IGNORED

Return of the Colored Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 5188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Colored Golf Balls?

• Yes please!
    • Oh golly no!

A Srixon insider on another forum implied that the yellow Z-star might see some play at this weekend Northern Trust tournament. It would be interesting if it does...

Dymo2 str8-Fit 10.5 driver & Dymo2 3 wood
#3 & #4 Machspeed Hybrids
5-PW i701 irons
52 & 58 XFT Wedges
White Ice 2-Ball CS Putter One Vapor Sidekick push cartSonocaddie Auto Play GPS

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with the camo golf balls. Let's make the game really challenging. Digital Camo would be even better...

I agree that I play white balls because the premium balls only came in white, but if they made them in different colors, I'd probably use them just to get the funny looks on the golf course. I played a local scramble with a pink breast cancer ball, just to give the other people around me something to talk about and laugh about. The fact that there was much beer involved, and a side wager had nothing to do with it..........

Hey, now that my R9's were stolen, and I'm playing with cheap clubs, I should go to the yellow Srixons so that I look like a brand new golfer. Then when the locals laugh when I step up on the tee and talk about wagers..........hmmmmmmm............

I'm okay with my playing partners using coloured golf balls. If somebody gave me a sleeve, I'd try them. Maybe not the pink ones, or the virtually invisble ones that are guaranteed to be lost by the second hole (blue, green, two tone pings), but what the hell. I golf with guys who use sort of girly looking clubs with decorative badges all over, golf bags with sparkly reflective fabric, pink graphite shafts, stuffed animal headcovers. Who cares what colour the ball is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As long as good quality to play, I don't mind color, if not outrageous I guess.

Driver: Big Bertha 460, (9° Steel) | Wood: X Fairway 3W (15° Steel) | Hybrid: X 3H (21° Steel) |
Irons: 4-PW, MP-52 (TT DG S300) | Wedges: X-Forged Chrome 52°/13, 56°/15, 60°/10 (TT DG S300) |
Putter: Ping Karsten Anser

They look great but yeah you've got a point, a white ball when it's sitting down in the round is hard enough to find never mind a black one!

They knew that when the made them, it was one ball per box, originally might have been a way to win something if you got the box with a black one, just a way to popularize a ball with black in the brand name.

I use to play them when I first started. I didn't care for the orange ones, there was a difference in the shade of yellow from company to company. The easiest ones had almost a bit of lime green tint, I think the called it optic yellow. I agree on cloudy days or towards dusk they were a lot easier to see in the air, not that big a difference on the ground, but a again when it was cloudy or in the fall brown stuff, some benefit. Vanished in the leaves just like white in my opinion

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Watching the tournament last night on the Golf Channel they showed an Asian player using a yellow ball. I thought it was Shigeki Maruyama, but I think he is sponsored with Bridgestone??? They did not state the brand of ball.

Dymo2 str8-Fit 10.5 driver & Dymo2 3 wood
#3 & #4 Machspeed Hybrids
5-PW i701 irons
52 & 58 XFT Wedges
White Ice 2-Ball CS Putter One Vapor Sidekick push cartSonocaddie Auto Play GPS

I have a park nearby so if i golf there i use some brightly colored ball, as not to lose them.

Otherwise i will always use a white ball because it's part of the tradition of the game. UNLESS, they have a callaway tour ball with their pearl colored cover. Those are actually helpful and i wish they weren't only associated with women callaway balls

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

Couldn't use yellow on my course, the range balls are (almost) all yellow, and the way it's arranged on a couple holes you'd have trouble picking yours out from among all the range balls.

I vote for a transparent shell with a couple ultra-bright LEDs and an impact sensor inside so the ball flashes in the air after every shot.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

there was a yellow ball in play yesteday at Riviera,,, Asian player,,cant remember which one.. got some TV time though.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

Why do people assume the ball is "traditionally" white?

It seems to me that most of thos balls started out white

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

• Administrator
there was a yellow ball in play yesteday at Riviera,,, Asian player,,cant remember which one.. got some TV time though.

Shigeki Maruyama.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

White only for me. I've never thought that the yellow/green balls were any more visible than the white.

There is a guy at my home course that uses the yellow/green balls. He's legally blind. I'm not sure of the color of car that he drives to and from the course....guessing it has to be yellow too.

White golf balls for normal play. The only time I use orange/green is for back yard wedge practice when there is still pockets of snow on the ground.

At Asian Tour Q School I played with a guy (Peter) who played with a Japanese guy using Tour Stage's colored balls. The Japanese dude let Peter try one. Peter said the ball kicks butt, once you get over the pearl cover and color of course. He said the ball gave him an extra 5 yards easy. And was responsive off irons and around the greens.

My vote is for "Yes"

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 5188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!