IGNORED

Tiger was the first asian major winner

jrm1493
Note: This thread is 5360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess with your reasoning Tiger was also the first native American to win a major.

Ahh, thats how he got in to Stanford!!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can have more than one source of identity. Identity isn't bound and static and you can have a sense of both a national and an ethnic identity. I'm the same as Tiger being of mixed ethnicity and living in a Western country and while I consider myself a New Zealander I also consider myself Chinese and Scottish. I'm a New Zealander AND Asian, just like Tiger is an American AND Asian - you don't have to be just one or the other.

None of you can tell Tiger how to form his own subjectivity about himself and seeing as Tiger obviously considers himself Asian (and black, and white, and native American) as well as American then yes he was the first Asian to win a major. Yang on the other hand was the first Asian-born man to win a major, a point which, as far as I can tell, the media has managed to get across (I haven't yet heard anybody say he was simply the first Asian).

Thanks to Gingus Khan most of the worlds population has Asian blood in their viens. That does not make us Asian though. I have Cherokee Indian in me, but that does not make me a native American.

Buy the way microcrayfish I'd love to visit your country. Beautiful from the pics I've seen.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Barack Obama is also the 44th white president. People focus on what they want to focus on.

What? Last time I checked Barack Obama's skin color was black.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Everyone is talking about Yang being the first Asian to win a major, but Tiger is actually more Asian than African American ... Of course he was born and raised in Socal so not exactly a native born Asian but still, I don't really think Yang can be called the first Asian to win a major.

Wow! Does that mean the British and Europeans haven't actually been having our butts kicked in Majors by Americans for most of the last 60 years?

So Hogan was actually Irish; Snead...er....dunno; Palmer English; Nicklaus German; Watson the most successful Scottish golfer of the 20th Century; Trevino Spanish; etc, etc... No, I don't think so...

And Tiger's is too.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Wow! Does that mean the British and Europeans haven't actually been having our butts kicked in Majors by Americans for most of the last 60 years?

Very well put Englishman!

But wait....are you really English? The Vikings did spred their Norweagan seeds around didn't they? LOL

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

You totally missed the point. Barack Obama's mom is white, so to say that Tiger was the first Asian to win a major is like saying Obama is the 44th white president.

This whole discussion is pretty pointless because everything I read or saw on TV regarding Yang's win referred to him as the first Asian-born golfer to win a major. Even that you could argue as being incorrect because a few Asian women have won LPGA majors.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Y.E. Yang was the first...

...person to reel in Tiger on Day 4 of a major.

(Isn't that getting lost in the shuffle?)

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Everyone is talking about Yang being the first Asian to win a major, but Tiger is actually more Asian than African American (1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 African American, 1/8 Dutch and 1/8 Native American, according to Wikipedia).

No, everyone is talking about Yang being the first Asian-BORN player.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Asian

Oh please - so Obama is the first "American" President?

I love how race gets so twisted in America - one minute someone is African or Asian "hyphenated" American, and other times they are American without the hyphenation.
Taylormade R9 TP 9.5*w/ Diamana Kai'li 70 S (SST PURE)
Callaway FT 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black Hybrid 20* w/ Voodoo NV8 S
MP-68 3-PW irons w/ KBS Tour X-flex (softstepped 1x)
Cleveland CG-12 52.10Cleveland CG-15 DSG 56.08 Vokey Limited Edition 60-V w/ KBS black nickel S-FlexCircle T Beached Center Shaft...

I hope yang keeps playing as he did in the majors. that would be major upset if he starts getting up there in fame.
In my Warbird Hot Stand Bag:

Driver: R9 420cc 9.5° stiff
3 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #3 Stiff
5 Wood: Burner 07 Fairway #5 Stiff3 Hybrid: Burner 08 Rescue #3 StiffIrons: MX-25 4-G Project X 5.5SW: CG12 STD bounce 56° Black PearlLW: CG12 STD bounce 60° Black PearlPutter: California...

Note: This thread is 5360 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!