IGNORED

New member at the club is a +1....

clubchamp
Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regardless of where the truth lies, I thought it was a funny story, and can certainly think of some vanity 'cappers' myself.

I was worried I was one myself since I was a 16.3 at one point but didn't always break 90.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with previous posts. No way a +1 could be that high, even on a terrible day. I play with a guy who is a good, low single digit player and when he senses that something's not quite right physically, he quickly adjusts and makes smarter decisions to keep his scores low. In my estimation, while + handicap players are pretty talented physically, it's the mental side that really stands out. Particularly with the high + players. I don't see this disappearing for a round.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• Administrator
Rather than entering scores for him, I'd have thought that people would be lining up to play against him!

I second (or third, or whatever) that notion! :)

So what was the pro's response when you told him he didn't break 90?

Yeah, I wanna know too.

Here's the thing, guys: the handicap system, a key part of it is peer review. That's why you can look up your fellow club-member's scores. Report them to the handicap chairman if they're false.
I see a lot of guys at my club constantly bashing someone if they dont play to their cap. Most of them are just jealous...

This isn't a case of "not playing to your cap." This is a case of "are you sure his handicap wasn't as a lefty, and now he's playing as a righty?" A +1 never has trouble breaking 90 unless he's in the U.S. Open challenge (and, heck, even then three guys all did it this year, and they aren't even +1s).

I used to have a client who was scratch. Everytime we played, I would have a better score on the front 9, because he'd be tinkering with his swing, but then on the back he'd shoot lights out. For example, the last time we played, I go out in 39, he in 44. He then announces he's ready to play a match, gives me 4 strokes and proceeds to come home in 33 while I shoot 40.

Uhm, that's called suckering you in. You should have taken six strokes. I have to admit, though, "tinkering with my swing," I haven't heard that one yet...

I disagree, a +1 can shoot 80+. I played with a 0.5 cap that shot an 81 last week then came out the next day and shot 69. I shot an 88 as a 4 cap and wanted to break my clubs, and the next day shot 72.

An 81 is a far cry from an 88 or an 89.

See the part about the peer review. Or don't, and bet against the guy like crazy. We had a guy at Lake View that played to his 5.x index once or twice a month, but the rest of the time he was well above it. I think I lost to him once and I'm $500 or so richer for having known the fella.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Uhm, that's called suckering you in. You should have taken six strokes. I have to admit, though, "tinkering with my swing," I haven't heard that one yet...

Not at all. 1) We weren't playing for anything but pride. He needed a target to shoot for, like playing with a marker (not a mark). 2) I said in MOP that was the latest of many rounds I played with him. We knew each others' game and the 4 strokes were fair. And he always used the front 9 to practtice, that was his thing.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Why can't a +1 shoot 90? I've seen pros shoot mid 80s on non-major courses. There is also a 2.7 HC, on this site, who has a 97 recorded on his scorecard. Again, these things do happen. It's far different someone with that HC having a horrid day and that same person never breaking 90. Maybe you should play with him a few more times?

Also, what is your course slope rating?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Some of you guys are missing the point. The point is not whether a +1 can shoot a 90. The point is he

POSTED the round as a 68.
He laughed and said the members will have a field day with this kid. When I joined there as a 5 handicap 2 years ago all the members were asking me to play. Basically if you don't play to your handicap they start putting your scores in for you.

Champ: How is it that other people can enter scores for someone else? I assume they use the pro shop's computer that has a login allowing it? That would seem a bit ripe for misuse?

man i love playing guys that claim to be way lower...
a friend of mine wont play me anymore cuz he says im 'bad luck'... lol...
he claims to shoot low 90's high 80's but for some reason when we play he never breaks 100... i end up taking him to school...
i played with another guy who claimed a + hcp and when we came to the turn he asked if i was a pro... i was like wtf? dude i shot 8 over on the front... thats bogey golf... he could barely keep a ball in play...
id much much rather play guys with vanity caps than true sandbaggers
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

If you're really nervous out there, chances are you're going to get killed the first time playing a course. I carried a mid 3 handicap last summer and went out to play a course I'd never played before with a guy I work with that liked to run his mouth a little bit. I wanted to go out there and kick everyone's teeth in and ended up shooting an 85, and luckily no clubs were broken during the round.

I agree that it is possible. For example the first time i played my home course i was playing off a 10 and shot 115!!!! Since then i have moved back two tee sets and can shoot 38. And from the whites my best is 74. So id say that he could defenintely do this and still be a +1

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

man i love playing guys that claim to be way lower...

Honestly, there is a guy that I occasionally play with where the same thing happens. I tend to play high 80's low 90's and as soon as we tee off together it's a struggle to find my game. I don't know that I have broken a 100 playing with him. However, when I play any other time, I have to be drunk not to break 100.

I don't think that is very unusual. Some people just have the ability to get into your head.

Honestly, there is a guy that I occasionally play with where the same thing happens. I tend to play high 80's low 90's and as soon as we tee off together it's a struggle to find my game. I don't know that I have broken a 100 playing with him. However, when I play any other time, I have to be drunk not to break 100.

clem? is that you? i got an early tee time at the signature tomorrow... rounds on me... lol

if its not you clem... yeah i have no idea why he does so poorly... we're pretty good friends and we dont bag on each other during the round... heck i believe im pretty unintimidating when we play... at least i dont think im getting in his head or im trying not to anyways
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

A guy i work with asked me if i wanted to golf with him the other day and i asked him what he shoots. He told me high 80s or low 90s. When we got to the course i found out he was lieing on the first hole. He ended up shooting a 121 and it was a VERY long day. I dont understand why people lie.

A few weeks back I shot a 116 in the middle of 5 rounds that were all in 90-95. That day I just didn;t "have it"

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Well, the only time I shoot 80+ is when my father is walking with me.

He's my ultimate kryptonite because he can't break 110, but constantly tries to tell me how to play golf while he doesn't even know what a draw or a fade is. This completely pisses me off.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

UPDATE: Went over to play 9 last night and another guy I know was there and played with the guy for 9. He said he shot 49 and that would be gifting him some strokes. The funny thing is we have a match play this weekend and apparently he signed up for it.

To enter in someones score at my club isn't hard there's a book next to the computer with everyones name and password in it. Basically a lot of people can't remember there passwords so they did that to help. The only time I heard of any misuse of it was two of the juniors are by far better than the rest. One day they came in and someone had put 120s in for them. The kid eventually got caught and they got it all fixed. Other than that theres no problems.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Well we had our match play and the championship flight had the +1 guy number 1 and a 6 handicap number 8. Mr. +1 got closed out on hole 11 and the 6 handicap was up 9 after 9 but lost hole 10 with a double. The next morning the +1 WD after being down 7 after 7 to a 3 handicap.

I won my first match 3 and 2 but I lost my morning match on the 23rd hole. The guy that beat me is so tough to play because he is so steady and will not take any risk at all. The worst was I had him down one from hole 3 till 15 but hole 16 was a very accessible pin and he stuck one to about 3 feet and I lipped out a 12 footer. I lost on the par 5 5th I got greedy and tried to hit one right up by the green and hooked it a little. He made a nice birdie and I couldn't get up and down.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• 1 year later...
You just gotta shake your head at a guy like that. I used to play with a friend who always lied on his scorecard when we played. Since he was my friend I didn't want call him out on it at first because if he got mad it would just ruin the whole round. After a couple rounds I asked him what his hanicap was and his response was, "I am usually a +1.2, but I am just in a slump lately." I called him out on that and said "Bull$hit" and haven't played with him since because it is frustrating to play with someone who can't even be honest. And i gotta say it has been more fun without him :)
Driver......... R9 Supertri 9.5* - Project X 6.5
FWY Wood.. MP Titanium 15* - Project X 6.0
Irons........... MP 68 3-PW - Project X 6.0
Wedges....... xFT 52.09 56.16
................... Tour 59.06Putter.......... Studio Select Squareback Ball............. ProV1x Supporting Project X One 330...

I played like a +1 on the fourth hole a few days ago, but I was in a slump during the rest of the round.

My round on Sunday was like that. So many back to back double doubles it was like the drivethrough at Tim Hortons (Canadian joke - better than extra large triple triples though).

It was like playing with 3 doses of kryptonite (stolen from Shanks). They were calling my draw a fade and when I peeled one right and called it OB in the air, they said "no that'll be alright". It wasn't by a mile. The only reason I played with them, rather than earlier as a single, was because I have trouble seeing the ball on my drives - they were no help. My last three rounds were almost enough to quit the game. 89 with a buddy his wife and son. An 80 at a harder course (including two lost balls) with 2 complete strangers (an older guy and his wife) then an 87 with the Travelling Wilburys. Gross.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I played like a +1 on the fourth hole a few days ago, but I was in a slump during the rest of the round.

Lol Im with you on that. -1 through 5...then ended up with an 80.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Note: This thread is 5030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!