IGNORED

Playing with a golf cart

Gareth
Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Where I live a lot of courses don't let you walk on weekends. One of the nicer courses near me you couldn't because of the lay out. I like to walk and I do every time it's possible. The one huge thing I think that's being left out is the fact that on the weekends most courses around me charge the same if you walk or ride. I think this plays a big factor into why so many people ride. I'm not sure I argue with people who ride instead of walking when either way they paid for it. If courses charged 10 dollars less to walk I think you would see a ton of people walking. I'm actually surprised with the economy more courses aren't offering a lower rate to walk but that's maryland for you. Funny thing is half the time I have to ride I end up walking more of the course than riding.
Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can carry many more drinks in a cart compared to walking.

Ah yes...very true.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I play at 6:30 AM on the weekends so it's easy to walk as you don't get too hot. If I'm playing mid-day in a HOT area then I'll ride.

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

My course allows members to walk, but requires "tourists" to ride. If I was required to use a cart, I would probably play a different course.

When I came to Florida two years ago, I think I was the first member to walk year-round. Everyone thought I was crazy (maybe they still do), but I have now brought 5 or 6 others into the walking fold, and we have a game every weekend, all walkers. We generally have to wait for the cart group ahead of us. (Carts definitely do not speed up play if people are ready to play when it is their turn). There are three long walks between greens and tees, but our foursome can get around in 4:10.

Some may argue the point, but I feel there are two games: golf and cart golf. One requires some amount of physical stamina to play at a high level, the other allows you to carry more beverages.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

Walking Pros: easier to hit on the cart girl, plan ahead your next shot

Walking Cons: swamp ass, tough to drink

Riding Pros: Easier to drink your beer

Riding Cons: having a terrible driver isn't fun

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

The game is a completely different experience, and one, I'd hope, that you'd find for the better!

i agree, it's a much better experience while walking. you just get a better feel for your round when you walk. i prefer to walk, unfortunately i don't get that opportunity down here that often. most courses don't allow it and some would be next to impossible, just ridiculous terrain for walking.

callaway.gif FT-i 9*
nike.gif CPR Hybrid 18*
titleist.gif 735cm 3-PW
nike.gif SV 56*, 60*
odyssey.gif White Hot #8 

300lbs
bad knee
stenosis of the spine
love go carts

Have you seen my bag!!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

There are three long walks between greens and tees, but our foursome can get around in 4:10.

I don't know how long these 3 long walks between tees are, but if yall are getting around in 4:10 and waiting on cart groups, I don't think I could play there and keep my sanity. 4+ hours is a long time for me to play. I'm usually in the 3:00 range.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

I prefer to walk.

Of the 30 times I played last year, I only took a cart twice. One was in a scramble, the other was because the course had a really good special so it was chearper than walking.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I prefer to walk, and do roughly half the time. However, I have a crap knee in need of some repair so I -really- pay for it toward the end of a round when I do walk so I try to have some mercy on myself every other trip out.

Currently in my bag:  Under Revision

I use a pull cart. Hate driving a golf cart though. It's fun, but too cumbersome when playing a round imo.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

I actually enjoy both for different reasons. When I take clients I have to use a cart. I relax a little more and dont think too much about my game. When I play with friends I walk and usually do quite a bit better

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

I don't know how long these 3 long walks between tees are, but if yall are getting around in 4:10 and waiting on cart groups, I don't think I could play there and keep my sanity. 4+ hours is a long time for me to play. I'm usually in the 3:00 range.

The 3 walks are over 300 yards each, plus a couple of others over 250 yards, per Google Earth. Out of curiosity, I laid out our path on Google Earth from #1 tee through 18 holes and back to the start. Going through the center of the fairways (no wayward shots into the rough) I came up with 10,252 yards, 5.83 miles. We normally play from the blues, at around 6900 yards. So there's an additional 3300 yards of non-golf walking. A foursome covering that distance in just over 4 hours is doing OK. When it's just a twosome, we can hit about 3:30.

Not sure how a foursome could cover that in 3 hours walking. If you can, that's great!

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

when i golf out of town yes...at my home course i mostly walk...depending on what everyone else in the group is doing though

Superlight Stand Bag
909D2 9.5° Diamana S
909F2 15.5° Diamana S
909F2 18.5° Diamana S
AP2 Project X 5.5 3-PW Vokey Spin Milled 52° 56° 60° Studio Select Newport 2 Pro V1Home Course - http://www.huronoaks.com (Home of Mike Weir)

I prefer to walk, but I do use a cart occasionally, particularly when my daughter wants to go with. She has Downs Syndrome and enjoys driving me around. I Love it ... she tells me "Good Shot" no matter how I hit it, and every time I reach for the driver she says "Go Big Dog!"

That is awesome you made my night DOG!!!!!!

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Here in the baking heat of the Phoenix metro area, they encourage cart use on most courses, and it is difficult to warrant walking when there is no discount rate for it. In the name affordability, one like me who does not have a lawyer, doctor, or banker salary must wait out the higher rates now for the summer of more open courses and lower fees. And in the name of death prevention, when it says 108, walking is a horrible option for myself trying to carry enough gatorades/water/energy bars at just a tad over 150 lbs.

I used to walk on the muni's around here where there was a discount - but I found I generally was jogging around (with a pull cart!) trying to keep up with the majority of the other players who prefer a cart. Oh, don't go fitness with me here....I consider myself a workout maniac who has this golfing problem. Too bad my knees after 26 years of 25-30 mi/week are starting to scream, but what I like is to follow my solo round out on the cart (in which I can complete in about 3 hrs.) with a nice evening run along the canal or stretch out on my weight machine.

I do agree walking is better for mental parts and a nicer time. But around these desert realms, we see mostly carts with less of them during the summer inferno - and the hotter it is, the more greens and fairways are left for me!

In My Orlimar Arctic Cart Bag: (A Desert Survival tool)
Driver:MP-600 10.5 Fujikara 360 S
3w:2009 17 deg. Launcher Fujikara Gold R
Hybrids:MX-700 17 deg. Exsar FS4 R, G-10 21 deg. UST V-2 R
Irons: 5-pw MP-32 True Temper R300Chipper/wedge: 37 deg. IDEA A3OS ChipperGW:MP-t10 Black Satin 52.07SW: V...

I don't know what state ya'll live in, but the majority of courses that have any yardage to them is almost 100% carts! Typically, when there are walkers in front of us, unless they are accurate ball strikers, they make life miserable for golfers behind them. It's a lot faster to get to an errant tee shot with a cart than it is to have a guy walking to it. On the other hand, I have seen walkers that move along pretty fast..but they were gamers. With that said...I rarely see them on west central florida golf courses, unless its a short municipal par 60 or 62.

Tools of my game:
Burner 09' Driver 10.5 Reg flex
5-pw G10's/ plus Taylormade R7 4 iron
Burner 08' 4 Hybrid
A70S 3 Hybrid Burner 09' 3 wood "Zing" SW 56 degree Fastback Laser range finder / plus Skycaddie SG5...also a great ball retriever!!

I dont play with a cart unless i have to. I cant see one positive to using one unless youre a senior or disabled.

you are up till 3 in the morning every Thursday night drinking and playing cards with the poker group, you then go to work at 7 like typical the next morning and you have a standing friday 12 pm T time with your regular 4-some...riding is good.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 5128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!