IGNORED

Can shaft flex cause a pull??

Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The steel shafts on my Cobra SS's are of regular flex...

My swing is pretty fast, and I use stiff for everything, but these clubs were given to me years ago so I never bothered looking or changing the shafts.

Im pulling the ball more than Im hitting it straight. Now I always thought that I was coming over the top, and have been working to fix that, but will a flex thats too weak for my swing cause me to pull the ball??

Thanks

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I'm not sure, as I actually sliced it pushed it more with my regular shaft than I do with my stiff driver. I'd say it could, cause maybe since the shaft is too flexible, your hands are already starting to pull the clubhead through left before it even makes contact. Just a guess, but seems like a good theory IMO.

In my White/Red/Yellow Monza Featherweight Stand Bag:
Driver: 07 Burner 9.5* stiff
3 Wood: 07 Burner 15* stiff
5 Wood: 07 Burner 18* stiff
Irons 4-AW: r7 steel shaft stiffWedges: RAC Satin 56*, 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 35 InchBall: Bridgestone e7+, Titleist Pro V1Shoes: D3000Glove: ...

no... a pull would be you actually pulling the shot.. too weak a flex can however cause hooks, so you may want to try a friends stiff flex irons and see if that helps at all.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Well Im not hooking it at all, just a slight pull, enough to get me pin high in the greenside rough, rather than on the green.....

So its definitely not shaft flex?

I dont knwo anyone to use their stiff flex irons, thats why I ask here. Thanks for the input guys!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

It IS the shaft flex, if everything else is right.
See when you have a fast swing speed and your shaft is flex, the shaft bends much quicker and the clubhead gets closed before impact, so at the moment of impact the clubhead is closed whike making contact with the ball leading to pulling/hooking.

With stiffer shafts, the bending is less and by the time the clubhead reaches the impact point, it becomes square leading to a straight shot.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

no... a pull would be you actually pulling the shot.. too weak a flex can however cause hooks, so you may want to try a friends stiff flex irons and see if that helps at all.

Agreed. A pull will not be caused by shaft flex - a hook could be.

You are probably coming slightly over the top. Next time your on the range check your divot's...If they are going left (for a right-handed golfer) you're probably just coming out to in.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

It's your swing.

909D3 (Voodoo, stiff)
King Cobra Comp 5w (YS 5.1 Stiff)
AP1 4,5; AP2 6-P; Vokey 252 08, SM56 14, SM60 08 (Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH Regular)
Newport 2 Mid Slant

It's your swing.

Thanks guys, its what I wanted to hear (however disturbing that may sound

I did not want to buy new irons, I dont have the money, but if the flex is what was causing it, I would have no choice. Just gotta keep working on keeping that club inside on the way down.... Too much arm in my downswing I think. Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

How bout length of club? Can that cause pulling? Im 6'3 and wondering if the standard length may be causing this pull....??

Oh, and I dont really want to get "fitted" all out, but would a place like golfsmith be able to tell me if I need standard length, or longer than standard??

Thanks!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

It could be the shaft length, but then again, extremely unlikely.

Your a 25 handicapper, and you seem new to the game - MANY, many players (and good ones) struggle with pulling the ball with their irons. Check your alignment, it could be as simple as that. Like I said, it's most likely your swing though. Alignment and Swing (check your divots!!!) are the biggest things...

If you are pretty confident it's not your alignment or swing, then I'd look into the shafts causing the problem...

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Oh it very well may be alignment, thats for sure. Ill have to work on that to find out. I have had some divots pointing left of target. gotta figure out how to know for sure if I'm aligned correctly.

I mean, Im crushing the ball, just pulling it most of the time and missing GIR's, and short game sucks so I turn them into bogeys and doubles.... ahh, I love this game!

Its comforting to know even the good players struggle with pulling. Im not new to golf, but I am new to serious improvement in golf! Which is why I'm here. You guys have been of such help!

Thanks again!

Jim

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Top Flite Gamer

• 11 years later...
9 minutes ago, Phil Brunty said:

I’ve got a swing speed that requires stiff staffs, and I’ve had them a few months. I’m hitting most like a rocket clean but straight left no sign of a hook . Can’t figure out the problem 

Seems like it might not be the shaft flex but the swing.  Is everything turning too early or too dramatically?  Hips, chest, shoulders going way left?  Over-the-top can do it as well, by shifting your downswing plane.  Try finishing your swing higher.  Others on here might have better answers.

Welcome to the site!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Brunty said:

I’ve got a swing speed that requires stiff staffs, and I’ve had them a few months. I’m hitting most like a rocket clean but straight left no sign of a hook . Can’t figure out the problem 

I would recommend starting a My Swing thread and give folks a chance to help. We really can’t make educated comments without seeing your swing.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, Phil Brunty said:

There's a lot more to a golf shaft than just the flex. Weight, kick point, torque, etc., can all affect how an individual golfer controls the clubhead.

It could be your shaft, it could be your swing, it could be both.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Over the top with a closed face?

I hit pulls. You don’t have to be OTT to hit a pull, the path just has to be in at impact.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!