IGNORED

The Stack and Tilt Golf Swing

iacas

Apparently the new official S&T; DVD will be out in January. Pre orders mid-December. Better presentation, refinements to the pattern and no spammy, scammy Medicus involvement. On my Christmas list!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Excellent news.  Thanks Stretch.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

im working on this swing daily.....im readin the book as i go also.....i wanna ask a question on the shoulder turn....i wonder how much is to much? when i feel my back muscles tighten have i turned way to much, cause this morning my back is killing me like i may have tried to turn to much....

Originally Posted by slykatrinah

The key muscles for hip movement are gluteal and hip. They have  to be strong and flexible for a proper hip turn. To get them strong and flexible do resistance training and stretching.

All the best!

Or you could just straighten the right leg

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by outlaw1984

im working on this swing daily.....im readin the book as i go also.....i wanna ask a question on the shoulder turn....i wonder how much is to much? when i feel my back muscles tighten have i turned way to much, cause this morning my back is killing me like i may have tried to turn to much....

How much downward?  Want the shoulders to turn 90* to the spine at set-up.  Too much, whether it's too shallow or steep a shoulder turn, will move the head excessively.

Mike McLoughlin

ill take video of this when i get home unless its pouring to rain.....

@mvmac now i realize why the right leg straightening and left leg bending towards target line is so important....if u dont do that the the shoulder turn is impossible to get....am i correct????

ill take video of this when i get home unless its pouring to rain.....

@mvmac now i realize why the right leg straightening and left leg bending towards target line is so important....if u dont do that the the shoulder turn is impossible to get....am i correct????

Correct, without the right knee losing some flex, not completely straight, makes it very hard to to turn the hips, allow the left shoulder to move downward, and the arms to get depth.

All these players below are NOT S&T; students

Right knee flexion change 1.jpg

Right knee flexion change 2.jpg

Right knee flexion change 4.jpg

Right Knee flexion change 5.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out Sara Dickson's review of a recent S&T; presentation

http://saradickson.com/?p=870

Mike McLoughlin

So you guys know ive been trying to learn S&T; for almost a week now.....ive read through the book once and im going back for part 2 and im going to make notes as i go along.....

anyway while i was practicing this i got a pain in my lower back....i personally think its due to overswing and moving the club to fast in the backswing....

any drills on how i can slow it down and still get good distance?

So you guys know ive been trying to learn S&T; for almost a week now.....ive read through the book once and im going back for part 2 and im going to make notes as i go along.....

anyway while i was practicing this i got a pain in my lower back....i personally think its due to overswing and moving the club to fast in the backswing....

One thing that helps me is thinking about the downswing beginning after I transition down and into my left knee, with the left knee moving out over the ankle target-ward.  The club has actually started moving down way before this.  Thinking about the transition as part of the backswing helps me to not rush it.  That's a pretty slow part of the swing.  The backswing should generally be a faster portion of the swing than the transition.  The golf swing goes fast-slow-fast, not fast-faster-fastest.  Just give yourself time to start your legs/hips first and then hit the ball with your right shoulder and jumping motion once you are in a position to hit.  Counting it out helps, but the problem is mental, so you need a new way to think about it.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Film your swing, man! Post it on the forum. It's so hard to help you without seeing what you are actually doing.

Your lower back should not be hurting. You are doing something wrong.

Constantine

Back issues -- and a week

It takes more than a week to get the turn shoulder down, lean left, and extend your back of the backswing - from what I know, you perform all three motions together and consistently to the top. If you extend the back during the backswing, it will help

On the downswing, you also extend your back.

Both of those motions relieve pressure on the back.

It leads me to believe that you should re-read those sections of the book and available videos at stackandtiltgolfswing.com, and try not overusing your back -- 3-4 hrs of full swing on a range on a daily basis will tire you out so that you are not performing the swing in the correct way.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

ill see how the weather fairs up today, if it does ill take a video of my swing....

Good to know because now you'll be able to get some tips that are relevant to your swing .

From a theoretical stand point though, the three main reasons someone experiences lower back pain are 1) a poor setup position 2) twisting on the backswing with shoulders that are too flat and 3) staying in flexion on the downswing.

If you setup with an arched position in your lower back, you run the risk of putting too much stress on your lumbar spine, like this guy demonstrating in this picture:

Picture 9.png

The fix here is having a more rounded back in the thoracic spine, like David Wedzik is demonstrating in this photo:

Picture 15.png

2) If you are twisting against your lower back on the backswing, then you probably have shoulders that are turning too flat and your head is translating away from the target. The fix here is turning your shoulders more downward -- or on a steeper angle -- and allowing your trail knee to lose some of its address flex. This allows the shoulders and hips to turn on their inclined plane and the head to stay centered. Like in this photo below:

basics11.jpg

Don't do it like this photo:

Picture 18.png

Or this photo, with shoulders that are too flat:

Picture 21.png

3) The third likely cause for lower back pain is staying in flexion on the downswing and never extending the spine. To do this, you must slide your hips laterally along your stance line, or, tuck the butt. Do you take deep divots? Tucking the butt through the strike takes the steepness out of the swing. The level of your belt should rise a few inches through impact. Releasing the hips from their downward tilt helps shallow the swing to prevent steep crashes. Focus on pushing off the ground and straightening your legs as your arms stay straight through the shot.

If you stay in flexion, not only does your swing speed drop dramatically, but you run the risk of putting excess stress on the lumbar spine.

In this picture, the golfer is tucking his butt-cheeks together as he slides his hips so he can extend his spine and not keep it flexed forward excessively:

basics71.jpg

Not like this picture -- the slowest way to swing a golf club:

Picture 13.png

• Upvote 4

Constantine