IGNORED

Zip Grooves vs. Spin Milled grooves

Note: This thread is 5408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are the differences between Zip Grooves and Spin Milled grooves? Both are square grooves with tight radius corners, right?

For reference:
* Zip Grooves
* Spin Milled

As far as I can tell the grooves are cut differently, but they still appear the same to me. They're both square and they both claim to have the USGA's maximum groove size, the only thing I can see that may be different is the edge radius. The minimum radius for the groove edges is 0.01 inches , is the radius of the edges tighter on the Spin Milled grooves? Looking at diagrams doesn't make that easy to tell.

I seem to have noticed a preference for the performance of Spin Milled clubs, so other aspects of the club/clubface aside, are the grooves noticeably different?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Brand. Zip are CG and SM are Titleist/Vokey.

FTi 10* Draw w/ ProLaunch Blue 65g Stiff
5 Wood
Walter Hagen Ultradyne Blades 3-PW
52*
X-Tour Vintage 56.13 X-Forged Chrome 64.09 Dual Force BladeBall: B330Rx or Pro V1

Brand. Zip are CG and SM are Titleist/Vokey.

Right. I'm aware that they're from competing companies (released roughly the same time, too). But for all the marketing, is it seriously just brand name?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Different ways to create the grooves, the SM ones got a bit more spin, though I'm not sure exactly why. How they are made and what they look like don't really matter, only thing you should worry about is which works best for you. The only way to figure that out is by testing them both.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I beleive "Spin Milled" refers to the machined surface on the face of the Titleist wedges, it really has nothing to do with the grooves.

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Spin Milled refers to the CNC milling on the actual clubface not the grooves. If you look closely at a Vokey SM you can see circular patterns on the face. The grooves are much the same only Clevelands tend to last longer.

In my Sun Mountain bag :

Driver : R7 Superquad
Irons : MX-900 3i - PW
Wedges : CG14 52 & 56Putter : 'Fang' #7Balls : TP Red

As others have said, "spin milled" refers to the process by which the club face is produced.

As to the grooves themselves, tomato/tomauto.......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I was wondering about this as well, I have a CG11 with the spin milled face and I get decent spin off it and was wondering if the "zip grooves" really had any benefit compared to regular or spin milled wedges such as mine. has anyplace done testing for this or is it just marketing?

In my TMX stand bag:

R580XD 10.5* Stiff
'07 Burner 5 Wood 18*
'09 Burner Rescue Hybrid #3 19* Stiff 3dx Ironwood #4 Stiff Idea Tech OS 5-PW Vokey SM 52*-08 CG11 SM 58*-08 White Hot XG #2 33.5"

• Administrator
I beleive "Spin Milled" refers to the machined surface on the face of the Titleist wedges, it really has nothing to do with the grooves.

Wrong

Spin Milled refers to the CNC milling on the actual clubface not the grooves. If you look closely at a Vokey SM you can see circular patterns on the face.

Wrong

As others have said, "spin milled" refers to the process by which the club face is produced.

Wrong

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthr...730#post276730

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wrong

Bob Vokey's own words on the video here...... http://www.vokey.com/wedges/detail.aspx?id=19

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Bob Vokey's own words on the video here...

And Bob's clarified to me on a few occasions that the origin of "spin milling" referred to the process of cutting the grooves. Yes, "Spin Milled" wedges also have a milled face - but even that video where Bob talks about milling the face flat doesn't put those circular patterns on the face. That's yet another milling process.

The true "spin milling" is still how the grooves are cut. You can see a subtle radius at the edges of the grooves because they're cut by taking a circular saw blade, putting it on its side (or edge), and carving out the grooves. Then they mill the face flat. Then they put the little pattern on. I'm just going by what I've been told - repeatedly - by several people at Titleist. The faces of the 200 series wedges are also milled flat in the same way as the SM series. They don't have the "spin milled" grooves, though (nor the circular decorative milling or "micro texture" as it was/is called). Back to topic. As far as getting back to the OP's question, though the Zip and SM grooves are supposedly about the same size and whatever, I've always found that the Zip grooves don't seem to generate as much spin. http://thesandtrap.com/clubs/clevela..._wedges_review

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the info guys.

As far as getting back to the OP's question, though the Zip and SM grooves are supposedly about the same size and whatever, I've always found that the Zip grooves don't seem to generate as much spin.

Your article was actually what motivated my post. I'd read a couple opinions about Zip Grooves and SM grooves and your write-up that was the last straw for my curiosity, I wondered if I was missing any technical specs differentiating the two types of groove.

• Administrator
Your article was actually what motivated my post. I'd read a couple opinions about Zip Grooves and SM grooves and your write-up that was the last straw for my curiosity, I wondered if I was missing any technical specs differentiating the two types of groove.

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, you'd think they'd be about the same. But enough other people have told me they felt similarly to my review that it seems to be true to some extent.

So whatever.

Questions #6 and 7 under "spin milled wedge questions" address your particular questions, but listen to the whole pod-cast anyway.

Cleveland golf as well as other companies have the circular "micro mill" texture on the face of their clubs,like my CG1's, but the patented "spin milled" phrase refers to the grooves and the way they were specifically machined.
Its not a super exotic secret process or anything, just a very effective one, and backed by excellent marketing.

Thanks for the recommendation, that was an informative podcast.

Note: This thread is 5408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!