IGNORED

Healthy Diet

ks8829
Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ben

My personal trainer also doubles as my nutritionist. She has me on a diet consisting of 1410 calories/day spread out over five sittings.

I haven't been sticking to this program menu quite as I should, summer calls for lots of sun and a lot of time spent on the course. But I try to follow it closely.

1400 calories is borderline starving yourself. If you're working out 5 days a week that's probably WAY under what you should be eating. Someone should revoke your 'nutritionists'' license. Average males (5'10, 175 lbs) should be eating around 2900 calories for maintenance weight. Anything over 500 caloric deficit is terrible for you.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I never liked that type of nutrionist.. i always believe at going at your BMR, maybe 100-200 bellow to adjust for error. That way your covering all bodily functions, and any movement you do afterwards will cut weight.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh thats weird cause here in ohio dentists are saying that everyone drinking bottled water is bring back alot of older dental problems because it doesn't have some of the minerals found in tap.  I don't know what these minerals are or how true this all is.  To me water is water and it is clean and safe to drink unlike in Mexico.

Well minerals are fine, but cities put in flouride. I doubt naturally found quantities of flouride would bother people, but when cities put it in the tap water because they believe it helps the teeth, thats overboard. They do sell mineral water in drug stores..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Well minerals are fine, but cities put in flouride. I doubt naturally found quantities of flouride would bother people, but when cities put it in the tap water because they believe it helps the teeth, thats overboard. They do sell mineral water in drug stores..

Did you just read the article on Yahoo a few days ago?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Nope, i heard it on the radio saturday morning, this guy who runs a clinic were i live has a local radio show. He's into natural body healing, they have good evidence that most people don't need to be on drugs and the body can heal its self most of the time. He went on to talk about drinking water, and how some places in the US are now stopping putting Flouride in there water. When i looked online, the only way to get Flouride out of water is distill it, but that of course takes out the other minerals as well. So really the best choice is live somewere were they don't put flouride in the water.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You definitely need to look at your macros and measure the things you eat.

40 40 20 is a good macro for losing weight and recomping ( losing fat gaining muscle)

The idea you should be having is gain muscle to help increase your resting metabolism / maintence caloric level.

Once you have a good foundation of muscle you can change your resting state (2200 calories to over 3000)

See where I'm going with this?  Dieting will be easier you won't have to diet / run as hard because it will be easier to reach a caloric deficiet.

Maybe you shouldnt have to write down everything you eat, but its definitely a good thing to monitor.  And quit eating all that bad food.  Yeah you may look ok on the outside but have you had your blood pressure checked?  That stuff is hard on your heart..

Try to clean up your food and eat at least 5--7 small meals a day.  This will keep your metabolism high.  You could also take some green tea extract this helps you remain slim and keep your metabolism high.

You should be doing cardio (look into HIIT) after your workouts or in a fasted state.  This will help burn fat even faster.

Dont over train either you can google that as well.

anyways hope this helps PM me if you have any questions..

These my stats

6'3" 225 lbs 9% bodyfat

bench - 340 lbs

deadlift - 490lbs

squat - 405lbs

Oh yeah and drink TONS of water

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

These my stats

6'3" 225 lbs 9% bodyfat

bench - 340 lbs

deadlift - 490lbs

squat - 405lbs

Holy crap. 1000+ in the big 3 is awesome. Definitely jealous of your height though...can't hurt.

I'm at 5'11" 210 lbs 16% body fat right now....bulking til March then cutting.

Bench- 195 lbs

Deadlift- 315 lbs

Squat- 315 lbs

I've only been lifting seriously for about 8 months. I started at 5'11", 220 lbs and probably up around 25% body fat. It's kinda disgusting how weak I was before I started lifting...could only bench around 90 starting out. Wasn't happy about my bf% so I went to cutting right away so my lifts definitely went up, just not like they have in the past 3 months. By spring of 2012 I want 1000+ in the big 3.

Also let me say that I can not STAND the resolutionists invading my gym the past 2 weeks. All the fatties decide that January is the time to drop 15 lbs woooo!!!

Played 36 holes today, came home, ate a whole chicken and drank a bottle of excellent red wine. I feel pretty good.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

These my stats

6'3" 225 lbs 9% bodyfat

bench - 340 lbs

deadlift - 490lbs

squat - 405lbs

Holy crap. 1000+ in the big 3 is awesome. Definitely jealous of your height though...can't hurt.

I'm at 5'11" 210 lbs 16% body fat right now....bulking til March then cutting.

Bench- 195 lbs

Deadlift- 315 lbs

Squat- 315 lbs

I've only been lifting seriously for about 8 months. I started at 5'11", 220 lbs and probably up around 25% body fat. It's kinda disgusting how weak I was before I started lifting...could only bench around 90 starting out. Wasn't happy about my bf% so I went to cutting right away so my lifts definitely went up, just not like they have in the past 3 months. By spring of 2012 I want 1000+ in the big 3.

Also let me say that I can not STAND the resolutionists invading my gym the past 2 weeks. All the fatties decide that January is the time to drop 15 lbs woooo!!!

Yeah I started lifting serious at 18 (just turned 22 now) so I have a little bit of a head start.   Those aren't bad numbers and you sound like you are making serious improvements.  Good job!  Yeah a lot of people start pretty weak but you gotta start somewhere right?  Yeah its good to set goals, keeps you motivated.

and yeah my gym is full of them.. PACKED, BUT if they can stick with it and lose that weight and begin to live a healthy life, I'll be happy for them.. as for the quitters I'll be glad when they are gone. lol

Just a question, does having high numbers in bench, deadlift, squat mean your physically fit with regards to muscle strength? What those look like, are very impressive, i am not down playing that. I am just curious, because i lifted weights, keeping track of what i lifted each time, increase the weights, seeing gains as things became easier and i had to adjust, so i knew i was gaining muscle strength. But man, i got into a circuit training class, i didn't lift nearly as much weights as i did, and that class litterly kicked my ass. I was so sore, it humbled me. I found out that i was horrible in balance, horrible in core strenght, horrible in back strength.. The onlything i was good at, pushups and squates.. Other than that, i was struggling. After over a year, i feel more in shape then i ever did, never really lost the weight yet, i enjoy food so much ;). My balance, flexibility, core strenght, and over physical fitness is above what i ever did just lifting weights.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Just a question, does having high numbers in bench, deadlift, squat mean your physically fit with regards to muscle strength? What those look like, are very impressive, i am not down playing that. I am just curious, because i lifted weights, keeping track of what i lifted each time, increase the weights, seeing gains as things became easier and i had to adjust, so i knew i was gaining muscle strength. But man, i got into a circuit training class, i didn't lift nearly as much weights as i did, and that class litterly kicked my ass. I was so sore, it humbled me. I found out that i was horrible in balance, horrible in core strenght, horrible in back strength.. The onlything i was good at, pushups and squates.. Other than that, i was struggling. After over a year, i feel more in shape then i ever did, never really lost the weight yet, i enjoy food so much ;). My balance, flexibility, core strenght, and over physical fitness is above what i ever did just lifting weights.

Not really, plyometrics usually doesn't correlate to the big 3 typically.  like i'd go as far to say most bodybuilders arent exactly quick balanced can jump high etc.. I incorporate cardio into my routines though.  Working out intensely can help your cardiovascular strength but not like plyometrics.  thats why i like HIIT it keeps you quick burns fat and increases endurance.. I also run hills among other things. so no it doesn't have a great deal to do with it..

for what its worth I run a 40 in 4.5 sec and have a 33" vertical.  and as it relates to golf I would say plyometrics and flexibility along with a proportional amount of strength is important for your swing.

What it sounds like (since your core and back was beak) is that you were missing a few key compound lifts that really keep you in shape. Deadlifts do WONDERS for your back and core. It's the one lift that absolutely destroys me. Lifting (and heavy) will help you look bigger and more aesthetic (imo). Right now mid bulk am I agile/fast? Nope not one bit. Doubt I could run 5 miles at the moment. By June will I be? You bet.

Almost every day from March-May I do HIIT (as bkoguy said, is awesome), a few miles or a nice intense swim. I did this religiously last year and dropped 30 lbs in 4 months. I looked alright, but to me I was just too skinny. I was running 5k's like crazy which probably didn't help muscle building either.

This spring I can't wait to start my cut and see what I look like after that. I'll be sure to show you guys my before, after cut, after bulk and current photos when it's all said and done.

So did you get a heart rate monitor to do HIIT, or did you just experiment with intensities that felt right..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'm also a big advocate of dead lifts and squats.  I can't bench, got shoulder troubles but really like squating and dead lifting.  Maybe like isn't the right word, but they kick my butt and changed the way my legs and butt look.  I do my hamstrings and back together.  Then do my quads and calfs on seperate days.  Also, what amazed me is how much stronger my core got from these excercises.  It takes alot of other muscles besides the target muscles.  Same with pull ups, push ups, and reverse push ups.  Really hit the core.

My nutritionist had me on a 2600 cal diet.  I'm 6'1. 195, 14.6% body fat.  Sqat 255, DL 275.  Also, always do cardio after lifting acording to him.  His website is wiefit.com.

I'm googling HIIT now.  Not sure I know what that is.

Brian

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

I'm also a big advocate of dead lifts and squats.  I can't bench, got shoulder troubles but really like squating and dead lifting.  Maybe like isn't the right word, but they kick my butt and changed the way my legs and butt look.  I do my hamstrings and back together.  Then do my quads and calfs on seperate days.  Also, what amazed me is how much stronger my core got from these excercises.  It takes alot of other muscles besides the target muscles.  Same with pull ups, push ups, and reverse push ups.  Really hit the core.

My nutritionist had me on a 2600 cal diet.  I'm 6'1. 195, 14.6% body fat.  Sqat 255, DL 275.  Also, always do cardio after lifting acording to him.  His website is wiefit.com.

I'm googling HIIT now.  Not sure I know what that is.

Stands for High Intensity Interval Training. Basically extreme interval training where you're going at an interval of time for 100% of your effort in a sprint either running, swimming or biking and then going back to a walk or jog in between intervals. I could barely walk away the first time I did it. Also never do it on a treadmill, you can't get to your full sprint on there. Bikes are great though.

So did you get a heart rate monitor to do HIIT, or did you just experiment with intensities that felt right..

Nope, just went 100% for 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off for 16 intervals my first time. I'm at about a minute nowadays.

Well how do you know what your 100% is?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

It's as fast as you can run or swim or what ever.  It's maximum effort for 30 seconds then break to rest for 1 min or something depends on how you structure it. It shouldn't last more than 15 mins

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!