IGNORED

Look at the Shaft Flex on an 85-yard 7-Iron

iacas
Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried what you did yesterday. Club back to perpendicular and fire through. I felt the shaft bend more than it usually does. I was hitting it 150%, nothing I would normally do. The ball went 30-40 yards shorter, but it was hard to get a good impact.

Speed is the key here. If you really crank it up and swing hard, it is possible. I can't record anything for a couple of weeks, but I definately got the feeling of the shaft bending.

To sum up; I'm a believer.
The reason you rarely see this is that you need a lot of speed and torque for it to happen. Not something to pull off on the course.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I tried what you did yesterday. Club back to perpendicular and fire through. I felt the shaft bend more than it usually does. I was hitting it 150%, nothing I would normally do. The ball went 30-40 yards shorter, but it was hard to get a good impact.

Good on you to actually try it rather than to just debate it from a theoretical standpoint.

To be fair, though they may not be your tempo or your normal swings, they are mine. My contact was fine, and I've always had a fast tempo. I'll send you a PM.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

People need to be a little more open minded I think.

Saying it's not possible just because you've never seen it when you or someone else swings is kinda ridiculous because as fast as the swing happens our eyes and brain are not fast enough to process the shaft being bent that much while it is rapidly accelerating towards the ball.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

People need to be a little more open minded I think.

Agree 100%. What would be the point in faking the photo(s). I say take the man at his word.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, these pictures are truly incredible!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

BTW:

Erik, help me out. I'm having trouble understanding the mechanics behind the extreme shaft deflection here!

I can make sense of the images you originally posted, which suggests the shaft is lagging behind the hands, as the hands are moving fast. For the forward deflection I could also understand it if happened immediately after impact - the shaft spring forward after escaping the breif resistance of the ball / turf? Feel free to correct me if this is the wrong idea. However, what is the science behind the guy's shaft in the swing check, how can it deflect so much before it's even come into contact with anything? Does it mean that in this case, the hands have slowed down and the clubhead has somehow become faster?
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

Wow!!! That is crazy looking!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Looks like a result of casting and perhaps wrong shaft flex. Very doable if you load the club, gain speed, then cast it out before impact. On my own videos I see the shaft bending a bit before impact when I cast, but no where near something like that. Still, it's a driver, they are supposed to flex a bit. I'm more amazed over the 7i Erik used.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I dont need to be lookin at this crap...now im going be thinking my shafts are too weak everytime i hook a shot left....

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

However, what is the science behind the guy's shaft in the swing check, how can it deflect so much before it's even come into contact with anything? Does it mean that in this case, the hands have slowed down and the clubhead has somehow become faster?

I took those screenshots as his backswing, where his hands are taking the club back faster than the head can keep up with. Is that the downswing?!

In my Acuity bag:

Driver: HiBore XL
Woods: Acuity 3 Wood and 3I-hybrid
Irons: Acuity oversized cavity backs 4 - PWWedges: Tourney Silver Scot 192Putter: Acuity half-malletBall: XL 5000 Super Straight

I took those screenshots as his backswing, where his hands are taking the club back faster than the head can keep up with. Is that the downswing?!

I also thought that ...at first. Then I noticed that his weight is on his front foot.

Shaft flex is the holy grail ensuring solid contact (compression) and resisting errant shots. In fact it is hard to intentionally shape shots when you have a lot of flex. Shaft flex is generated and maintained through steady acceleration of the clubhead.

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but 60 FPS is pretty damn slow for any fast moving or high speed objects. When you look at those swing speed camera's on television, they are shooting at 1000+ fps easily. When you can capture that many frames in one second, the transition from point a to b is more linear on the screen. When a 60 fps normal camera is shooting a swing, the movement from a to b is a big jump the one frame to the next so that will typically be some kind of blur as the image processor tries to smoothly link the two frames together.

• Administrator

Downswing. Read the article - T.M. isn't misleading us.

• Administrator
Ok, I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up but 60 FPS is pretty damn slow for any fast moving or high speed objects. When you look at those swing speed camera's on television, they are shooting at 1000+ fps easily. When you can capture that many frames in one second, the transition from point a to b is more linear on the screen. When a 60 fps normal camera is shooting a swing, the movement from a to b is a big jump the one frame to the next so that will typically be some kind of blur as the image processor tries to smoothly link the two frames together.

No, these aren't blurred images. You're confusing shutter speed with framerate. You might get a new frame every 1/60th of a second, but the image might have been captured with a shutter speed of, say, 1/1000th of a second.

Note: This thread is 5399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!