do so without falling out of your current position.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay...I can agree with the logic...I know when I've been beat.

That said, I guess I am fortunate to usually play on courses that space out their tee times appropriately and/or have efficient marshalls. I haven't run into a situation where someone coming off a break at the turn has greatly disrupted the flow.
Much more common for things to get screwed up because of a groups slow play.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

this all depends on how im playing and "where" im playing...

if im playing crappy on the front 9... ill take a break and am willing to lose my place in line and will wait my turn to get back into the thick of it for the back... most of the time a break will make me play a completely different game

if im playing another course i frequent... the "turn" isnt where you think it would be... this course has the clubhouse and grill between both of their courses... so its off the 1st and 18th hole of both courses... they have a snack shop in a very awkward location on the front 9 of one of their courses... somewhere 'around' the 7th... after that you have to wait till you finish up at the clubhouse... i havent played the other course yet but hear its similar... so its pretty much grab and go only until you get to the last hole... sucks if youre a female and need to use a bathroom
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Okay...I can agree with the logic...I know when I've been beat.

You haven't been "beat"......just disagreed with. Everyone has their own preferences and what bothers some of us might not cause others to blink. And a lot of my disdain for the practice in question is caused by the lack of respect by the "stopped" party when trying to get back on the course. Unfortunately...not everyone out there is as polite and thoughtful as they should be.

IMO, sitting down and eating is the no no. I certainly see nothing wrong with going to the bathroom and grabbing a dog or snack on the way to the 10th. Scarf it down and be on your way.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I agree with the majority here. Grab a granola bar or banana from home and put it in your bag. If you need to, grab a dog at the turn and go. I like "links" layouts because there's no stopping at the turn since there is no clubhouse to stop at.

Driver: Tour Burner TP 9.5* Whiteboard Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19*
Irons: 4-pw Mp-32 S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56* and 60*
Putter: Newport 2 34" 340gBall: Pro-V1 or NXT-tourShoes: Adidas Tour 360 LTD

IMO, sitting down and eating is the no no. I certainly see nothing wrong with going to the bathroom and grabbing a dog or snack on the way to the 10th. Scarf it down and be on your way.

I'm going to have to agree with these guys, if the course is busy stopping for an extended period will certainly screw someone's pace up... as if weekends aren't slow enough already. However, if it is a slow day and the course isn't busy, do whatever you want.

I personally don't like stopping for longer than bathroom and quick snack... it breaks the flow.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5Β° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14Β° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18Β°) & 3h(20Β°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52Β°-10Β° & 58Β°-10Β°; Odyssey...

For the most part, the break at the turn has become a thing of the past. On private courses, there remains a bit of difference in culture where the lunch break at the turn is easier to accommodate. On a busy public course however, stopping for lunch usually means you lose your turn and you can't just pop back in whenever you are ready.

On a busy day it is best to grab and go.

Grab n' go is the way to go for me...I don't mind if somebody in our group wants to sit down and relax and let the group behind us pass in front. Thing is , there's always peope that will abuse this, and push their breaks to 10 minutes or more... Me and my best friend once played with 2 other guys who wanted to have 1-2 beers at the bar at the turn...I just told them: ''Sure ! go ahead , but i'm not waiting for you guys''.

What i do usually , is try to get out of the restaurant/clubhouse before, or at the same time as the group behind us arrives at the 10th , or at the clubhouse if their taking a break ( which they usually do...).

P.S: I usually play horrible wen i eat hot-dogs at the turn...Weird but true :p

Driver : Sasquatch 5900 aka ''The square thing''
Hybrid : 3DX 18*
Irons : TA6
Wedges : tour action 588 Reg. 56*
Rac Satin 60*Putter : Eye2 black dotBalls : Pro V1x or E6+Bag : Carry bag

back in the day it was standard practice to grab a bite at the turn, so no one was in a big hurry. I am all about faster play, as a matter of fact, I hate slow play... but I don't understand why everyone wants to hurry up and finish playing a game they love to play. If a group wants to grab a bit at the turn, they lose their place on the course, and have to be worked back in when there is a chance... not just when they want to go. They might have to wait for more than a few groups to play through before there is amble break to get back on the course.... unless they buy the group behind them a round of beers to jump back on the course.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Note:Β This thread is 1051 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!