IGNORED

Rant: Chewers

RC
Note: This thread is 5380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't get the discourtesy of sunflower seed chewers that spit their husks on the greens. Today, every green had sunflower seed hulls on them. You hate to pickup a dozen on your line, each hole... these things have been spit out of someone's mouth. Please, if you chew them, don't spit them on the greens -- they will affect a putt. Don't get me started on tobacco chewers who spit on the green and you spot your ball only to find slime on it.

Worse than not fixing a ball mark in my book.

RC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this happened to me the other day and it was pretty annoying. I also get your complaint on people who dip as I am one of them since I quit smokeing two months ago. I would never even think about spitting on the green and always carry a bottle with me to spit into. I even have a problem with myself if I catch myself spitting anywhere on the course (out of habit being outside). Sunflowers seeds on the green are pretty damn annoying.

I had a guy I was playing with spitting out seeds on the green the other day. If I would have been behind I would have been pissed. Luckily there was no one else on the course so it didn't matter. I really wanted to say something but he paid for the expensive round so I thought it better I keep quiet.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I had a guy I was playing with spitting out seeds on the green the other day. If I would have been behind I would have been pissed. Luckily there was no one else on the course so it didn't matter.

Unless they shut down the course forever as soon as you guys were finished, it did matter.

just as bad are the guys that chew tobacco.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I never have chewed Sunflower seeds on the course but was thinking about it last week. If I was going to, I would spit them in a solo cup or water bottle.. especially after seeing this thread.

I have never seen sunflower seeds on the course but thats probably because I work at a Country Club. The reason I was thinking about it was a way to get me to stop over analyzing and just play my game.

Also, I am hooked on them from baseball.

Sumo 10.5*
R7 Draw 15* 3W
3dx 17* 2H
Pi5 3-PW
Spin Milled Vokey 54* CG11 60* C-01

As an ex tobacco chewer I can certainly relate. I never spit on the greens though. Never chewed sunflower seeds but could certainly see where they would be a problem on the greens as well. Cigarette butts are what gets me pissed.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

Ya, cigarette buts! Grrr... I find them on the Tee Boxes, I find them on the greens, its disgusting. Especially when theres fancy ash trays next to every ball cleaner on the course, which are on EVERY Tee!

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 1 month later...
just as bad are the guys that chew tobacco.

Just as bad what? I chew tobacco and i spit on the greens all the time. And no matter what the conditions are, spit doesn't turn into goo on the green. Plus i spit on the green and step on it. Don't get mad at other peoples habits just cuz its something they like to do. People are on the course to have a good time and relax. I highly doubt that you would mark your ball in some slimy anything none the less. I dont see anyone that cries about bird shit on the greens. Its life man, dont get all upset cuz someone spits on the green. Take it like a man and play your game.

Bag- Orig. 14 Stadium Tour
Driver- R7 limited 9.5*
3 Wood- R7
5 Wood-Viper Tour
Irons- X18/X22 ToursWedges- 52*/ 56* SandPutter- Hamilton f2 series BladeBall- Pro V1Glove-

You compare yourself to a bird?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't get me started on tobacco chewers who spit on the green and you spot your ball only to find slime on it.

Give me a break

I've chewed for over 20 years and have been golfing over 30. In fact the majority of my golfing buddies chew. Never once have I heard anyone complain about how "chew spit" can influence how the ball rolls or how their golf ball has tobacco "slime" on it. Sure, it is a disgusting habit but I'm not hurting you or your game by spitting on the green (besides, I would not spit in your putting line anyway). Chew spit soaks up in a matter of seconds but sunflower seeds in your line flat-out suck.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Just as bad what? I chew tobacco and i spit on the greens all the time. And no matter what the conditions are, spit doesn't turn into goo on the green. Plus i spit on the green and step on it. Don't get mad at other peoples habits just cuz its something they like to do. People are on the course to have a good time and relax. I highly doubt that you would mark your ball in some slimy anything none the less. I dont see anyone that cries about bird shit on the greens. Its life man, dont get all upset cuz someone spits on the green. Take it like a man and play your game.

Give me a break

Just shows a lack of consideration for the other people on the course. Sorry but just because all of your buddies do it doesn't make it right. No different than peeing in a bush that the next guy has to go into to hit his ball out of. They are both pretty disgusting habits.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Give me a break

I was just going to chime in on this. Well said...

... I chew consistently during a round of golf; however I rarely spit on the green ( even though I feel that it has no affect as well ). Seeds and ciggy butts though...

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

Maybe the ball won't notice, but we are pretty close to the green when putting. If anyone is doing like Villegas, getting chew crap on their hands isn't exactly cool. You are walking on a huge course, why do you have the need to spit on the green?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just shows a lack of consideration for the other people on the course.

How in the hell is spitting "lack of consideration" to other golfers? I'm not talking in their backswing, or standing behind them when they putt, or not fixing my pitchmarks, or not raking the bunkers, or not filling my divots, or leaving my cell phone on, or spitting sunflower seeds on the green….etc. It's just spit and it's gone before anyone knows it's there. Nobody putts through it because it is soaked up by the time they putt. It doesn't leave any "slime" on their ball because it is soaked up by the time they putt. It' sure as hell doesn't make someone's ball go off line because it is soaked up by the time they putt. Lack of consideration? Give me a break.

Sorry but just because all of your buddies do it doesn't make it right.

Who said it did?

No different than peeing in a bush that the next guy has to go into to hit his ball out of.

Sorry, I don’t get this analogy. Are you saying peeing is disgusting? Or that peeing outside is disgusting? Or are you comparing peeing to chew spit?

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Mother nature will do enough damage on her own with rain and blowing leaves and sticks on the green so we should not add to it. Even at some of the courses I play around here that are just average, they take pride in having greens that are nice without any manmade trash on them. Its hard enough to putt on perfect greens.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I am sorry you don't understand my complaint, but obviously you have not picked up my ball after it rolls through tobacco spit... I have, more than once. T'aint a good thing for me no matter how much the chewer enjoys it. My least favorite is the player who spits the stuff into the cup... Yuck.

RC

Note: This thread is 5380 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!