IGNORED

You're in the rough just off the green and the pin is 30 yards away. What do you do?

Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What would you do?

• High lob shot
    • Low Bump-And-Run
    • Something In-Between

I'm not a big fan of the lob or the bump-and-run, more of something in between. Regardless of were I am chipping or pitching from, I envision throwing the ball on the green. I stand next to the ball and try to envision where I would want the ball to land if I threw it on the green.

Also, I error on the long side, I always figure it is better to be putting then chipping so I try to make sure I carry the green and don't get hung up in the rough 20 feet short of hole and have to chip from the rough.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Like others said, it depends on what is between me and the pin. If it needs to run then I bump and run, if it needs to sit then I lob it up there.

I said "something in between", but it would completely depend on all situations involved, such as how deep/thick rough is, how fast green, my lie, how much room is around pin, etc. Normally I would probably try to hit a ball to the front of the green or fringe and let it release toward hole, but if ball is perfect and rough not too bad I might try a lob.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

• 1 month later...
I pretty much do the shot I practice and enjoy the most, which is the lob.
In that sense I go with the swing I bring.

I should spend more time on bump and runs, so that I can build that into my repertoire, but few of the ranges I use are conducive, since they have steep drop offs immediately beyond their hitting surfaces.

I'm also a slider and I'm finding these little bump and runs just as challenging to execute as any lob shot.

I squirt a lot of bump and runs off to the right, which can be very aggravating.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

I will use my pitching wedge to punch the ball out , but it all depends on the condition of the rough ( thickness ) , setup , layout of the green and approach.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

I would have to say it depends on the amount of green I had to work with first, then maybe if anything lies between myself and the green. If there was a back pin, I would probably use my GW to land the ball middle of the green and let the slightly less loft run the ball towards the back. If there was a front pin, I would probably use the SW or LW and try to get the ball up to land (and hopefully stay) close to the pin, keeping in mind that conditions might require you to even land the ball short of the green to keep it close. It's all so different because of conditions and individuality of holes and shots, it's almost too hard to answer a ? like this one!

Driver: R7 Superquad, 9.5*, Proforce UST V2 Stiff
3-W: 300-series, 15*, steel shaft
Irons: TP MB Smoke 3-PW (just got em!)
Old irons: rac MB 3-PW (might be selling soon?)
Wedges: CG-12 Gunmetal, 52*, 56* & 60*Putter: Studio Select Newport, 15g weights, 34", etcBag: Hoofer Lite (sun-faded...

just putt the hell out of it...it'll eventually get there.

Driver: Titleist 905R with Aldila NV stiff
3 Wood: Titleist 909f2 w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff
Hybrid: Taylor Made Rescue Club 19*
4-PW: Titleist 695cb
GW (50 degree): Titleist Oil Can Vokey 250SW (54 degree): Titleist Vokey Oil Can Spin MilledLW (58 degree): Titleist Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Scotty...

depends on the thickness of rough and green (flat versus valleys) and grain. if it was a flat shot from a good lie, i would most likely chip it.
Bag: Three Five Yellow
Driver: 905R 9.5 Degree, Fujikawa Shaft Shift
3-Wood: Sumo2 15 degree
Hybrids 19 and 21 degree
Irons tour x-20 (5-PW)Wedges vokey 52.08,56.14, 60.04Putter circa 62 #1: Pro V1Where I usually play: Rush Creek

Semi bump-and-run. I wouldn't do a full one because I don't know how to control that shot all that much ( I never play it). It would be a mid-height shot that I can put a little bit of spin on it. That way, I know it'll get to the hole, but it will also do what I want.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Probably do one of two things:
Pitch and run (2/3 air, 1/3 roll) with AW, or one-hop blast shot with my SW.

Also, are you sure you are offering a bump and run ? A bump and run implies you skip a low shot into the greenside bank to take momentum off the ball, and let it trickle towards pin. A chip and run with an 8 iron might work if the rough isn't too thick or deep, and the green is fairly level.

I don't carry a lob , so I may view things differently.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vokey Spin milled 60, that is why I carry it; up, up, and down right there.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

On short pitch shots I will always take the low road unless I have obstacles in front of me or no green to work with.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

I voted hi, but I second the call that my default shot from 30 yards is an pitch, which you could cast as in-between.

Also, this really depends on lots of things. From 30 yards, I'm almost never doing bump and run, but from 20 yards, with a good lie and a good bit of green to work with, I'm chipping a bump and run.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was a higher handicap, I would have chosen to use a 60* wedge and hit a high lob shot. Now I would definitely use a lower lofted club and get it on the green and rolling just like Mickelson... Phil doesn't hit flops on every attempt, certainly not with 30 yards of green to work with and just off the green.

Some variables to consider are elevation and undulation, they can certainly play a factor

The shot I play is always based on a few factors. What kind of lie to I have, where is the pin... is it tucked on the edge behind a bunker, or is in farther on the green? What is the wind doing? If it's a normal lie in the rough and the pin is in the middle of the green, I'm hitting a shot that lands on the green and releases to the hole. It's easier to allow for the release than to try to pinch it out of the rough and try to stop it on a dime. Also, the flop shot has to be so perfect to control the distance, I would only use that as a last resort.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Note: This thread is 5347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!