IGNORED

Golf Paradise?

PrairieParson
Note: This thread is 2161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes but aren't most bugs in New Zealand deadly?

Quite the opposite, there's only one venomous wild animal in the whole country, a spider that I've only seen once in my life and that's because I was actually looking for one!

Quite the opposite, there's only one venomous wild animal in the whole country, a spider that I've only seen once in my life and that's because I was actually looking for one!

Ok count me in. I like the All Blacks anyway.

The RTJ Trail in Alabama is great. I've always wanted to tour all the courses. I think the one in Birmingham is the longest in the country. or something like that.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Ok count me in. I like the All Blacks anyway.

Yep, i've played all the courses in and surrounding Birmingham--Oxmoor Valley, Capitol Hill, Grand National, and a few others whose names I cannot recall at this moment. All are absolutely superb--it's one hell of a bargain.

In my bag

907 D2 Driver
904 F2 3 & 5 Wood
ZM Forged 4-9 Irons wedges 52 Spin Milled 48, 56, 60 Newport 2 putter 35"

I appreciate all the information. Our public courses in the Lubbock area are not the best, as the climate is so dry and we are stuggling with a persistent water shortage. It doesn't help that we have only had about 11 inches of rain so far this year. If any of you have doubts that good golf courses can be found for about $25 a round, check out the link.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/golf/monona/

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Peachtree City, GA and look into the Canongate courses. You join one (for very affordable rates) and get playing privileges at a constantly increasing number. When I left in 93, I believe we had access to 9. Now I think its over 20 in the system. Keep in mind this was years ago, but the initiation fee was $500, and then $100-$150 / month for unlimited golf (per family, not individual). I've heard that its gone up, but not by much. Good courses, great pros, and the community of Peachtree City was developed as a planned community. Most families have a car and a golf cart. There are even golf cart parking lots at the high school, grocery stores, etc. It'll definitely be high on my list of possible retirement locations when I get there.
In the Bag:
TaylorMade R11TP Driver
TaylorMade R11TP 3 wood (15.5)
Mizuno MP 63 3-PW
Vokey 52Vokey 56TAD MOORE Pro1P

As I am getting closer to retirement, I am looking for a place to retire that has decent affordable golf available. Affordable for me would be under $25 dollars a round. There are some cities/ counties that have nice public courses in this price range. Both Madison and Milwaukee Wi. have nice public golf courses, as well as many nice privately owned but public courses in the area. Amarillo Texas has 4 well maintained public courses.

I am going to suggest Bella Vista, Arkansas. On the Missouri/Ark border, north of Fayetteville. Community of 15,000 or so. Real Estate is plentiful and dirt cheap. 7 or 8 golf courses with membership if you own a lot or house. I the Ozarks, beautiful, and the golf is essentially year-round.

http://www.beautifulbellavista.com/ Hope this helps
  • Like 1

Canton, Ohio is a nice place for golf. Many public courses and also alot of country clubs.

My ideal retirement(I'm along way away and I'm already thinking about it, haha) would me to live right here in Canton, Ohio for April-September and then have another small little house in Naples, Florida for October-March so I can go golfing all year round.
  • Like 1

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

thanks for the heads up about Alabama! Finally, a new place to look in to that I haven't really heard before...

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5° Stock Stiff
Wood: Tour Burner TS 13° Stock Stiff
Hybrid: Tour Burner T2 18° Stock Stiff
Irons: Tour Preferred 3-PW Rifle Project X 6.0
Wedges: 54.10|58.08 Z TP Rifle Spinner 5.5 Putter: VP Mills VP2 Ball: TP/Red.LDP Bag: Warbird Hot Stand Bag 2.0Started playing...

• 8 years later...

This is an old thread I realize, but a subject/question I'd like to resurrect.  Our current retirement location is fly fishing centric but that could change in the years ahead.  I see Alabama and the RTJ's trail of courses has made the list.  I've never been to that area or played those courses, but they seem popular.  What other places have you found or are considering for retirement that offers access to good courses, nearly year round play, at reasonable golf and real estate prices, that is just far enough away from megatropolus areas?  Is that set of requirements nearly unobtanium? :-D

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

5 hours ago, fishgolf said:

This is an old thread I realize, but a subject/question I'd like to resurrect.  Our current retirement location is fly fishing centric but that could change in the years ahead.  I see Alabama and the RTJ's trail of courses has made the list.  I've never been to that area or played those courses, but they seem popular.  What other places have you found or are considering for retirement that offers access to good courses, nearly year round play, at reasonable golf and real estate prices, that is just far enough away from megatropolus areas?  Is that set of requirements nearly unobtanium? :-D

I'll give the same suggestion I made in this thread nine years ago:  Phoenix AZ and the surrounding areas (e.g., Scottsdale, Glendale).  If I were able to retire today, I'd be house shopping there this summer.

In the Phoenix area, you can play golf close to 365,  although I don't know what golf costs at different parts of the year, probably higher in the snowbird season.  Real estate is reasonably priced.  You can get similar in Palm Desert CA.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, fishgolf said:

I think if I were to move anywhere for the ability to play golf year-round it would be Southern California. When I drove across the country last December, Alabama was my least favorite state, but your milage may vary (and I was only there for a few hours).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My current plan is to end up in the Pinehurst area.  Golf most of the year, friendly people, reasonably priced real estate.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I'll give the same suggestion I made in this thread nine years ago:  Phoenix AZ and the surrounding areas (e.g., Scottsdale, Glendale).  If I were able to retire today, I'd be house shopping there this summer.

In the Phoenix area, you can play golf close to 365,  although I don't know what golf costs at different parts of the year, probably higher in the snowbird season.  Real estate is reasonably priced.  You can get similar in Palm Desert CA.  

We just spent our first winter season in Yuma and liked it.  Golf courses are decent and prices pretty low.  We did visit the Del Webb in Sun City Festival and they have a gorgeous course.  We plan to check out some other surrounding areas this coming winter season.  Pretty darn hot in summer months unless you're up near Prescott or Flagstaff.  One of the executive courses near our place in Yuma leaves a jar at the shop and request a $5 honor fee.  Guy's tell me they start rounds at dawn to beat the triple digit mid morning. :-O

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I think if I were to move anywhere for the ability to play golf year-round it would be Southern California. When I drove across the country last December, Alabama was my least favorite state, but your milage may vary (and I was only there for a few hours).

Did you play any of the RTJ courses or get a look at them?

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

17 hours ago, Shindig said:

I always say that Phoenix is not year round golf because you almost can't play golf in Phoenix in the summer. I spent several summers there in my 20s and even then in my prime it was very difficult to get in 18. it's 105° at 6:00 in the morning and 115° by 9:00am, its ridiculous. Try playing golf with someone blowing a hair dryer in your face the entire time. I've played golf in Florida in the summer and its much better. Still hot but I never found it as bad a phoenix.

23 hours ago, fishgolf said:

New Mexico has the weather you speak of, but has some other stuff working against us like being one of the poorest states in the country. Hard to beat when it comes to outdoor activities.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:56 AM, NM Golf said:

New Mexico has the weather you speak of, but has some other stuff working against us like being one of the poorest states in the country. Hard to beat when it comes to outdoor activities.

We actually looked into Farmington NM as it has the San Juan River and several other great fly fishing rivers close by in southwest CO.  What area in NM do you live and play golf?

18 hours ago, fishgolf said:

We actually looked into Farmington NM as it has the San Juan River and several other great fly fishing rivers close by in southwest CO.  What area in NM do you live and play golf?

I live in Albuquerque which is right in the center of the state. The Four Corners area (Farmington) is nice, but I am not sure about the year round golf you are looking for, pretty cold up there in the winter. The golf in that area is great, Farmington has one of the best golf courses in the state, Pinon Hills, and just north in Durango you have Dalton Ranch which is also fantastic. Fly fishing is world class around that area. The San Juan is great and you have the headwaters of the Rio Grande just north of there which I have fished quite a bit, not to mention the Chama and Brazos rivers not too far away as well. 

Albuquerque is nice because we are warm enough to play golf year round and close enough to some really good rivers that you can make an easy day trip. I have a group of 24 guys that make a trip up there to play golf and fly fish every fall in South Fork Colorado, just northeast of Farmington. 

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 10/20/2009 at 11:32 PM, Supermanwoot said:

Typical liberal society. Low crime here in NC because people know that anyone can legally have a gun on them to defend themselves and their property, the way THINGS WERE MEANT TO BE!

Oh and there is good/cheap golf here too!

I'd stay out of North Carolina just because of this guy.

On 10/21/2009 at 12:54 AM, kpaulhus said:

Florida. Jacksonville says a bit cooler that Tampa and you can get mid day tee times in either city for under $30. I personally think that there are better courses in Jax than Tampa, plus the city is much more laid back. Plus you have year round golf.

You're right about Jacksonville and Florida, but only because of the weather. I mean, another hellscape.

On 10/21/2009 at 5:28 PM, mctaylor22 said:

You want golf paradise? Move to Alabama and play the RTJ courses. Yearly memberships are incredibly affordable and the courses are hands down, some of the best I have ever played. This is coming from a guy who was born, raised, lives, and has played a lot of golf in Texas. Yep, that's where i'm moving--Alabama.

This is better, but the guy clearly lives near Madison and Milwaukee. The RTJ golf trail exists amongst a trail of trailer parks and towns that are thrilled when a Taco Bell opens.

On 10/21/2009 at 1:50 AM, ryohazuki222 said:

Austin, TX is a beautiful city.

City course memberships for seniors are as low as $430 per year, plus only $2 surcharge every time you play. But if you want to ride... carts run a lot at $12.

One good recommendation.

On 10/21/2009 at 8:07 AM, cepausm said:

I would recommend The Villages. It is just north of Orlando, Fl.

www.thevillages.com

Has quite a few courses.

The villages also has the highest rate of STD's in the nation, I'd guess mostly because the population has a had a lifetime of sex partners to accrue such a thing. My parents actually considered moving there, until they realized it was an aquarium of people you'll watch die before you.

"Witty golf quote."

Note: This thread is 2161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!