IGNORED

Healthy Diet

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Between 60-70 hour work weeks and 10-20 hours of golf my diet for the past year has looked something like this.

Ooohh he look-a like-a chunky butt!!! I'm exactly your size and eat about the same amount of calories. I had cici's for breakfast this morning though :) nutritious.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I am taking way too much protein lately since I don't lift any weights. Bad for my insides to be taking in all that protein. Good luck to all you high protein low carb dieters. I'm more into high carb diets.

« Keith »

It all depends on what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to put on muscle, eating you body weight in grams of protein is a good start.
Stopping yourself from eating after 8-9 pm, except for maybe a protein bar/shake can help you shed a couple of pounds.
You should also become best friends with tuna, chicken, turkey, nuts, peanut butter, skim milk, wheat bread, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. If you set up your various meals around these foods and stay moderately active, I guarantee you will lose weight. I say this because I recently lost 30 pounds by watching what I eat, not eating at night, running a mile a day, and spending about 1-2 hours in the gym each day.
Driver - Sumo 5900 (9.5°) S
3W - 909 F2 (15.5°) X
Hybrid - 4DX Ironwood 3 (20°) S
Irons: 4-PW - Victory Reds Full Cavity S
Wedge - CG14 (56°)Putter - Red X5 35"Ball - e6+Scores with New Bag:95, 83, 86

Thank you for the informative post.

If you're exercising for less than an hour, water will suffice for replenishing your much needed fluids. However, if your workouts are an hour or longer, it's necessary and extremely beneficial for you to incorporate a good sports drink. A good sports drink will not be carbonated, will contain 15-19 gms of carbohydrates for every 8 ounces and have a good amount of potassium, sodium, and possibly protein.

A healthy exercise and eating are definitely related. But, to achieve maximum benefits from your exercise, you must have the information and good understanding of foods and supplements that will help you reach all the goals you are motivated for in your exercise program.

Maybe for "maximum" benefits, but I'm of the opinion that far too many people get hung up on supplements. Personally, I stick to a multivitamin and let good food take care of the rest. I'm not looking to be a world class athlete and this just feels right to me.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

• 3 months later...
There are a number of foods that sound amazing but don't particularly go with a healthy diet. It is important that you watch what you eat and at what times of the day you eat. There are a number of foods that are high in calories that will build fat quickly, especially with little activity, so watch what you eat. Adding a nutritional health shake of some sort on a daily basis can be beneficial in a number of ways.

water - 8 glasses a day, 'cause that's what they say

pomegranate - I break all the little arils out and eat them from a bowl or save them in a Ziplock® bag for the golf course.

toast and peanut butter - a good, cheap, healthy snack. You can also go Elvis style and add bananas, honey and quaaludes.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I was blessed with thin genes, so weight gain isn't really a problem for me. I really just eat in moderation. Fresh fruit and vegetables are a good portion of my diet but I do enjoy red meat with a smidgeon(sp?) of fat. have never been a fan of seafood, although an occaisional whitefish is not uncommon. I gave up alcohol in 2003 (best decision I ever made) and rarely drink soda's anylonger. I do a litle light excercise several times a week and am a firm believer of passing up the elevator for the stairs, within reason. I tried to take up running again after a 30 year hiatus, but I get terrible pain in my instep even with the proper shoe. I decided the pain isn't worth it. We are looking at purchasing an eliptical.
For comparison, I am 52, about 6'1" and 185 lbs and in excellant health.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

I was a highschool offensive lineman. Graduated at 6'3 265lbs. Tried to gain weight to play college ball but when I got to 280 I was feeling terrible and I looked like a slob. I joined Weight Watchers for Men and shed off 46lbs in 7 months. I lost 13 in the first week. Sounds like some infomertial pitch line, but I played 4 ice hockey games in that first week so I was getting in more than enough excersize. It is neat because your alloted a certian amount of points and once you eat something you can go online and type in what you ate and it will deduct off your points. It helps too when you want to plan what you want to eat when you go out. Really the whole system is about portion control. You can eat whatever you want, but when a Big Mac is 26pts, and you only have 35 for the whole day, you learn to drop fast food, fast.

Good luck man! you will feel great when you drop the weight. It worked for me, until I turned 21 and started drinking. I put back on 28 of the 46 I lost. I guess I need to step it up and get back with the program. Realistically I want to be around 240 since I felt the most confortible. Once you get into the program for a while, when you lose .7 lbs per week, it really sucks but it all adds up in the long run.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have just finished 2 months on a program called Isagenix. I went from 254 to 220 in the sixty days, and haven't been hungry on the program because the 2 shakes and one meal I had each day had all the nutrition I needed in them; I also did cleanse days throughout it too. My one meal was around 400-600 calories and included some form of lean protein, usually chicken breast. It has been my kick to get the weight off, but has also made me lose my cravings for the stuff that isn't healthy. To maintain, I am having one protein shake a day and am continuing to workout and I am hoping to drop another 20 pounds or so. I now do just 2 cleanse days per month.

Overall since August '08, I have lost about 55 pounds. The kids got a Wii fit that month and I set up a profile on it and to my shock was almost 275 pounds. Have been working since then to get it off.

At the end of the day it is about the proper food and portions and exercise, there is no magic bullet.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

• 1 year later...
My personal trainer also doubles as my nutritionist. She has me on a diet consisting of 1410 calories/day spread out over five sittings.

1410 calories! I don't think that's enough mate, especially if you're walking 18 holes on a regular basis.

I try to keep mine under 2000 calories, with those calories being 50% Protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. My best advice for anyone would be to try to stay away from sugar and all grains (if not then "whites" at the very least), period! Do that and your hunger pangs will go away.

My body doesn't like to budge much from ~150 lbs. The heaviest I have reached was 155 when I used to work a desk job order in from various places. I have to maintain about 3000 caloric intake daily to maintain my weight which sucks since I don't eat much per sitting. Eating is great but sometimes it gets annoying when you get hungry every 2-3 hours.

« Keith »

+1 that Ben isn't eating enough calories; though, that is an old post, so maybe it's changed since then. Given what I know you look like from the photos you've posted, you're better off being in the low 2000 range. Just make sure the extra 600 calories is from healthy sources, although, that really doesn't matter as much as we think it does if we're talking about just losing weight.

I hovered around 2400 calories per day last winter while in conjunction with five or six months of P90X, and I went from 195 lbs. in November '09 to 155 lbs. by August '10. Granted, at the moment I'm 168 lbs. because I've been eating horribly since August, and I haven't worked out once. I have gotten to play more golf though -- that is, until the season ended.

I'm going to pick up last winter's routine soon. Golf has really done a number on my left ab/oblique area though, so I may need a few more days to let that heal.

If someone asked me what they should be eating if they want to lose weight, I'd tell them to stick to lean proteins like fish or skinless, boneless chicken breast. 0% Greek Yogurt is great as well. I'd tell them carbs are necessary to fuel your workouts and your overall energy levels, and that the best sources of carbs are fruits, veggies, and brown rice. If you can't get a super healthy source of carbs, that's okay too. Just make sure you know how many calories are you are generally ingesting total throughout the day and do your best to keep in your ideal range. For me, my ideal range is about 2400 calories. A little over or under that number doesn't help or hurt my goals.

To find your perfect number, you need to start counting calories and collecting the data. I was under eating for too long and didn't see really any positive results from it.

Eat more if you're working out a lot. Eat less if you're not working out at all. Lifting weights in conjunction with a healthy diet is by far the best way to burn fat and look good. It also doesn't hurt that you're healthier for it as well.

Other basic diet tips:

1) Don't eat 2-3 hours before your bedtime.

2) Drink only water and maybe the occasional glass of skim (or 1%) milk. But 99% of your fluids should be from water.

3) If you think it's bad for you, it probably is. Cut out all the soda, junk food, cheese, fast food, bread etc. Works wonders in the long term.

4) Remember, real change takes a lot of months. Most people quit after 3-4 weeks. Get past the 3-4 week mark and you have a chance at sticking with it for the long haul.

5) Did I mention lifting weights? More lean muscle means your body can burn more calories at rest. This means that your metabolism is faster, which means you can burn fat at a higher rate. You might not see much weight change though. Muscle weighs more than fat. But you are getting skinnier. Believe that. People don't like to lift in conjunction with weight loss because when they get on a scale, they think what they're doing isn't working.

6) A tip on whole wheat bread: Most of it is fake whole wheat. It's just bread dyed with molasses to make it look like whole wheat. The stuff you see in your supermarket that's marked "100% whole grain" is most likely bullshit. The way you know if you're buying real whole wheat bread is on the ingredients list. If you read anything that resembles the following stuff, then run. It's fake whole wheat bread: "Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) Folic Acid], Water, Cracked Wheat, Whole Wheat Flour, Yeast, Barley, Honey, Fructose, Wheat Gluten, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Wheat Bran, Malt, Ethoxylated Mono-And Diglycerides, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Caramel Color, Whey, Soy Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin.”

What you want to read is something like this: "Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt, Calcium Propionate."

That's real whole wheat bread. Real whole wheat bread is great because it has a ton of vitamins and it makes you feel fuller longer. It's a great source of carbs.

OK, that's all for now.

Constantine

Some more tips that I forgot to mention:

Healthy fats. Those are really helpful as well. I get my healthy fat source from pretty much two places: olive oil and raw almonds. I also take an omega-3 pill every morning (with a multi-vitamin).

A tip on salad dressing. "Non-fat" always means that it's loaded with sugar. I only use one recipe for all my salads:

Olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper. Within the salad, diced scallions, carrots, radishes, etc. help enhance the flavor. I normally use romaine lettuce. Throw in some grilled chicken breast to that and it's a great healthy meal that's balanced and fills you up. Works great with a consistent weight lifting routine.

And lastly, my usual smoothy recipe: Ice, banana, pineapple, raspberry, blueberry, strawberry. I crush that up in a blender then add spoonfuls of 0% greek yogurt at the very end. Great drink.

Constantine

6) A tip on whole wheat bread: Most of it is fake whole wheat. It's just bread dyed with molasses to make it look like whole wheat. The stuff you see in your supermarket that's marked "100% whole grain" is most likely bullshit. The way you know if you're buying real whole wheat bread is on the ingredients list. If you read anything that resembles the following stuff, then run. It's fake whole wheat bread: "Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour [Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) Folic Acid], Water, Cracked Wheat, Whole Wheat Flour, Yeast, Barley, Honey, Fructose, Wheat Gluten, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Wheat Bran, Malt, Ethoxylated Mono-And Diglycerides, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Calcium Propionate (Preservative), Caramel Color, Whey, Soy Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Lecithin.”

Do you know of any major brands that make "real" whole wheat bread? I usually rotate from multi-grain and whole wheat. Never even realized there were "fake" breads. Good info.

Not a big fan of multi vitamins since some are water soluable and some aren't. Do you know if freezing fruits such as bananas and berries before tossing them in shakes reduces their effectiveness? I mainly freeze my bananas and mix them with light strawberry yogurt for a quick shake.

« Keith »

Do you know of any major brands that make "real" whole wheat bread? I usually rotate from multi-grain and whole wheat. Never even realized there were "fake" breads. Good info.

Not off the top of my head, no. However, you'll be able to tell pretty easily by just checking the ingredients list the next time you're in the store. Any words that resemble "enriched" or "unbleached" are red flags. The ingredients list should be fairly short and simple. And I think (but I'm not sure) that the fake whole bread stuff is actually healthier for you than just straight up white bread as long as it has an adequate amount of fiber in it. Most of the nutrients have been stripped from it though.

To be honest, I haven't eaten real whole wheat bread in quite sometime. Your best bet at finding some is either at your nearest health food store or just simply at a bakery. But I personally tend to get fiber from other sources in my diet.
The stuff you see in your supermarket that's marked "100% whole grain" is most likely bullshit.

This is likely a misprint on my part. "100% whole grain" might be okay. It's "multi-grain" or "100% Wheat" or "Seven-grain," etc that you want to avoid. Regardless though, the ingredients list will tell the whole story.

Do you know if freezing fruits such as bananas and berries before tossing them in shakes reduces their effectiveness? I mainly freeze my bananas and mix them with light strawberry yogurt for a quick shake.

Frozen fruits are great. I think it takes almost a year for frozen fruit to start losing their nutritional value.

Constantine

1410 is not enough, 1500 minimum... anybody can be around 2000 and loose weight. a standard desk job will use up 2000...I do not recommend the 50% protein, high protein diets will lead to slower metoblisms.

Grains are good, just processes grains are not. Try rice and brown rice (nice carbs and protein as well). There's also potatoes, go with red. Studies have shown that red veggies and fruits tend to have more nutrients than others.

Eating before bed time is a myth (Hugh, the actor who did Wolverine) he went on a weight trainers diet to get inshape for the movie. He ate every 4 hours on the hour, including waking up in the middle of the night. He lost more weight and got in shape faster because that food fueled his metabolism in the night to burn more calories as well. It does matter when you eat, just how much. Though if you eat three big meals your more likely to snack anyway. The 5 meal method is used to keep portions down and your hunger at bay as well as stabalize your energy levels during the day.

Well alot of nuts (except Peannuts, they are not a nut a legume), have high source of good fats, its just Almonds have the best percentage. Grapeseed oil is also a great source besides olive oil and cheaper.

Frozen fruits are just as good, freezing will not hurt the nutrients. The only way you hurt the nutritional value is if you cook them.

My personal lifestyle is usually, 2000-2200 calories (55% carbs, 20% fat, 25% protein)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4656 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!