IGNORED

"Deep" Hands Explained (or "Depth")

iacas
Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by nevets88

What do you think of this FB post? The guy on the right has more tilt and his hips are turned more, so his arms should be deeper, no?

Asian Golf Institute

Has your pro ever told you the importance of your hand position in relation to your chest or for that matter even addressed this issue?

The further your hands get away from the center is akin to moving your impact behind the ball. Can you play golf this way? Sure you can, but that would require some form of compensation. An easier way to play would be to follow how John Senden does it. Check to see your hands are...

Like Erik said, Jose is just turned more by this position, so the arms will be deeper.  See many hall of fame players looking similar to Jose from both angles.  The dtl camera angles are also different, making Jose look more "in" than he actually is.  Funny thing is Jose's hands are more "in front" of his chest than Senden's.  Certainly not behind his chest at this point.  Just illustrates the lack of knowledge and common sense the Asian Golf Institute guy has.

(I didn't draw the blue line, draw by the instructor recording the video)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working on Key #4 and hand path with Evolvr and just have a quick question.

How deep is too deep at A4?

I need to get my hands a touch higher and I think the way to do this would be to have my hands a little less deep (shallower?) as per the image on the left. I also think that keeping my right arm more in front of my body will help with the 'deepness' too.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by keeps21

I need to get my hands a touch higher and I think the way to do this would be to have my hands a little less deep (shallower?) as per the image on the left. I also think that keeping my right arm more in front of my body will help with the 'deepness' too.

Yup. Consider your right elbow more as being responsible for the "ascent" of the hands, and your turn responsible for the depth of your hands. The right elbow may be contributing too much depth currently.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Yup. Consider your right elbow more as being responsible for the "ascent" of the hands, and your turn responsible for the depth of your hands. The right elbow may be contributing too much depth currently.

Thanks Erik.

Just fired off a video to Evolvr working on this so hopefully I'm getting it right and then I'll try to get it ingrained

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator

Artwork was too good to waste. ;-)

Good drill if you have a friend, or stick two shafts or a shaft and a driveway marker together.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Artwork was too good to waste.

Good drill if you have a friend, or stick two shafts or a shaft and a driveway marker together.

You know you're a golf geek when this is one of the coolest things you've seen all day.

Mike McLoughlin

Artwork was too good to waste. ;-) Good drill if you have a friend, or stick two shafts or a shaft and a driveway marker together. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/92745/] [/URL]

Charlie's coach could really use a cheeseburger. : )

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

You know you're a golf geek when this is one of the coolest things you've seen all day.

+1 :dance:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I dub thee, Knight of the Hands Deep, rise and may your people hit high draws long and far, forevermore.

• Upvote 3

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 3 months later...
This is EXACTLY what my instructor is working with me on, it's one big key to a great golf swing. My recent problem is that I sometimes don't move my hands "inside" enough. My question is how far do you go inside with your hands at the A2 position? If you would drop your hands from the A2 position, in which direction would the clubhead fall? Towards your toes or the middle of your right foot? Do the hands move 90 degrees inside from the A1 position?

This "pressure points" feeling in the armpits is what I just recently started noticing. I hit a particularly good shot the other day and realized I could feel my upper arms stayed in contact with my upper chest/sides. I started focusing on keeping that feeling the rest of the day and I started hitting some very quality shots. Most of the shots that went wrong were duck hooks which I assumed was due to getting too flat.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

This "pressure points" feeling in the armpits is what I just recently started noticing. I hit a particularly good shot the other day and realized I could feel my upper arms stayed in contact with my upper chest/sides. I started focusing on keeping that feeling the rest of the day and I started hitting some very quality shots. Most of the shots that went wrong were duck hooks which I assumed was due to getting too flat.

It was probably something else, might have just been missed more towards the toe. You can scroll up a few posts and see the A4 of Charlie Hoffman, you probably weren't swinging your arms "flatter" than that. Torso alignments might have gotten too flat, tough to say since I'm not familiar with your swing.

Mike McLoughlin

It was probably something else, might have just been missed more towards the toe. You can scroll up a few posts and see the A4 of Charlie Hoffman, you probably weren't swinging your arms "flatter" than that. Torso alignments might have gotten too flat, tough to say since I'm not familiar with your swing.

It's strange that such a small thing like this may have such a large impact in improving my swing. I will have a better idea if it's still helping after tonight. If it proves to still be better I'll hit the range and record an updated swing and post it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

After posting my swing, Erik suggested I see this thread.

Question: How do you get deep hands without pulling the club too far to the inside? i.e. "below the swing plane." I can see that my hands (and arms and everything else) are very shallow, but I think I've been swinging this way to compensate for trying to avoid pulling the club too far behind me on the takeaway. Is it a function of forearm rotation and proper wrist cock?

After posting my swing, Erik suggested I see this thread.

Question: How do you get deep hands without pulling the club too far to the inside? i.e. "below the swing plane." I can see that my hands (and arms and everything else) are very shallow, but I think I've been swinging this way to compensate for trying to avoid pulling the club too far behind me on the takeaway. Is it a function of forearm rotation and proper wrist cock?

Question, did you read through the thread?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Question, did you read through the thread?

Not the whole thing, no. What'd I miss?

• Administrator

Is it a function of forearm rotation and proper wrist cock?

In a word, yes.

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!