IGNORED

Are high handicappers losers?

FHopper
Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will play with any golfer of any skill level as long as they have good golf etiquette and play at a reasonable pace.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the thread-jack. Carry on.
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

I have a high handicap and I do lose...most of the time.

However...

I have put one daughter through college and working on the second. I have been gainfully employed for the last 32 years except for one short 6 month period. I have a career that I love and a woman that's nuts about me.

I'm no loser.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

And if you see a "scratch" golfer [or better] doing that, he's likely not as good as he thinks. Majority of the good golfers I've played with are able to consistently play good because they do not lose their cool. Most people that claim to be God's gift to golf and but really are not, lose their cool quite often I've noticed.

Ever heard of a guy named Tiger?

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I would expect a response like that from some egotistical scratch golfer but not from some middle of the road 4 handicap.

+1 on that

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

Does it count as practice if I play in front of you and hit 2 balls?

That made me laugh.

I think that the O.P. has done a disservice by connecting high-handicappers with losers. I have no idea what one has to do with the other. And certainly a high-handicapper can beat a low handicapper in a net event and heck a higher handicapper can beat a lower handicapper in gross score as well. I don't pick my friends by how good they can or can't play golf. If you enjoy the game of golf, I'd to meet you, swap a couple of stories and for you to buy me a drink or two.

Driver: G10 9.5*
Fairway Woods: 3 & 5
Hybrid: 21*
Irons: I10 4 - 9
Wedges: 48* + Spin-Milled 54 & 60*Putter: Rossa FontanaBall: B330-RX

I'm a high handicap but I bang models and make 7 figures a year

Please can I be your golf buddy?

In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm hoping that this thing will drop over time. But my wife tells me I could loose her if I play more than 2-3 a week... $$$
When i played as a kid (9-13) I could hit the green on long a par 4 with back to back 3 woods. Now I have all these nice hybrids and cavity blades and all I'm doing is over hitting and thinking. I can hit a great shot 7-10 times. I believe my mechanics are good.
Club goes back... straight back, I balance on my toes, left leg bent and transferred little weight on the right, left shoulder under ball, head down.. weight slides and boooom.... sliced. I love it!
Less cooking more golfing.

I am no golf snob, either. However, I do not like to play behind a high handicapper who plays slowly because he or she thinks that taking 3 or 4 practice swings before each shot is going to help him or her hit a good one. If his or her mechanics are not good, then those practice swings are grooving a bad swing, and will not help to produce a good shot.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

I don't pick my friends by how good they can or can't play golf.

Definitely-my golf buddies are serious high cappers/beginners. But they're my friends and there are few things better than hitting the links together. It's just my responsibility to make sure they maintain pace of play.

Definitely-my golf buddies are serious high cappers/beginners. But they're my friends and there are few things better than hitting the links together. It's just my responsibility to make sure they maintain pace of play.

You've nailed it. If golfers with experience played with those with less more often, the "newbies" would learn the rules of etiquette much sooner. It's a trickle down affect.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Is this a serious thread?
Sorry I didn't read through all 12 pages of discussion, but to me anyone who puts a ton of self worth in any number (handicap, paycheck, SAT score . . .) is a complete loser.
Yea I would be a little happier being a 2 instead of a 20 but that doesn't make me or anyone a loser.

The only thing that matters is how to treat people and how you raise your kids, everything else is superfluous.

What's in my sweet Sun Mountain Bag
Driver: 10.5 SuperQuad
3-Wood: Burner
5-Wood: G10
Hybrids: 23 26 Gold Pro Irons: Slingshot 6-A Wedge: 54 & 58 Scratch  Putter: White Ice #1 Gotta have balls: Vapor

You have to start somewhere. There's a difference between a high handicapper who wants to improve and one who's just playing for the hel of it.

_------------------------------------_
mx25's 3-PW
CLK Hybrid 23*
FT-3 Tour 9.5*
MP T 51*, 56*14 SV Tour, 60*8 spin milled XG #9_------------------------------------_

You have to start somewhere. There's a difference between a high handicapper who wants to improve and one who's just playing for the hel of it.

I have the utmost respect for someone who participates in a "sport" just for the hell of it - should they be at home playing XBox or downing pints in the pub - actually those all sound good.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If your holding up others on the course, that's the problem.

_------------------------------------_
mx25's 3-PW
CLK Hybrid 23*
FT-3 Tour 9.5*
MP T 51*, 56*14 SV Tour, 60*8 spin milled XG #9_------------------------------------_

high handicappers are not always losers... thats the whole point in having a hcp system...
say i played a 36 hcp guy and he shot 34 over... while i shoot a 12 over... he'd definately be a winner that day...
i think if a guy is a beginner that is aware of whats happening behind him... if he's holding groups up or not... and he does the proper thing to keep things moving... he's not a loser...
the guy that nobody wants the starter to pair him up with... he's the loser...
the guy that makes an enjoyable round of golf something thats not enjoyable... he's the loser...
ive played with a strong 3 hcp that was a dick because i wouldnt let him hustle me... he's a loser...
ive played hackers that were 36 hcps that were drunk a-holes who wanted to spend 5 hrs screwing around... losers
ive played the exact opposite and to me the losers are the ones that ruin my enjoyment of my round... and the winners are the ones that have fun without taking away the fun of anyone else on the course... be it their playing partners or the ppl behind them... or even anyone playing that day after us(fixing divots... etc)
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 5310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!