IGNORED

What is your biggest pet-peeve in Golf?

rckwd
Note: This thread is 2531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by DocPangloss

Out of all the ways that lllllsp1d3rllll defiles the English language, you choose to correct him only for these two words?

Was going to ignore the posts, but those two errors were just like.. Oh my God... no!

Originally Posted by M2R

I find golf shots to be like reverse farts, I tend to enjoy everyone else's a bit more than I probably should but always think my own stink.  I never say nice shot unless I truly think it is a nice shot.  But I have also learned to be sensitive to the fact that "my standards" may be too low in some cases.

One old man grunted after a shot on the driving range, and thinking it was a nice and uplifting gesture, I told him "I thought that was a pretty good shot!" To which he replied "If I was just starting out, I would think that was a pretty good shot as well."

Now it's becoming clear: you golfers are a sensitive bunch!

Originally Posted by M2R

I find golf shots to be like reverse farts, I tend to enjoy everyone else's a bit more than I probably should but always think my own stink.  I never say nice shot unless I truly think it is a nice shot.  But I have also learned to be sensitive to the fact that "my standards" may be too low in some cases.

I agree.  Unless I really know someone's game I tend not to say anything.  That is unless they drain a nice putt or chip in.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

I have one pet peeve when it comes to watching golf. The IDIOTS who yell go in the hole every time a pro hits a shot whether it is a driver or sand wedge. I have CSI syndrome (Can't stand Idiots)

Originally Posted by jmurder

I have one pet peeve when it comes to watching golf. The IDIOTS who yell go in the hole every time a pro hits a shot whether it is a driver or sand wedge. I have CSI syndrome (Can't stand Idiots)

How about the bozo that yells "Mashed Potatoes" when someone tees off?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

I'll piggieback on this... I discovered another one for me.  The "nice shot" guy.  I realize that I am getting better... I also realize that in the past I did not hit as quality a shot as I do now.  I also think it is very nice that you notice that I am hitting better shots... but damn.  Every shot is not worthy of a "nice shot."  Am I being overly sensitive.  I bet I heard nice shot 50-60 times yesterday

And that was only a 9-hole course LOL, imagine playing 18 with him.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Double Bogey

I'll piggieback on this... I discovered another one for me.  The "nice shot" guy.  I realize that I am getting better... I also realize that in the past I did not hit as quality a shot as I do now.  I also think it is very nice that you notice that I am hitting better shots... but damn.  Every shot is not worthy of a "nice shot."  Am I being overly sensitive.  I bet I heard nice shot 50-60 times yesterday

Perhaps the "nice shot" guy is not alluding to your previously worse play when encouraging your current game?  That sounds an awful lot like my wife when I tell her she looks really good in a particular outfit she's wearing..."What, are you saying I didn't look good yesterday?"

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, because I always try to be encouraging to my playing partners.  It's possible I'm the "nice shot" guy on occasion.  It's a good thing to know so many people find this annoying, but in my defense, I'm really just trying to have some fun playing golf with you.  Don't take it personally.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmurder

Can't say I've ever heard that thank goodness.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by carrx

Perhaps the "nice shot" guy is not alluding to your previously worse play when encouraging your current game?  That sounds an awful lot like my wife when I tell her she looks really good in a particular outfit she's wearing..."What, are you saying I didn't look good yesterday?"

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this, because I always try to be encouraging to my playing partners.  It's possible I'm the "nice shot" guy on occasion.  It's a good thing to know so many people find this annoying, but in my defense, I'm really just trying to have some fun playing golf with you.  Don't take it personally.

Personally..I don't mind if someone says "nice shot" things along those lines as long as they use a normal speaking voice.  My regular playing partners and I tell each other when we hit a good shot all the time, but we use our normal voices.  We don't act like the shot was on the 18th hole of the Masters for a win or anything, though.  I just don't like people who get loud on a golf course.   Other people are playing, too :)

One thing the overly celebratory guy also does is talk during everyone elses shots.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I had a NCGA qualifier yesterday, and two of my friends messaged me "MASHED POTATOES" before I teed off.  I lol'd.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

And that was only a 9-hole course LOL, imagine playing 18 with him.

Yes, but he did not say nice shot on putts... ever.  So that was actually on 18

I know exactly what you mean.  Every time I try to read one of his posts, I get a headache trying to decipher what the heck he is saying.  I am sure those cryptologists love to read his posts, but I have no patience to trying to figure out what he is trying to say.

I just hope that is not the actual picture of himself as the picture fits a stereotype of his command of English language.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

At this point I feel like he's just trolling...and successfully so, because it is irritating me :)

Brandon

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Here, let me try:

ill be like it and waas the when he wont hit ball with the shot he liike cuse he dusnt undirstaand wy i am gooder then himm so u gott over with the reeson hee nevir wuz abel to maake it in the waay he wants to maake it and the.

I know, it's not as good, but I'm just learning sp1d3r English...

dagg dude u need to learn to spell terrable did u pass 4th grade lmao

To tell the truth if all golfers are as stupid and immature as every one iv talked to also every one on this site, then i really don't want to golf . It would be boring to always have to go golfing by my self reason being, i would have to beat the h**** out of someone with my driver if i had to golf with these annoying people!

I am so glad I found this forum! I am an OK Player. 85 one day, 92 another. Here is what truly annoys me:

1) Guys like a friend of mine- never finishes putts under 5 feet. And one hands them. Refuses stroke and distance penalties. But worst of all, is when he makes me feel guilty by saying "I'm just here to have fun" like your some obsessed idiot for not taking a gimme or mully. Worst is though, at the clubhouse- they talk about their 83 vs your 91. Truthfully, I am OK with gimmies if they are darn close...but if I am having a really good round like low 80's, don't touch my ball! Eseocially when I say- I am having a good round, ill out it out--and you gimmie another one.

2) I joined a club network this year. Played with a number of members- who many claim anywhere from 7-15 handicap---they NEVER EVER shot or shoot better that 90. And when I shoot 88 or 92, they ask me why my index is so high. I'm like---i count white stakes, red stakes, no mulligans, gimmies or fluffies. The funny part is they always shoot poorly on mens night- when everyone is watching everything! What i dont get though is that it hurts their handicap index by lying meaning they get less strokes in competition.

I was always told by one of my first golf partners where to stand when he was playing, what to say etc.  So for instance I would never say good shot to someone I was playing with (Unless they holed it) because it might not have been a good shot for them.  I think the scandanavians have it right in that they must have sat a etiqete/rules test before they get to play opn a course.

My pet peeve is the opposite to noisy playing partners, I play last week with a guy who said hello on the first tee and goodbye on the last green and nothing in-between, thats fine but he was the one who asked if he could join us for some company.

H/Cap- 25
West End Golf Club Halifax

Originally Posted by lllllsp1d3rllll

To tell the truth if all golfers are as stupid and immature as every one iv talked to also every one on this site, then i really don't want to golf . It would be boring to always have to go golfing by my self reason being, i would have to beat the h**** out of someone with my driver if i had to golf with these annoying people!

*I've, *I (three times),*everyone (twice), *myself(period), *The reason being that...,

Much better sentences this time. Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 2531 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!