IGNORED

I didn't get the memo - "To Game"

Randy4h
Note: This thread is 5147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Reading through these threads, I see most everyone "games" their clubs or "games" their ball. Last I checked, "game" was a noun. Did I miss the memo making it now a verb?

I think I am out of touch, since I only "play" or "swing" a club or "use" or "hit" the ball? Maybe I should say I "game golf"?

Sorry. Just a pet peeve.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

HAHA!!! I actually have to agree with you on this one. I never heard the whole 'gaming' thing until I joined this site. It sounds too much like golfers trying to make our sport sound a lot more 'tough' than it really is........

What's in my bag:
Superquad Driver
19* and 22* Rescue Hybrids
4-PW MP 57 Irons
CG14 52* Gap Wedge CG12 56* SW CG12 60* Lob Wedge CO3-hI push them around with my Linksmen X-7 cart.

I game the Callaway IX balls, sport a Titleist visor, and rock Bridgestone irons.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

what you play with vs what you have/collect? I have 3 or 4 sets of irons, but Im currently using a speciific set. the other 3 I have, but Im gaming the 4th... I recognize its arbitrary semantics, but pointed nonetheless.

What I play:

R7 Limited, UST V2
Burner 3W, Rifle ULF
Tour 3H-4H, Rifle ULF RAC MB 5-PW, Rifle ULF 54*, 58*, TP Smoke wedges Black Pearl Studio Select 1.5 ProV1 or TP Red LDP

Surprisingly, I don't have a problem with the use of the word "game" as a verb, or describing a club that you use rather than just a club that you have as a "gamer," as was said above.

I say surprisingly because the use of the word "golf" as a verb annoys me to no end. "How did you golf today" is like nails on a chalkboard to me, as is "I golfed a 95 today" and "let's go golf." I understand that it is actually an acceptable use of the word, but for some reason it just kills me. I don't golf, I play golf... just like Lebron James doesn't basketball, he plays basketball.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with the post above that describes this purely as semantics that is completely irrelevant. Talk the way you want to talk, use the words you want to use. There will always be somebody who dislikes what you have to say or how you say it, for whatever reason.
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

Just a different manner of speaking. No reason to get annoyed, IMO. I don't say "game" as a verb, but I look at it like if someone said "toss me a beer". I probably wouldn't actually throw a glass bottle of beer at them, I'd hand them one. It's just the way people are in the habit of speaking.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

Typical uppity Husky Fan complaining about how people talk. J/K of course. But seriously I would never say "game" in face to face conversation, but I've probably said it here somewhere.

BTW.........Huck the Fuskies......Go Cougs!!

I too have been confused by this, i have been playing golf for 15 years, and the only term i know is "gamer" or someone who it pretty good!

909D2 - 10.5º
909 F2 3 wood15º
AP 2 3-PW PX 5.5
52º Black Nickle and 60º oil can Both Spin Milled
reg 588 56º White Ice Rossie Z Star Tour YELLOWSG3

I don't really have a problem with it. It's kinda like Google and how a lot of people, when they're looking for something on the Internet say "I'll Google that real quick," even though Google is a proper noun. I don't really see any harm in it, but I also know what it's like to have weird things as pet peeves.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

thanks for posting this. i also think this is ridiculous sounding and everyone who says that they are currently "gaming" whatever club should be ashamed of themselves. but thats just me...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It doesn't really bother me. Not as much as an athlete saying he/she is trying to "medal" or "podium". The way a lot of golfers seem to ignore adverbs does, however, bug me -

I hit the ball awesome.
I'm hitting it fantastic.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What can I say --- it was raining earlier this morning, so I couldn't get out. Ended up on the SandTrap. Or should I say I was "Sandtrapping". But all is well. The rain stopped so I went over the course. I couldn't get on because of a tournament so I "ranged" a few balls. After that, I needed some short game practice, so I "greened" some chips and putts.

Hey, maybe this will catch on!

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I don't have a problem with verbing nouns in general, but that one in particular strikes me as pretentious or something (that's not quite it, but I can't think of a better word at the moment). It's like nails on the chalkboard.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I don't really have a problem with it. It's kinda like Google and how a lot of people, when they're looking for something on the Internet say "I'll Google that real quick," even though Google is a proper noun. I don't really see any harm in it, but I also know what it's like to have weird things as pet peeves.

Actually, "to Google" is a real word. It was added by one (maybe more since) of the major dictionary manufacturers several years ago. Unfortunately, this has started to appear using the names of other websites, like "let me YouTube that."

I never really say "to Game," but I learned it by reading the comments on the slideshows on ScottyCameron.com. He always says "this is a famous Tour Pro's gamer" or "this his his backup, his gamer has a different finish" or something like that.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Reading through these threads, I see most everyone "games" their clubs or "games" their ball. Last I checked, "game" was a noun. Did I miss the memo making it now a verb?

I've read it here very infrequently. I think I used it myself a couple times, after reading posts on the Golfwrx site - I recall making the same comment on the Golfwrx forum. I wondered if you needed to reach a certain handicap to be "gaming" your clubs versus using them.

Now if I was to use the term, it would be to differentiate between the clubs currently in the bag versus the ones in the basement that I'll use another day. My gamers. Like "stoked", I would never use this term in conversation. BTW, I don't play my irons - they make beautiful music, but they're not a musical instruments. I use them.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Actually, "to Google" is a real word. It was added by one (maybe more since) of the major dictionary manufacturers several years ago. Unfortunately, this has started to appear using the names of other websites, like "let me YouTube that."

Wasn't aware of that, but still, how did it originate? As a noun, then someone decided to ummm "verb" it

Ya know, that just sounds kinda dirty...

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Note: This thread is 5147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!