IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben

Don't. Talk. To. My. Ball!!! The sounds waves from your voice will clearly push my putt offline. come on!!!

YES!! This is the only thing that bothers me, but it drives me crazy!

"Bite... Bite..." Dude, it's been rolling for 30 feet - if it was going to bite it would've done it by now.

Yeah, people think that "Bite" means slow down lol.

Play, practice, practice, practice. Repeat.

Pro-V1

910 D3 9.5*

910 4 Wood 17*

KZG Tour Evolution Irons 3-P

KZG TRS Wedges 50*, 54*, 58*

Newport 2 (34 1/2")

The guy who decides to piss in the trees 10 feet away while Im teeing off.

• Upvote 1

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Slow play/not playing ready golf/taking 8 practice swings, changing clubs, doing it all over again (saw this last week), my other pet peeve is when people improve their lie/don't properly take a penalty stroke and then talk smack about the 86 they shot to my 91.  I try to play by the rules, I only move my ball if its on top of a tree root (but had to hit off one last year in a tournament I played in!).  A few guys I play with are like this, I am no great golfer but lets play golf!

:
Driver:  MachSpeed Black 10.5 Fukikura Motore Speeder shaft

1Hybrid: VR PRO 15* (replacing my 3wood with this) 

Hybrids:  Baffler 18*, DWS 20*, TWS 23*

5I-GW  Mx-19 

Wedges - 50.08/54.14/58.10 

Putter:iN Craz-e

Ball: Pro V1x or Callaway Tour i(z) 

I sometimes golf with my best friend. We've known each other since we were in diapers and hang out regularly. He's nowhere near my caliber on the golf course (granted I shoot high 80s, mid 90s) but he is in a league of just something else. He will take 10s on par 4s regularly and resist any help I (or anyone) tries to give him.

As for the pet peeve;

When I play with him I think he is confused about the phrase "I'll give that one to you". He assumes it means that the next... 3 inch putt doesn't count, turning his 2 putt into a 1 putt. He's fairly good at putting, so it's almost always a "1 putt" with him.

I don't have the heart to break it to him that he shoots 18 higher than his scorecard. Oh well, confidence is a large factor of this game and maybe it will help him in the long run. I just hope one day he realizes that this game isn't something you can fix on your own.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Slow guy

Lesson guy

Phone guy

+1 and add:

• the "angry" guy ... usually the guy who won't take his medicine from the rough or in the trees, and instead of chipping out back onto the fairway, goes for the green and ends up hacking around the bushes / trees for another 3 or 4 shots, and blows a fuse !

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

Players playing out of their ability. If it is your first game ever maybe you would want to consider playing an executive length course or a par 3 and not the tips of a challenging high slope course. Nothing worse than watching somebody struggle trying to play a course or length that is totally beyond them.

Excuses. Don't care. Keep up, enjoy the game and try your best and what you shoot is immaterial to me.

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

Guys that take forever to hit their next shot are the worst. Line it up, step back, change clubs, step back, miss the green by 50 yds. I play at a pretty relaxed pace, but once I know the yardage, I pull the club take 2 practice swings and hit the ball. This is also the guy that, even though he's never done it before, is gonna wait for the group ahead to get off the green with 275 left because he might hit them. Sure thing buddy.

Super slow guy is equally as bad as super fast guy. What's the hurry man?! This guy is usually by himself in cart behind me during the week in the evening. I'm usually practicing since the course is pretty empty, but not this guy. He wants to set the record for fastest 9 holes ever.

As much as I don't like slow play, I think the speedsters are worse.

I got paired up with two guys this weekend one of which was furious that he got stuck with a walker.  I offered to leave, but then he apologized and insisted that I stay with him.  "Its easter" he says, and he was nice enough after that.  But even though I'm fast enough to keep up I feel rushed and play poorly as a result.  He shoots a double and I birdie the first hole but as soon as I hit a wayward shot on the second I feel like I need to prove to this guy that I can play quick.  I completely fell apart.

Then there's the guy who keeps offering me rides.  Its a nice gesture, but I prefer the exercise and prefer my space to sitting ass-to-ass with strangers in the cart.  Sometimes people who ride think people who walk only do it because they can't afford it or something, like they can write off their cart fee as a charitable donation by offering me a ride.

And finally, guys who suck and speed on the greens.  The guy who 3 putts every hole because his routine is 1) take putter out of bag; 2) walk to ball; 3) hit ball; repeat.  It makes me feel like I'm taking myself too seriously when I take a bit more time.

I'm working on the mental side and not letting this stuff bother me, but its impossible to play well when you feel rushed.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haven't read all the posts, so my apologies if this is a repeat of someone else's pet peeves.

Taking way too many practice swings.  I have never had more than one practice swing before hitting  a ball.  Even when I was just starting out.

There should be a rule (JK!) limiting to only one practice swing before pulling the trigger.

Hit the damn ball already!!!

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by anthony

Guys that take forever to hit their next shot are the worst. Line it up, step back, change clubs, step back, miss the green by 50 yds. I play at a pretty relaxed pace, but once I know the yardage, I pull the club take 2 practice swings and hit the ball. This is also the guy that, even though he's never done it before, is gonna wait for the group ahead to get off the green with 275 left because he might hit them. Sure thing buddy.

Super slow guy is equally as bad as super fast guy. What's the hurry man?! This guy is usually by himself in cart behind me during the week in the evening. I'm usually practicing since the course is pretty empty, but not this guy. He wants to set the record for fastest 9 holes ever.

I have an occasional playing partner who takes forever to hit his previous shot. Rather than bag the club and hustle to the next shot he bemoans the one he just hit and replays his preshot and mechanics until he's sure he knows why it went off line. Now when he's set up, I'm like a race horse at the gate. At impact I'm off so I don't have to watch his performance.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

+1.  I play as a single 90%+ times.  As long as they play at a reasonable pace, I have no problem with them.  It's the people that have 10 practice swings that really drives me nuts!  Hit the ball already!

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Hahaha....fun reading.

I play a lot, so I get paired regularly and I am very tolerant of others providing they play at a reasonable pace.  If he plays fast, the other things don't seem to bother me.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

"You know what you did wrong there right?"

O_o

Followed by the answer, "You looked up."

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Originally Posted by goodatgolf

The ball slicing or hooking into nirvana. Followed by:

"Wow you can really feel the wind today!"

I have probably said that but I can guarantee you that I had a smile on my face and laughter in the heart!

As long as the company is pleasant and as a group we stay in position I'm a happy camper.

Sun Mountain carry bag

Driver: Titleist 910D3*

Woods: Titleist 910F 13*, Alpha 18* Hybrid,

Irons: Titleist 681

Wedges: Vokey TVD 54* and 58*

Putter: Some Odyssey Anser Style.

Balls: Pro V1x,

I guess the one thing that really gets my goat is when a player continually talks out loud after his shot......analyzing everything he did until he gets to the next shot.

Originally Posted by Mattplusness

I don't have the heart to break it to him that he shoots 18 higher than his scorecard.

I love when I get paired with someone who will tell me about his game and how he hits the ball, and how he usually shoots around the high 70s, and as soon as he hits his first shot, I know he is full of BS. Sometimes I will actually goad them on...'so, tell me about your 77 from the black tees..', or 'so, how do I hit a long ball with a baby draw?'...Good fun!

dak4n6

-The guy who gives you "lessons" without you asking for them...so annoying as I already have enough in my head about my swing.

-The guy who ignores golf etiquette...I have a friend who, while putting, putts first and finishes until he holes it regardless of if he was furthest from the hole to start or not...all of us have to wait until he finishes.

Last 5 Rounds: 103 (+38), 124 (+42), 101 (+36), 104 (+39), 109 (+44)

Note: This thread is 2494 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!