IGNORED

Why is Tiger no longer dominating like he used to?

senorchipotle
Note: This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I still think tiger is tiger, however. You look at the level these guys play on, He had almost a whole year off with not even swinging a club. where I bet in the last 30 years of his life he hasn't went that long with out swinging a club. Its going to take some time for his game to come back to exactly where he (we) want it.

Tiger has the intimidation factor that no one else carries on the PGA. You think those guys at the US Open would have won if tiger would have been side by side, maybe tiger was 1 under them? no. He is tiger.

But we forget that he is somewhat human (i think) and he has his up and downs. who knows, its kinda fun to see some other names on the leader boards.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the field has gotten a lot better since the early 2000's. Or at least a lot deeper.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

He has. But aside from Phil trimming up, do you think other guys are following this lead? This is not a rhetorical question, I'm wondering if this is really going on. Sorry, but my ADD just kicked in, remember when Gary Player said guys on Tour were using steriods or HGH? I'm sort of laughing thinking about it.

sorry for the double post in advance.

A lot of people are still amazingly fit, even if they aren't massive and perfectly toned. I saw Vijay in person, and you can tell just by looking at him he works out, a lot. And John Rollins has fore arms the width of my head. you'd have to go and get close to the pros to see how fit they really are.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

sorry for the double post in advance.

Ok, but are you telling me the field is a lot more fit than they were in 2000? That is a very bold statement. I'm not saying it isn't true at all, but golf is a 120+ year old sport. To say that players are significantly more fit than they were just 8-9 years ago is a pretty significant statement.

You could very well be right, but still a big deal.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Well, he was off for a year and that doesn't include the swing changes. I believe it is a mixture of swing changes, time off, and the more talented field of players that are coming up. It is going to get harder and harder for him to "dominate." When he first came on the tour no one was really working out that much and taking physical abilities into consideration as much. Over the years that Tiger has been there, the tour players have started working on their physical attributes and now all of the younger players are coming in with the same mindset. It is going to get tougher.

I think you're right. See, he raised the bar. He is so fit, so perfect for golf, he raised the bar. He trounced them. Now, they are closer. And he is still beating them more often than anyone I have even known. I can't believe we are actually having this conversation, as he is still a world-beater, but I guess I understand, in that he is not winning by large margins. However, NOTHING has diminished my admiration of his talent in the past few years. If anything, it's increased. He is THE man.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

a few possible reasons for why he isn't winning by double digit no. of strokes:

That's a very astute post. Kudos.

May 2009: Back into golf after 5 yr layoff, lovin' it! Best ever hdcp: +1.2
Driver: Titleist 983E 9.5*, 3W: Turner 13*, Hybrid: Turner 16*, Irons 4-PW: Taylormade RAC MB blades, Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action RTG, Putter: Odyssey White Steel Tri-ball SRT

Is it possible the other players are getting better? The youngsters, especially? They don't seem to be as intimidated as the older generation - they take Tiger as a role model and try to imitate him. They work harder, they work out, they perform better.

Have to agree that Tiger is still dominant, though.

Tiger isnt super human like some people like to believe!

And saying he doesnt dominate no more is crazy, true he hasnt won a tournament by double digits in a while but thats down to other players getting better! I dont think tiger has got any better since '02 really! His putting this year so far has been rather patchy at best!

TITLEIST 909 D2 10.5* VOODOO STIFF FLEX
TAYLORMADE R9 TP 3 WOOD STIFF FLEX
COBRA BAFFLER PRO 19* STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST 695MB 3-PW STIFF FLEX
TITLEIST VOKEY BLACK NICKEL 52*TITLEIST VOKEY SPIN MILLED 56.10 & 60.04SCOTTY CAMERON 2.6 NEWPORT PUTTERCALLAWAY TOUR IX GOLF BALLTAYLORMADE R7 TP TOUR BAGC...

Tiger isnt super human like some people like to believe!

For sure.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

• Administrator
You know, you could say Tiger is dominating even more, but in a different way.

Did you know he hasn't finished outside of the top 10 in a stroke-play event since the 2007 British Open?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds pretty dominating to me.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

i noticed the same thing last night... which is amazing. but, it seems as if he's sort of playing not to lose, instead of playing to demolish his opponents.

Every great player has a period of DOMINANCE, and then the rest of the field catches up. This was true of Jack, Arnie, Tom Watson, the Shark, Annika, Lorena, etc. To expect Tiger to win every Major is a pipe dream. Angel Cabrera won the Masters and Tiger lost it. Lucas Glover won the US Open and Tiger was out of it after his 74. There is now parity on the PGA Tour and the LPGA Tour. We must wait for a new Superstar to emerge.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I don't know if anyone has posted this but I heard on the Golf Channel that Tiger has missed FIVE CUTS SINCE 1997 .

When you factor in that one of them was the U.S. Open, shortly after his father died, he gets a pass. Therefore, you're looking at four missed cuts in 12 years. Lefty and Sergio have combined to miss that many, this year, alone. Paddy Harrington has six missed cuts, this year.

Its safe to say that El Tigre is dominating, IMO.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

So many people are saying that he does dominate.. I don't think *anyone* has said that he doesn't!

C9 VFT Ti
C9 5w
P2 Hybrid 3
P2 Deep Cavity 4-PW
SGS 52, 56 Putter

He's still the worlds best player, hands down. That he is not dominating as much as he did in the period of 99-02 there is no doubt of, he may not ever dominate as much as he did those years. He played brilliantly. The rest of the field has since then gotten better, what with the physical subject, doing what Tiger did those years is even harder today.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is truly amazing plus when he is playing his best no one beats him but when he is playing something less than his best he is still contending

and sometimes winning. Thats pretty darn good if not dominating.

Note: This thread is 5403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!