IGNORED

Mid-price wedges?

wubskis
Note: This thread is 5327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I'm in the market for some new wedges (looking for gap/sand currently) and was just curious what people thought of any existing mid-range wedges that are out there?

I mean, I'll say right now that if you guys think it's worth it to just get some secondhand Vokeys or CG-14's etc. then sure, I'm down with that.

I can't really spring for new top end wedges, so, in short:

Are there any diamonds in the rough that is the middle of the ground wedge makers?

I posted this before. You can get a set of three Adams Tom Watson wedges in gun metel or chrome for $99.95. I don't have them, but the reveiws I've seen are great. 3 for the price of 1 or 2 of any other wedge.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Heh, could have bet money you'd reply. I saw the post you're speaking of and thought "huh, shame I've never seen a reputable UK vendor of Adams gear." (i.e. not "www.supergolfnumberone.cn"). I was also keen to try an Adams hybrid, since I've seen them getting good appraisals around here.

The wedges you're speaking of do look decent, it's a shame I can't find a site to supply them that doesn't look like a scam, and that I'm super conscious about this kinda stuff

What do you consider "mid-price"?

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

the Nike SV wedges and Callaway X Tour's are all on sale noe CHEAP
Canadian prices - the Nikes are $78 and the Callaways are $88

to me the Nikes set up just like the Vokey's (at address I mean)
cant go wrong w either i am sure
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

What do you consider "mid-price"?

I'd be willing to shoot £40 (~$65) on a wedge at this point, give or take.

the Nike SV wedges and Callaway X Tour's are all on sale noe CHEAP

I was looking at the SV Tours, there was a 56* in the pro shop 'shitbin' for used clubs that looked barely touched for £40 if I remember right. Shame my local pro shop doesn't let you demo wedges yourself. No idea about that one.

Does anyone have an opinion on secondhand wedges, if the quality just divebombs or if they're fine to play? With a quick google I've seen Vokeys and CG-14's for ~£35 secondhand, look a little beat up but nothing you wouldn't inflict upon a new club with a couple rounds.

I really like the Nike SV Tour wedges, and you can get them for $60-$70 new in plastic these days. I intend to pick up a 52 degree to fill the gap between my PW and 56 degree wedge soon.

Here's info from an August post I made on the subject:

"Went to golf shops today and saw some budget wedges, including SWs, GWs, and Lobs.

The following all price at about $40 each:
* Acuity GN2
* Adams Golf Tom Watson Oilcan
* Maxfli Black Max (w/rubber cushion strip in back of head)
* Slazenger Onyx

Anybody play these wedges? Someone must, as the stock has been shrinking all summer long.

Wilson also has some good looking wedges in the $70 range. Cleveland is clearing out its C10 wedges (a couple of years back) for a similar price."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As enis750 and amcquay suggested, the Nike SV Tours are a great wedge that you can get brand new for very cheap now. I've seen them at quite a few places. Everyone I've ever heard that bagged them loved them.

I'll put it like this - I have a 56° Vokey Spin Milled and I love it. I had a 60° Spin Milled fitted and orderered for me tonight. Vokey makes great wedges. But if I was looking to spend between $60-$90, and I had the choice between a new SV or a used Vokey, I wouldnt think twice about getting the new SV.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

What about the Macgregor MT PRO wedges? I picked up 2 for $99 from golfsmith, they are forged and offer very good spin.

G5 9* w/Aldila NV Shaft
4DX +3 (13*)
3DX RC 2-Iwood 17*
i5 3-PW GREEN DOT w/Z-Z65 steel shafts
Ping Eye 2 XG SW & LW

Ping Zing G2 Putter

Hoofer 3 Bag

Nike ball (any)

Rounds this year:81: Granite Falls North84: Trilogy at Vistancia84: Falcon Golf Course82: Granite Falls South 82

Hippo gun metal

In my OGIO bag: Driver: King Cobra ZL 10.5 3 Wood: Ping i20 15 3 Hybrid: Ping i20 20 4 Hybrid: Ping i20 23 5-PW: Mizuno MP60 Project X 5.5 52-56-60: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 Oil Can Putter: Powerbilt EX 200 MA330 Ball: Bridgestone B330RXS

Heh, could have bet money you'd reply. I saw the post you're speaking of and thought "huh, shame I've never seen a reputable UK vendor of Adams gear." (i.e. not "www.supergolfnumberone.cn"). I was also keen to try an Adams hybrid, since I've seen them getting good appraisals around here.

How much would shipping be to the UK I wonder? Bummer you can't get them there!

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

IMO I wouldn't buy used wedges. I have the 64 below and in one year it doesn't spin the way it did when it was new. The groves wear out fast and when they are brand new it is amazing the performance. It looks in good shape (currently) but from experience I would say buy new so you can get that performance.

I would guess that if you are a really strong player you would replace your wedges every year for that reason. I can't do that but I would if I was wealthy.

Brian

What about the Macgregor MT PRO wedges? I picked up 2 for $99 from golfsmith, they are forged and offer very good spin.

Yeah-these are very nice wedges, my MacGregor MT DW 58* gets put into use as much as any other club in my bag.

Hmm, never encountered a Macgregor club in this country but google tells me there's still some vendors. Can only find certain clubs, but at £35, the price sure is right.

How much would shipping be to the UK I wonder? Bummer you can't get them there!

Not sure, can't imagine it being astronomical. Rockbottom Golf for example, when I was shopping for a full set of irons, cost less (including a $55 shipping charge) to get the irons from there that it did in my local store. Luckily, I'm good at haggling

IMO I wouldn't buy used wedges. I have the 64 below and in one year it doesn't spin the way it did when it was new. The groves wear out fast and when they are brand new it is amazing the performance. It looks in good shape (currently) but from experience I would say buy new so you can get that performance.

Hmm, what about the option of groove sharpeners? I've never encountered or used one, so I have no clue one way or the other really. Could it possibly be worth it to get say, two used wedges and spend a little cash on a sharpener?

For now, I'll have a look into the MacGregor wedges, shop around for the SV tours and check out American sites to weigh up the cost of shipping. Thanks again for the help guys!

At the PGA Tour Superstore, they have the MP-T and the MP-R (the model that was just replaced in the line) for $65, brand new.

Doesn't show up on the website, but if you call you might be able to order them over the phone. Don't know what shipping would be to the UK though.

In my X-Series Bag:

Driver G10 10.5*
Woods V-Steel 3W, 5W
Hybrids Pinemeadow ZR1 19* 3HIrons MX-19 4-GWWedge MP-R Black Nickel 54/10Putter Rossa Sebring AGSI+

Note: This thread is 5327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!