IGNORED

Trackman Data: PGA Tour vs. LPGA (With 2017 Data!

iacas
Note: This thread is 803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Awesome thread here, really interesting to see the launch angle of a wedge is only 24 degrees. They must really be hitting those things back in their stance? That's like a low bullet with a ton of spin, so it comes out low and quickly the angle of ascent climbs, and by the time it lands it is coming down steep.

If you go to a tour event and watch them on the range with a sand wedge or lob id say they hit them with a medium ball flight. Definitely lower than their PW and 9 iron in terms of overall height. I think this is to minimize the effect of win which can play havoc on short irons if you get them up there too high. Im sure they can jack them up there if they really want to.

Ahh, verifiable data. I remember when somebody posted in the "250 yard carry" thread that 250 yards was a "decent" or "good" carry distance and thinking to myself, "Good? It's freakin great." Unfortunately, this data probably won't help most amateurs put their exaggerated distances into perspective.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The 2010 driver data from the pgatour is quite interesting.

there are 105 players whose average carry is less than the 269 carry in the data that started this thread.

number 100 on the long drive list is Hunter Mahan whose average carry is 266. however, he has a longest carry of 293 so either a big tailwind, downhill or he just leaves a lot in the tank most of the time.

there is a tonne of other data broken down by player as well.

Driver: Nakashima 10.5 degree
3 Wood: 15 degree F2
Hybrids: 19 and 21 degree
Irons: MP-58, 4-9 iron
Wedges: Vokey sm 47.06, 53.08, 58.08Putter: studio select 2.5Ball: Pro Vx : Warren Golf Club 73.6 : 146

Unfortunately, this data probably won't help most amateurs put their exaggerated distances into perspective.

Yes, and that's the real heart of the matter. 300 yards, even 250 yards is a long way. A lot of people think all it takes is some clubhead speed, but it's more about having a fundamentally sound, repeatable swing that can give you those results. I swing the club right around 110 mph, and I'd

love to sit here and tell you I average 250 yards of carry, but my best struck shots carry about 265 yards, with my average shot carrying around 235 or even less.

Yes, and that's the real heart of the matter. 300 yards, even 250 yards is a long way. A lot of people think all it takes is some clubhead speed, but it's more about having a fundamentally sound, repeatable swing that can give you those results. I swing the club right around 110 mph, and I'd

I almost feel sad for people who want so badly to hit the ball > 300 yards, and carry their driver >250 that they exaggerate on the internet. Almost.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Go to Thailand! Amazingly, my carry distance is almost exactly the same with the ladies. All I have to do is hit straighter and have a sex change too.

All i can say is that my numbers would be extremely competitive... I had no idea.... this is really encouraging... I think I have a future on the tour.....

• 2 months later...
Interesting, those pga tour average carry distances are exactly the distances I play my clubs at. Give or take a yard or two of course.

In my bag | TM R9 10.5° | TM Burner 15° | TM Burner Rescue 19° | Mizuno MP-37's | Vokey 54°/60° | TM Rossa Daytona | Bridgestone e6

Mens or ladies?

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...

Well these records support my comments regarding the distances many golfers post. I still believe, throughout a round of golf, we/golfers, hit the ball much shorter than our assumptions. These are pro's, and we're somewhere between amateurs and hackers? I gotta admit, I hit like a lady it appears at age 62 based on the above charts!

Always in the fairway and shoot a fair round of golf but really, this old disabled man hits like a LADY! OMG!

I believe that mid (16+) to high (> 20) hcap men amateurs (who play once a week and without range sessions in between) would probably play distances in line with LPGA pros, if they were honest with their "average" vs "did you see that (one) shot at no. 12 (from the game three months ago)". Nothing to be ashamed of lads. Play on!

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

i am the owner of a proud female swing...6500 par 72 is plenty of golf course for me!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I am way more inline with the LPGA distances than the PGA at age 55. By the way it would be helpful to know the average loft of the clubs used by the pros. I'd venture that my 6 iron loft is a few degrees weaker than that of the average tour pro. I'm not sure if this applies to the LPGA.

Originally Posted by Shanks A Million

This chart really makes you laugh at the threads like "how far do you hit your driver." The best players in the world, generating 112 mph of clubhead speed somehow hit it shorter than the members of this forum.

Is it safe to say that the pro's don't swing as fast as they are capable of? Or do they swing all-out when being monitored by Trackman? I've played with a couple of guys who go all-out with their clubs (and I've seen them drive the ball in upper 200's). So it seems reasonable that an athletic amateur swinging at 100% might be able to meet or exceed a pro who swings at 85 or 90%. I may be completely wrong, but at that level there's so much more to the game than simply hitting long. The ability to perform under pressure seems to be just one of the many things that separates the pros from everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, it's human nature to exaggerate (and actually believe what they're saying) and certainly there's some of that here. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't believe with the availability of GPS that all of the long-hitting claims are B.S.

Jon

Originally Posted by JonMA1

So it seems reasonable that an athletic amateur swinging at 100% might be able to meet or exceed a pro who swings at 85 or 90%.

Of course that is reasonable.  But not every amateur is athletic.  I would propose that not even "most" are athletic.

Besides that, it's a big assumption that the amateurs are swinging at 100% and the pros at 85-90.  I wouldn't know how to quantify these things.  I've definitely seen pros go at particular swings with everything they've got, and other times I've seen what appears to my novice eye as a more controlled swing.  How much or often do they do one vs the other?  I wouldn't know.  But what is to say that an amateur always swings 100% during their rounds anyway?

No, I think it's more likely that what Shanks was referring to is just amateurs that have no clue how far they claim to hit is actually is.  I can remember playing with strangers, drilling a tee shot and them talking about how far it went.  When they see me measuring it with GPS, they sometimes offer "300?"  When I respond, "no, about 275," they go "oh," almost as if disappointed in how short it was.  In their mind, 275 the number is short, even though 275 the distance appears far.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

No, I think it's more likely that what Shanks was referring to is just amateurs that have no clue how far they claim to hit is actually is.  I can remember playing with strangers, drilling a tee shot and them talking about how far it went.  When they see me measuring it with GPS, they sometimes offer "300?"  When I respond, "no, about 275," they go "oh," almost as if disappointed in how short it was.  In their mind, 275 the number is short, even though 275 the distance appears far.

I would agree with most of that. Kind of like describing the size of the fish that got away. Still, you've played with folks who hit 275 which is up there with tour average.

Also, the driving ranges I use aren't very accurately marked. I've watched my drives on the range go out beyond the 250 mark. Yet, once I'm on the course I'm lucky to have a straight, well-hit drive reach 220 when going by the course markings. So if I just went by the range, I believe I can drive the ball 250 yards and have no idea I'm how wrong I am. Seems like GPS is the way to go if you're really into telling people how far you hit.

Jon

Is it safe to say that the pro's don't swing as fast as they are capable of? Or do they swing all-out when being monitored by Trackman? I've played with a couple of guys who go all-out with their clubs (and I've seen them drive the ball in upper 200's). So it seems reasonable that an athletic amateur swinging at 100% might be able to meet or exceed a pro who swings at 85 or 90%. I may be completely wrong, but at that level there's so much more to the game than simply hitting long. The ability to perform under pressure seems to be just one of the many things that separates the pros from everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, it's human nature to exaggerate (and actually believe what they're saying) and certainly there's some of that here. Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't believe with the availability of GPS that all of the long-hitting claims are B.S..

I don't say it's BS and never would, but I totally understand what you are saying and I actually agree 100%. I wasn't there when they played, never saw them do it, but I'd venture to say that over a whole round of golf, the average golfer (weekender) would play worse than what they believe they shoot. But that's not criticism it just most likely true. Can people clock one out there near the 300 yard marker? Sure but so very few can do it and keep the ball in the fairway or in play. I just hit the ball with the club I feel can get the job done and leave it at that. A friend of mine was using a 7 iron on a par 3 with a very tall tree you had to go over. He just clipped the tip top of the tree and the ball fell far short of the green. I used a 5 hybrid and got enough height from the ball that it cleared the trees and landed on the green. It wasn't any special shot. I have the feeling that many golfers use a club 'someone else is using' or what they believe someone else is using instead of using the best club for the shot, and, the misperception of hitting the ball 300 yards makes some golfers try the impossible. Impossible for them at that point in time. They may achieve it sooner or later but overall it's an impossible feat for 90% of weekend golfers, to step up to the first set of tees and hit hitting the ball 300 yards. Just doesn't happen in real life to most of us I believe. I wish it did! That's for certain.

Originally Posted by DocParty

I don't say it's BS and never would, but I totally understand what you are saying and I actually agree 100%. I wasn't there when they played, never saw them do it, but I'd venture to say that over a whole round of golf, the average golfer (weekender) would play worse than what they believe they shoot. But that's not criticism it just most likely true. Can people clock one out there near the 300 yard marker? Sure but so very few can do it and keep the ball in the fairway or in play. I just hit the ball with the club I feel can get the job done and leave it at that. A friend of mine was using a 7 iron on a par 3 with a very tall tree you had to go over. He just clipped the tip top of the tree and the ball fell far short of the green. I used a 5 hybrid and got enough height from the ball that it cleared the trees and landed on the green. It wasn't any special shot. I have the feeling that many golfers use a club 'someone else is using' or what they believe someone else is using instead of using the best club for the shot, and, the misperception of hitting the ball 300 yards makes some golfers try the impossible. Impossible for them at that point in time. They may achieve it sooner or later but overall it's an impossible feat for 90% of weekend golfers, to step up to the first set of tees and hit hitting the ball 300 yards. Just doesn't happen in real life to most of us I believe. I wish it did! That's for certain.

So if you guys are saying that the ones who put 300 yds down for how far they hit their drivers are either going by those one or two perfect drives or they simply misjudge their distances going by eye, I'll buy that. Hell, that makes me feel better about my distances (or lack there of). It seems like the fastest way for me to ruin a good swing is to start trying to increase my distances simply because I want to be where everyone else is. I don't want to stop improving - distance being part of that - but at some point I have to realize there are physical limitations. Last time I checked the scorecard, there wasn't a column where the club I used factored in on my final score. If you use a 5 hybrid and hit the green and your opponent uses a 7 iron and misses, who's the better golfer?

Regarding the pros, I sometimes think the LPGA is more entertaining to watch (not just for the obvious reasons). I wish the Golf Channel would show more of it.

Jon

Hell, that makes me feel better about my distances (or lack there of). It seems like the fastest way for me to ruin a good swing is to start trying to increase my distances simply because I want to be where everyone else is. I don't want to stop improving - distance being part of that - but at some point I have to realize there are physical limitations.

Yeah, don't worry about it but also don't stop trying to improve it.  Just remember that during the round isn't the time to try and improve your distances, unless it's a practice round.

In your previous post to me, you mentioned that I played with guys who drive it 275, but I rarely do.  I'm the guy that typically drives it that far, and the vast majority of the time I'm the longest hitter in my group.  And there are days when it seems like the wind is always in my face, my swing doesn't feel very powerful, and I probably average more like 245-250 off the tee.  Sometimes I have to restrain myself from trying to swing harder to get to a driving distance I feel I should be at.  The reality is that from the tees I generally play from (6400-6700), driving it 250 isn't an issue.  Driving it 300 would be overkill for a lot of the holes on a lot of the course I've seen.

I used to track every tee shot via GPS, which is why I know my distances really well.  I no longer do, as they aren't as important to me anymore.  I guess it's possible that when all I had to hang my hat on was how far I hit it, I cared a lot about it.  Another part of it was genuine curiosity from wanting to compare my distances to pros and to what I read online.  Now that I have a general feel for both, I no longer care to obsess over it.  I'm mostly concerned with stats that are more relevant to the score.  But I think that progression is natural from being a beginning golfer and transitioning into a golfer that works very hard to maintain a legitimate handicap.

I did recently play with a guy who shocked me with the distances he hit.  He hit every club 20 yards further than I do, albeit on a lower trajectory.  I believe he has a ball flight and distance that is similar to the pros.  He was hitting his 7i 180 to my 160 and I witnessed him outdrive me by 10 yards despite playing from the tips while I played from the blues (back tee).  It was remarkable, and I think most people would be shocked to see him drive/hit the ball in person and realize that not even his drives were going 330 (more like 295-305).  It was unlike anything I had ever seen in person, although I should admit that I haven't seen any pros hit in person.

Note: This thread is 803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!