IGNORED

do you like scramble format golf?

clearwaterms
Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like scrambles?

• Yes
    • No

How do you know they were cheating? With 4 people hitting each shot, it is not unreasonable to have a score of 10 under for 18.

Yeah. my 8th grade year I played in a 4 man scramble. One 25 hdcp, a 15 hdcp, and a 10-15 hdcp, and a girl who was pretty good but I am not quite sure how she shot by herself. We were one under through nine on an average course.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

I played in one early this summer The team that finished second place (none of whom have ever broken 80 in their lives) was apparently, "putting the lights out". They shot 10 under par and lost by 3 strokes to another group of hacking cheaters (or is it cheating hackers).

In my Men's Club, the winning score for a scramble is usually 57-59 (13 to 15 under par). -10 won't even finish in the money.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How do you know they were cheating? With 4 people hitting each shot, it is not unreasonable to have a score of 10 under for 18.

Pretty obvious when you see a group taking eight putts on the green or giving themselves any putt that's on the green. The last one I played in our group shot a 60 and and finished in 5th place.

Now it's possible that these groups bought a zillion mulligans so I won't judge. Doesn't matter because it's for charity. And a scramble is a way for everyone at any level to enjoy the game so for that it serves a purpose. Just not the kind of golf outing that I enjoy.

Weapons of choice:
Irons/wedges: Titleist Tour Grind
Driver:Titleist 909D2
3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotic
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Do you want some history? I golfed with the 2 best players from said foursome last year. We used my approach on 14 holes, my drive on 10 holes (we only needed to use 2 each) the only 3 birdies we made were my holes - tee to green. The couldn't have shot a 62 in a 40 ball scramble. The format in question did not allow for mulligans or pieces of rope.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I play in maybe one a year and LOATHE them. I am not convinced that an honest team has every won one. I even played in a 3-man scramble (playing 6-somes, so two teams per group) and played with the team that won. If anyone has played at Moose Ridge in South Lyon, MI, here is the scenario:

Hole #15 which is a long dog-leg left, pond to the right of the green and behind. We hit our ball right and so we find our ball and hit to the green and the other team is just behind a large bunker at the turn of the dogleg. One guy hits his shot - no way you can really even see the green from there and then lets out a "WOO!!!! F-YEAH!!!!" like it went in the hole. Next thing I know we get up to the green and one guy brought a girlfriend - for some reason she's already up there in the cart. I'm pretty convinced that as we were looking for our ball she went up to the green and put a ball in the cup. They still shot lights out otherwise (had a couple mini-tour guys on their team) but the skin they won for that hole was BS IMO.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

I play in scrambles every week through the summer. The local muni hosts them on Thursday nights. It's nine holes and $5 to play, so whatever. -7 usually ties/wins. Pays about $70/person to the winning team. Each team has an A, B, and two C players by handicap.

I absolutely love them.

In my stand bag:
9* G10 driver
904F 15* 3 wood
3-PW MP-52 irons
Burner Rescue 19* HybridSpalding 60* lob wedge Tiffany 34"Leupold GX-I rangefinderTitleist Pro V1 ball

Do you want some history? I golfed with the 2 best players from said foursome last year. We used my approach on 14 holes, my drive on 10 holes (we only needed to use 2 each) the only 3 birdies we made were my holes - tee to green. The couldn't have shot a 62 in a 40 ball scramble. The format in question did not allow for mulligans or pieces of rope.

The other two players could be good ballstrikers/putters. They could have improved since last year ya know.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

They're pretty fun if you don't mind playing drunk.

And ridiculously low scores are common and they're not always posted by cheaters. My friends and I posted a 54 with no mulligans and no gimmies. We made par on 17 and 18 to do so.

One partner plays a scratch, one is a 10 handi, one was a noob but he was cool.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

QFT. I enjoy a scramble every once in awhile, but overall i try to aviod them. They're monotonous, IMO. Two ball or best ball are team games i can get into.

I agree... OK once in a while, but there are better team games.

I enjoy playing scrambles simply for fun and hanging out with friends. I play in a bout 6 or 7 scramble events each year

I could NEVER do a scramble every week, I would go crazy... unless of course I was retired and played 5-7 days a week, one of which was a scramble day... even then though, each week is quite a bit.

As others have said, it's nice trying shots you never would, and it's the only time I usually combine drinking and golf, and I have usually had a fair bit by the 18th of a scramble unless we are doing real well.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Hate 'em.

Me too. I absolutely refuse to play in any scramble format. When I play golf, I want to see how

I do. Golf, in most part, is not a team sport.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Typically the team that cheats the best wins.

My experience as well. But, I just take them for what they are and enjoy playing in them occasionally.

Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

The other two players could be good ballstrikers/putters. They could have improved since last year ya know.

Yeah, they play at least 3 times a year, so that's probably what happened.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Hate 'em.

i hear ya

not really a fan at all i like the idea of what some of them do, EX: Fundraiser for charity, but that's it everyone ALWASY cheats, the drunkest guys win, win the long drive and closest to the pin - that's a joke
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

hahah! sounds like my last one we were in dont get me wrong, like i said - i like what they do for charity, but that's it we finished -4 and we used my drive, approach and putt to win these 4 holes
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I play in one every year. A company we do business with holds one every year and invites all its customers to make a team of 4. They give away prizes every year (usually a sleeve of balls, gloves or divot tool) no matter if you win or lose. Its a blast to play with your co-workers and a free round of golf and get feed. I don't play them often but the one a year is pretty fun.

I played a couple of these two years ago. I was getting back into golf with one of my coworkers, and we had been playing once in a while, shooting over 110 most of the time. But we were the only people in our department who even owned golf clubs, so the other two guys were worse than us. In the first one we got dead last. We were over par, but not by much. A few months later we got in another one and were saved from a last place finish by a group of women. I think we had a 74 the second time. They did some fun things like a hole where you tee off with a flack jacket on, a par 5 where you could only use a 7 iron, a hole where you tee off with the ball covered by a paper cup.

In a way it was fun, we could relax and try to make a shot. And everyone in our foursome conributed, it was really fun to hit a decent shot. The big drawback was that it took over 6 hours to play. You better like your teammates and want to spend a long time with them.

Note: This thread is 3413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!