IGNORED

I booked my round at Pebble...Am I crazy paying $$$ for one round?

Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've been out to Pebble Beach twice now...

The first time in 1998 and I tried to walk onto Pebble, but after waiting around for a couple hours there were no openings. I ended up playing Spanish Bay, which I thought was great! Second time, same deal, tried getting on Pebble or Spyglass, but ended up playing Spanish Bay again...

Soon after my second trip, Pebble came out with the you must stay two nights if you want to get a tee time policy. It was going to cost me over $1,700 just to step on the first tee which put it out of my price range...

Now you can just pay $495.00 for your round and there is no more stay and play policy. The NCGA had a special where you could get on Pebble for the month of July for $375.00, but I wont be out there until Aug. 29th...

Anyway, I've played the Old Course in St. Andrews and have always wanted to play Pebble. Looking forward to hearing from others who have forked over the cash and played Pebble or those who havent yet, but would!

Nope, you're not crazy at all.

For serious golfers, there are some "must play" courses where the $'s just don't matter......and Pebble is one of them.

When I play one of them, I always get a yardage book and after the round, I mark every single shot on each hole. When watching tournaments in following years, it's always fun to pull out the book and follow along and relive my own trial and tribulations.

Have fun......I'm jealous, Pebble is still on my list.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow, although you're playing a world-famous track, US$495 is a little on the high side?

I'm heading back to UK for a vacation in September and was originally going to go to St Andrews. The green fee on the Old Course is currently GBP130, which is only about US$212 - if you weigh this up against the Pebble price, then Pebble does appear way over-priced?

However, given that there are no guarateed tee times over at St Andrews for single golfers (all booked up already), instead I'm heading to Turnberry, where the British Open was just held. A 2 night stay there, all inclusive, with 2 rounds of golf and a bunch of spa treatment for the wife is still 'only' US$900 per person.

Sounds to me like Pebble have got themselves a licence to print money?

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

So I've been out to Pebble Beach twice now...

It IS a lot of money, but it IS Pebble Beach.

I've done it, back when it "only" cost $375 to play. Took my wife there for our anniversary and stayed at The Lodge. Spent a bunch of money that weekend, but to this day that was the most enjoyable weekend I've ever had. If you REALLY love the game, you won't regret it. The place is heaven on earth.
Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

if i could i would... i say go for it... its only money... the experience lasts a lifetime

This.

Anyone with a credit card can play any course, so who care's how much it costs. The experience alone is worth the price of admission. Just go out there and enjoy it, that's why you're playing there, isn't it?

Pebble Beach....enough said

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Ah, thats a ton of money though! with the kind of cash you'd plunk down for that round (including gas, food, etc) you could make a serious upgrade or upgrades to some of your clubs. But if you have a very solid set then go for it! For me it'd be a complete waste of money, due to my high handicap, but with a 3.6 it should be a lot of fun and a great experience. So if you have everything you need in your bag than I say go for it! You have to do it sometime, and what better time than now.

Lefty Golfer!
In my light stand bag:
R7 Limited Driver 9.5* Matrix Ozik xcon 5.5 Stiff Shaft
A3os 3 (19*) and 4 (22*) Hybrids Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff shafts
X-22's 5-AW Regular Flex Uniflex Steel Shafts X-Forged SW 56* & LW 60* 35" Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 ('04 version) with a...

I'm determined to eventually play there. Always looked awesome.

If you have the money, I don't think you are crazy or stupid for paying that much for a round there. It is well worth it, and you could make a vacation out of it too.

If you are hard pressed finicially it may have been a little stupid, but if you have the money I think it's awesome and certainly something I would do if I had a good job and enough money.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Here's why it's worth the dough - a most eloquent OP ......

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26785

Me, I haven't done it yet, for reasons stated there, but eventually I'll succumb.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I made two mistakes when playing Pebble (the one time I played it):

1. Weather was crappy - really diminished the experience.

2. My game was really bad (33 Index).

I got the NCGA special for $350 (Be careful! Sometimes those crop up during 'post-aeriation')

I'll hopefully play there another day, but I've told myself I need to be shooting in the 80s at least 75% of the time before I give it another go.

When I am in that area I like to play Laguna Seca, Poppy Hills, Pacific Grove Muni, and the little 9 hole course at Pebble (Peter Hay). I've heard that Bayonet is nice. Pebble...was expensive.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

It is Pebble Beach man!!! Well, worth the money! I will play it one day and probably spend as much or more, so I say you did the right thing

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played it and it was an awesome experience but give me oakmont or merion any day over Pebble. The one thing about Pebble is it is a public course and has a little wear on it. The biggest thing was the 6 hour round because everyone has a cell phone or a camera out on every tee and green. I would say if you have the money it one of those places where its always nice to you played. I got to play pebble and pine valley in the same year I still have the yardage books and multiple scorecards from both places framed in the man cave.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

As I recently posted (and Chas was kind enough to post the link to the thread) I just returned from a trip to Pebble and it was fantastic. But to the OP, let me get this straight.... You're on a paid business trip. Airfare covered. Lodging covered. Meals covered. And you're wondering if you should pay the extra bucks to play Pebble while there? Are you crazy???

If you DON'T take advantage of this, all of us on Sand Trap are going to gang up and take away your golf license, sell your clubs and distribute the profits to needy junior golfers, bar you from the forum, and forever ridicule you in future threads (referring to you as the nut job who wouldn't take advantage of such a stellar opportunity). Your wife will divorce you, and your kids will tell their friends "I used to have a father". The ridicule will eventually get back to you in your workplace, and you'll be dismissed for "questionable decision making". You'll search for months for a new job, but your reputation will proceed you and you won't find any employment anywhere. You'll eventually be homeless, wandering the streets wearing a tattered pair of Footjoys, wrapped in a blanket, muttering about what could have been as you beg strangers for a spare quarter. Eventually, you'll die on a sidewalk somewhere, withered up and laying in a pool of your own urine.

So, back to your question about whether you should play Pebble while you're in the area, what do YOU think????

My opinion is for you to do it and don't look back.

Take a good digital camera and get plenty of pics for enjoyment later on.

Pebble Beach is one of our gems. I'd say $375, while a nice chunk of cash, is a price worth paying to have the chance to play there.

Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!