IGNORED

What Are You Working On?

iacas

Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Practice chipping and pitching for the last two days for about 1 - 2 hours each day and played 18 holes today. I was even on the front nine with 4 out of 4 up and downs including two sand saves. I shot 6 over on the back nine including a lost ball double bogie and 4 bogies.

I struck a couple of irons shot better than ever and drove the ball well. very pleased with the short game practice results overall, but still need more practice.

Driving. Not as in off the tee, but as in driving the club head through impact (rather than throwing it away) and driving the ball into the ground.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, today I had my wife video my swing. I have known for quite some time what a good swing looks like but what you THINK you swing like and what you ACTUALLY swing like are two different things. The results were pretty enlightenling and as soon as I am able, I will post the video of it. But what I gather by looking at it is a few things:

1. On Irons I seem very hunched over, not standing up straight enough imo.
2. On the back swing I notice that I go even further down as my club goes up. Judging from the tape, it's at least a 3 inch drop
3. My shoulder turn is great but it seems my wrist is cocked at the top of my swing, leading to the shaft going perpindicular with the ground instead of parallel.
4. My tempo is steady which is good I think. It doesn't appear that I rush the swing.
5. My release looks early, which could be the reason I don't get as much distance as my playing partners.

I think if I can get these addressed I will significantly increase my distance and ball striking ability.

Another thing I have been working on this week is club face at impact. I hit alot of balls that pushed right, some WAY right, so I started keying on the swing thought of "rolling my forearms" on the downswing. The result was MUCH straighter shots.

Still working on Stack and Tilt. Went to the closed Par 3 course and hit about 25-30 eight irons to one of the old greens from about 145 yards and managed to hit more than half on. The misses were a couple of pulls long and left and a few shots that were thin and short right. I feel like a made much better contact than I did yesterday, although I did hit some nice five irons yesterday as well.

Still working on Stack and Tilt. Went to the closed Par 3 course and hit about 25-30 eight irons to one of the old greens from about 145 yards and managed to hit more than half on. The misses were a couple of pulls long and left and a few shots that were thin and short right. I feel like a made much better contact than I did yesterday, although I did hit some nice five irons yesterday as well.

Peaks... valleys... hit more balls today and was just terrible.

Or... as Charles Barkley would say... tuuurrrible. Just tuuurrrible.

From the tee I have been working on putting the ball at the proper height, better stance and alignment to the ball and swinging not so much with my arms but trying to use my back and core muscles to help me bring the club through the zone. It seems to be working. I am still not killing it with my driver, but my drives have been going straighter and about 220-230 yards or so.

After my round today and what I've been thinking for the past couple weeks, I'm having a mental issue of bridging the gap between practice swings and real swings. I need to not focus on hitting the ball on my real swings since it causes me to relapse into my flipping habits. Might play tomorrow morning and that'll be my main focus.

Multiple areas:

1). 4 and 5 irons. I had a very open stance which was adjusted by my local pro, however I still have a slight fade at the end of the shot. Additionally, these clubs are prone to more 'chunking' for me - hitting the ground 2-3 inches before the ball resulting in a mis-hit.

2). Consistent stroke on chips. I haven't figured out my chipping yet. I try to stick with a sand wedge, however my swing is vastly different when in close compared to further out. This has recently led to me hitting most shots long (landing the ball at my target rather then letting it release to the hole). I also have very little spin on shorter chips - I can't stop anything.

3). Core strength. Stomach, shoulder and back exercises have really helped my game. Hitting through more shots, better divots, etc. I'd like to keep it up through the winter to see where I end up next spring.

I am new to this forum and have been playing golf for about 4 years off & on (more off than on!)

I have currently gotten back into golf and am working on not slicing my shots (especially with my driver).

I have seen "The Golf Fix" show on correcting slices but what do you guys think I should do?

Working to avoid having swing lapses. For whatever reason, I can be going along pretty well and all of a sudden I shank a ball out of nowhere and it just seems to progress. It's happened to me on the course and lately on the range. It got to the point where I just left the range because there was no point in staying there shooting hosel rockets.

Other than that, I've been working on putting still and also my short irons being even more consistent.

Note: This thread is 2257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!