IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

I think it has to be Tiger for me, but to be honest Jack given the clubs of today (technology) I think Jack would be on par with Tiger.

RIP Our Brave Little Baby Callam Liu, Still Born 12.37pm, 30th October 2007

- VR Cavity irons
- R7 Driver
- V Steel (2006) Fairway (3 Wood)- V Steel (2006) Fairway (5 Wood)- Rescue Mid Fairway (19 Degrees)- Titleist Vokey (Lob Wedge)- Scotty Cameron (Putter)

Jack had tougher competition -- relative to his skill. The competition is just as tough now, but Tiger is that much better.

I *think* Jack came in 2nd more than any golfer in history.

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

both best of there times

We can all agree with this one...I feel Tiger has the mental edge over Jack but this is kind of "What came first-the chicken or the egg" type of debates..

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

We can all agree with this one...I feel Tiger has the mental edge over Jack but this is kind of "What came first-the chicken or the egg" type of debates..

I don't know how anyone could have a mental edge over Jack.

I think the term "course management" was invented to describe him. Even though Tiger amazes me totally, he has no rivals. Jack had to stare down the likes of Player, Palmer, Casper, and Weiskopf in the last 3 holes and beat them. That's mental toughness. Until Tiger weakens or somebody gets good enough to challenge him regularly, I don't think we'll see just how mentally tough he is. I'll forgo the entire story but Sam Snead told me that nobody concentrated better than Jack.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

still, if tiger is greater than jack or jack is greater than tiger, no one can equal harry vardon

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

still, if tiger is greater than jack or jack is greater than tiger, no one can equal harry vardon

Having the most-used golf grip and the PGA scoring title named after you is something neither have achieved.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Having the most-used golf grip and the PGA scoring title named after you is something neither have achieved.

and no one had as much fun as the haig, a different babe or two every night, wore the most flaming outfits, fought the high-brow establishment by embarrassing them giving pga golfers the respect they deserve all in the guise of a party or a picnic... a forty year party, raises cup to walter hagen

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I Started playing about the time Tiger started to get big so as a 13 or 14 year old kid just learning to play golf I thought the world of Tiger Woods.

Now that I'm older I know who Jack is and have a huge amount of respect for him and what he has done for the sport. That being said their is said I still hold a special respect for my first sports idol and so I pick Tiger.

• Administrator
I don't know how anyone could have a mental edge over Jack.

Easy... by being Tiger Woods. I think he's got the edge.

I think the term "course management" was invented to describe him.

That doesn't mean Tiger hasn't taken course management to a new level.

Even though Tiger amazes me totally, he has no rivals.

Seems like you need to read an article JP published on Thursday...

I'll forgo the entire story but Sam Snead told me that nobody concentrated better than Jack.

Sam Snead died in 2002 and was not at all a contemporary of Tiger Woods. Contemporaries of Ben Hogan might have said the same thing about him (and did).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2008 could be the Year of the Tiger.

not according to the chinese calendar, 2008 year of the rat

Tiger, unquestionably. I could write a book on the reasons why he is better, but I won't. Jack played golf when it was a game for dorks and rich people, that didn't make much money. Tiger dominates in an era that is, by far, way more competitive than it was in Jack's day. The stakes are higher, and the courses are much much harder. I have paramount respect for Jack, but when all is said and done, there will never be another Tiger for a long long time.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Way too early to make any solid comparisons yet, apart from how they play the game - and I'd rate them as follows:
Driving - Nicklaus
Irons - Even
Short-game - Woods
Putting - Woods (long) / Nicklaus (short)

Also, it's too early to rate their competiton (and Major winners), too:
Nicklaus (18)
Player (9)
Watson (8)
Palmer (7)
Trevino (6)
Floyd (4)
Miller (2)

vs.

Woods (13)
Singh (3)
Els (3)
Mickelson (2)
Goosen (2)

However, can anyone see Els, Singh or Goosen adding that many more to their tally? It's guys like Scott, Ogilvy, Rose, Garcia, Stenson , etc, to start winning multiple Majors otherwise, I can see Woods hitting 20+ Majors.

10 years to go yet before the final analysis can be drawn up.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Administrator
Driving

I'd agree with that in general until you get to Nicklaus (short). Tiger makes more short putts (inside of 10 feet, inside of 5 feet) than anyone. Your memory bank doesn't include the weeks Jack wasn't putting well because he missed putts that week, but Tiger goes nearly a year between misses inside of three feet and sometimes months between misses inside of 5'. He's gone whole tournaments holing everything inside of 10'.

Also, it's too early to rate their competiton (and Major winners), too:

You must have missed last week's article by JP...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Babe or the Mick? Wilt or Michael? Walter Johnson or Randy Johnson?

Very good points... all sports have their greats, and their young phenoms... eventually we will compare Tiger to the next (see: MJ or King James) I know this, he has made the game very interesting to a lot of people who may have never stopped channel surfing on a Sunday afternoon.