IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Sam Snead may not have been a contemporary of Tiger's but he was a contemporary of Hogan's - I believe they played together/against each other from when they were teenagers. OK, Sam had a niggling rivalry with Hogan but even allowing for that, I think his opinion about Jack's concentration deserves some weight.

Nice article written on the home page here about comparing relative competition. Gave nice perspective to the argument that Tiger faces "weaker" competition. Time will reveal Tiger to be the best player to ever play this game.

If the 2 played golf in the same era, everyone else would definately be playing for 2nd place 98 of 100 weekends they both were playing.

I think Tiger has a mental edge over Jack though. Also...I love to watch Tiger in red...on Sunday's he's unbelievable...most of the time.

does anyone know if Jack Nicklaus will make a celebrity appearance one dya at a major, maybe The Open or the Masters?

Id love to see him turn up and overshadow Tiger one day.

Jack contended in the Open a few years back at his age which was amazing.

Jack was great but Tiger has done alot for the game off the course, he's responsible for a new surge of interest in the last decade...not to mention there's nothing like seeing his swing when he rips a drive.

Tiger

Driver: Cobra somthin
3 wood: Big Bertha Warbird (yeah its old)
5 wodd: Big Bertha Warbird
Irons: TaylorMade 360 3-PW
SW: Titleist 981SL (54*)LW: Titleist Vokey 58*Putter: Odessey Duel Force 2

Can't really compare the two that much. Technology has changed, physical training has changed dramatically, and there wasn't much being done along the lines of sports psychology in Jack's time. Just like any other sport, hard to compare athletes of different eras.

I'm not 100% sure.... but I'm leaning towards Tiger. He's very athletic, and generally more consistent from what I've seen. But then again, I don't know wtf I'm talking about :D

I personally think Tiger's superior physical conditioning and mental game will allow him to have a longer career than Jack as well. Jack did win the Masters at 46, but that was his only major the last 10 years of his pre-Senior Tour career. I can see Tiger winning tourney's into his 50's. The only question is, will he have enough desire to WANT to after having 25 majors in the bag by then.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Jack did win the Masters at 46, but that was his only major the last 10 years of his pre-Senior Tour career.

On a point of information...Jack was born in January 1940 and so turned 50 in January 1990. He won two more Majors - the US Open and the PGA - in 1980, which just fall within your 10 years criterion...

I like Jacks swing better, but as far as being under pressure hats off to Tiger for never choking.

And, indeed, for having the good grace to never queue-jump and win from behind...

(oh, my, aren't I wicked?)

I voted Jack simply because he is the best to play the game to date. Tiger will one day surpass Jack and become the greatest. There is no doubt about that. He just hasn't done that quite yet.

I always bring up the argument of the level of competition Jack and Tiger faced. I really do believe golf is at a higher level of play now than it was 20-30 years ago. Course modifications keep the scores at competitive numbers.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

tiger- mainly becaseu of his ****ing arms...bonerific!

Yes i know did anyone see him on the newest Golf Digest--i wouldnt want to mess with him...hes a buff guy

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."