IGNORED

The Biggest Secret? Slide Your Hips

iacas

Originally Posted by saevel25

The problem is, when is the pin straight infront of you. What if the pin is sitting in the back right of the green, and going right is short siding your self. You have your shot cone, you aim at the flag, but you happen to be slightly open, you hit the side of the green and it bounces into a bunker or into the water. You know you hit a push fade, you aim for the center of the green, you know if your slighly open you will end up nearer to the pin. If you hit your normal fade you end up 10-15 feet left of the pin, if you hit it straight you end up middle of the green.

this problem become much more troublesome with any sort of wind. You want to hit it straight, but you draw it with the wind, your going to end up way left and over the green. You end up fading into the wind on accident, you end up short of the green. What if you want to go for a pin location that is tight. You can't because with all the variables in the shot, you need to hit it one way or another, because hitting it with a left shot direction means certain death. Its better to always error on one side or the other, because its one less variable you have to play for.

I definitely see the logic of taking one variable out, however, I mostly just shoot for the centers of greens, as my accuracy is pretty poor right now.

I guess when I get better, I'll develop a consistent shot pattern and have the variable of right/left out of play. But until then, I just want to get to within 15 yards on either side of my target line!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I realize I have hijacked this. Apologies.

So.. Hip slide. Vitally important, as we have seen from the numerous examples of professional and sound swings in which this is displayed prominently earlier in the thread. It just seems to me to make sense that in the kinetic chain, the bigger body parts have to get moving in order to allow the smaller parts to move when and where they need to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have really been working on this lately.  I have just been taking swings with no ball.  My questions

1)  Can you slide your hips to far forward?  How do you know if you do this,  what would your miss be.

2)  I am having a hard time keeping my balance.  I fall forward, towards the target after I swing.  I think my upper center moves to far forward.  The way I can keep from falling forward is by feeling like I keep my upper body back, but this feels like hanging back to much.  Is it possible to slide your hips way forward yet hang back with your upper body?

Thank you.  I really enjoyed reading this, and hope this helps me improve my ball striking.

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Originally Posted by buckshot4227

I have really been working on this lately.  I have just been taking swings with no ball.  My questions

1)  Can you slide your hips to far forward?  How do you know if you do this,  what would your miss be.

2)  I am having a hard time keeping my balance.  I fall forward, towards the target after I swing.  I think my upper center moves to far forward.  The way I can keep from falling forward is by feeling like I keep my upper body back, but this feels like hanging back to much.  Is it possible to slide your hips way forward yet hang back with your upper body?

Thank you.  I really enjoyed reading this, and hope this helps me improve my ball striking.

I'll let somebody who knows more about the swing answer your questions more specifically.  However I will say that a good indicator of whether you're sliding too far forward will likely be your head movement.  Physically, your hips can only travel so far from your base unless either your head moves or your feet move...or both.  My goal at the range right now is to get as much hip/torso slide/movement forward without my head moving, and without bringing my right heel off the ground too quickly.  It seems to be helping.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by buckshot4227

Hips going forward is something that happens due to the weight/pressure transferring forward.  Rather than feel the hips slide, feel like the pressure increases under your left foot and you keep your left knee flexed longer.  Notice at A6 (positions below) how the left knee is past the left ankle.  That's as far forward as the lower center goes.  Then you can use that flex and pressure to push off the ground and extend into the followthrough.

Be a good thread to check out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 months later...

Check out this article on how to fix your slice, slide your hips!

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

• Administrator
Originally Posted by tpcollins

So if you're at the top of the backswing, what "initiates" the hip slide - pushing off the right foot?

Not really. Biomechanically, it's more to do with the core muscles, etc. Your trail knee is fairly extended at the top of the backswing - you can't really push off with it. It regains flexion until around A5 to A6 (positions in the swing - click the terminology link in my signature - apologies for the shorthand I'm in a bit of a hurry right now) - and then extends again, typically, but it doesn't do much at all in the downswing. They've attached sensors to people, and the right leg and foot and ankle do almost nothing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

It appears that this hip slide is important for several reasons.  It helps you to shift your weight forward at impact, keep your front wrist straight at impact, creates lag, etc.  If you are supposed to start at about 50/50, and finish with about 80%+ of your weight forward at impact, how much percentage would you say your weight shifts back to the right leg (for a right hander) at any point in the backswing?

Originally Posted by Mr Smell Good

It appears that this hip slide is important for several reasons.  It helps you to shift your weight forward at impact, keep your front wrist straight at impact, creates lag, etc.  If you are supposed to start at about 50/50, and finish with about 80%+ of your weight forward at impact, how much percentage would you say your weight shifts back to the right leg (for a right hander) at any point in the backswing?

http://thesandtrap.com/t/64993/weight-forward-using-swingcatalyst-and-sam-balance-lab-to-explain-pressure-throughout-the-swing

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by theworldengine

hmm. looks like rock in that A6 photo has much less hip slide, looks more like a bump, because his left hip is above or maybe slightly behind his left foot.

Maybe the left pic will help.  Another good "checkpoint" is to make sure the left knee is flexed past the ankle a few inches (right pic)

Mike McLoughlin

I'm sure this was already covered in this thread, but does sliding the hips too much towards the target (at the beginning of transition) cause to much secondary axis tilt? I'm having a problem with my left shoulder working up too quickly on the downswing thus causing blocks and hooks.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by RBA21

I'm sure this was already covered in this thread, but does sliding the hips too much towards the target (at the beginning of transition) cause to much secondary axis tilt? I'm having a problem with my left shoulder working up too quickly on the downswing thus causing blocks and hooks.

It would have to slide a LOT. More likely the head is tipping back.

I saw you had a My Swing thread, but your video is private so we can't see it. "Unlisted" is the way you want to go.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets