IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

OK, can the great "Tiger" come back from a deficit? He hasn't yet!!
Until Mr. Woods can show me that he can play under pressure, he will not be even number 3.
Until Tiger makes a come from behind win that even comes close to the 1986 Masters win by Jack, he is just another guy that did well on the PGA tour.
If you didn’t see it(the final 9 at the 1986 Masters) , you missed the greatest 9 holes in golf EVER!
Tiger just doesn’t measure up, and I for one don't think he ever will.

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

• Administrator
OK, can the great "Tiger" come back from a deficit? He hasn't yet!!

Jack never won majors by 12 and 15 shots, either.

I think it's unfair to criticize Tiger for being such a great front-runner. Jack lost 54-hole leads in the majors, too. Tiger hasn't, and Tiger's lapped fields, too, along with setting scoring records. Jack also never held all four majors at one time either. Tiger's pace is faster than even Bobby Jones' pace. For that reason, I say Tiger's #1, with Bobby and Jack tied for second (Bobby didn't have quite the competition of Jack or Tiger). I'm a "pace" guy - if Tiger's pace slows, he'll drop in my mind.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Jack never won majors by 12 and 15 shots, either.

Well said... Tiger IS #1 in my book... and will surpass Jack's record with time...

Currently in my titleist.gif X86 stand bag:

taylormade.gif R7 Superquad 9.5* (Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board); taylormade.gif R7 15*; titleist.gif 585H 21*, adams.gif ---*; --- 4-9 (KBS); vokey.gif [48*], 56*, 60* (SM); cameron.gifStudio Select Newport 2 Midslant 34"

Ball - titleist.gif Pro V1X

Well said... Tiger IS #1 in my book... and will surpass Jack's record with time...

Um, no, his pace isn't faster than Jones'. Jones started winning majors at the age of around I believe 21 or 22, 6 or 7 years later, at the age of 28, he retired with 13 majors to his name. Tiger didn't do that. Tiger wasn't even close. I think by the time Tiger was 28 he had 8. Not even close to 13.

I watched Jack nearly his whole career. The fields were tough. Often Jack dominated, often he came in 2nd or worse. He won more than his peers, but he did not rise above the competition like Tiger has ... so far.

It is too early to give Tiger "the best." Obviously, if he breaks the records, he'll have the best record.

I'll tell you this, I loved watching Trevino, Watson, Player, Chi Chi, Hubert Green, Weiskopf and all...then Seve, Norman and that crew. All were distinct shotmakers and, to me, great and innovative golfers. When Tiger isn't in contention or playing, I don't have the same thrill -- and the players absolutely are not as fiery and hungry.

And that's not just an oldtimer speaking. It's the experience of an eyewitness.

But the only way you younger folks can judge "the best" is by the record book. For me, books are for reading. It ain't all of golf. Golf is a little more thrilling.

Today, if I had to choose between watching Jack Nicklaus at his prime or Lee Trevino at his prime, I choose Lee. Lee always had a good chance of winning...but winning isn't everything. :)

TS

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

Tiger has the advatange of exceptional technology...I can only imagine what Jack would have done with such equipment in his prime...Tiger would have only seen Jack's dust...he will always be THE MAN!!

• Administrator
Tiger has the advatange of exceptional technology...I can only imagine what Jack would have done with such equipment in his prime...Tiger would have only seen Jack's dust...he will always be THE MAN!!

So does Tiger's competition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both are awesome.

Sometimes though I think Tiger is the best thing and worst thing that's happened to golf. If he's in a tournament, people flock to see him. But if he is out, nobody watches the game!

The interesting thing is that he has competition all around him. But the powers that be aren't marketing rivals well enough. I keep thinking that golf needs a big hype event (one on one, perhaps) in prime time, like a skins game.

Anyway, we're fortunate to have such talent in the sport!

later.
Tom P.

In my bag:

Orlimar TI440 driver
Orlimar VT830 3 wood
Orlimar HT830 19 degree hybridGigagolf KC2 irons 4-SW

Honorable mention to Lee Trevino. My favorite moment. 1987 skins game from WAILEA, Maui. Lee hits first and holes it!

His competition? Hale Irwin, Gary Player, and Jack!

Wow

In my bag:

Orlimar TI440 driver
Orlimar VT830 3 wood
Orlimar HT830 19 degree hybridGigagolf KC2 irons 4-SW

I kinda agree with iacas on this one. You kinda have to look at the entire era surrounding each golfer. There are plenty of people hitting farther, and better than tiger. Look at his stats on ESPN's golf page, the only categories he's 1st in is eagles, earnings, and fedex cup points.

As of right now, Nicklaus is the greatest of all time. When Tiger's career is over, then a true comparison can be made based on tournaments they one, popularity, etc. Just my $0.02
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

i am a new golfer and part of the newer generation of golf fanatics so i would have to say, Tiger is the greatest. its hard to say right now, because Tiger is not close to the end of his career. But from what i've heard, read and watched, jack had more mental strength, especially in the back nines and he would consistantly step up his game physically and mentally when he neede to. Plus, his competition was more aggressive back then, from what i've heard....

Grom
Hibore Driver 10.5
Hibore Fairway 15 deg
Hibore Hybrid 19 deg
Launchers 4-PW & D 588 Gun Metal 56 deg White Hot XG #9

I think Tiger has the most complete game. There really isn't much he isn't best at, apart from driving. I really think that if he could hit more fairways he would be untouchable. So Tiger gets my vote

Jack has been a true ambassador for the game. Tiger is technically phenomenal at the mechanics of the game but I believe he'll have to pay his dues that only time can bring for him to get to Jack's level.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Depends how you look at it. Tiger has a more complete game. Nicklaus was comparatively much longer than Tiger off the tee. I think Nicklaus was the better clutch putter. Tiger has better short irons and is much better with a wedge in his hands.

If you go by results, then today Nicklaus was better. Tomorrow Tiger will surely catch and pass him.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...