IGNORED

Golfing & Cigars

Colinb913
Note: This thread is 4718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a avid golfer, and cigar smoker. The two didn't go together since yesterday, but I was playing alone. I wasn't with anyone, so I didn't feel bad about lighting up. I ashed on the cart path, or into the rough and stepped it out, never on the fairway or greens. Anyways, what do you guys think about cigars and golfing?

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

I don't mind it. At least it doesn't smell as bad as cigarettes.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cigarettes are disgusting, and I will never touch them.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's
2i Hybrid 3i Hybrid 55* Wedge 60* Wedge PutterWhen Tiger puts spin on the ball, the ball does not hit the green and then spin back, the ball hits the green and the world spins forward.

Looks much better to smoke cigars than fags.
They last longer too so there'll be less buts left around the place

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I smoke ciggs, not cigars, but there about the same in my world. I got no issues with smoking on the course, since we play outdoors there really shouldnt be an issue with it. Even if a freak breeze blew my cloud to your area, it's certainly no worse than breathing exhaust fumes from all the traffic surrounding the course (not to mention the golf cart its self) , or the smoke stacks bellting out who knows what from all the factories. I dispose of them properly (never in a fairway or on a green), so I say it's all good!

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

I smoke ciggs, not cigars, but there about the same in my world. I got no issues with smoking on the course, since we play outdoors there really shouldnt be an issue with it. Even if a freak breeze blew my cloud to your area, it's certainly no worse than breathing exhaust fumes from all the traffic surrounding the course (not to mention the golf cart its self) , or the smoke stacks bellting out who knows what from all the factories. I

that's the problem with smoking on the course, most people throw them where they finish them.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I usually burn down to a nub, and then rub them against the cart wheel, and flick them into the woods, or keep them with me until the end of the game.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's

that's the problem with smoking on the course, most people throw them where they finish them.

I do agree with you there, some people are litter bugs, or just plain lazy. As for me,Ive always have the habit of pinchin' the cherry off, and squishing the butt and placing it in my pocket till I get to a trash can

In my bag, I carry
Karsten 7* IST 3wood 1200LT 5wood
MP-14 3i-PW
MP-Tseries 56-10 RawHaze
Golfsmith Attack 60-10 DeepRed Fluid Feel putter w/fatshaft proV1's when I can afford 'emCourses I love to play: http://pebblecreekgolf.org/ http://www.byronhills.com/ http://www.golfmohr.com/http://ww.....

As an ex smoker I don't mind people smoking on the course or even on the cart with me as long as they don't leave the cigarette burning away ON THE CART leaving burn marks on the seat or on the paintwork.

I played with a guy the other week who smoked the huge cigars, as we were playing he would stand there behind the ball lining up his shot and the lay the cigar down on the fairway on his intended line of the shot, after the second or third hole I realised what he was doing and called him on it telling him that he cannot use a training aid during a round, he saiid it was not a training aid it was merely a cigar and he was not using it to line himself up, the other two guys in the fourball agreed with me, I still beat him and I did report him to the league chairman and he said he would look into it, I won't hold my breath on that one !!

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Haha, that is a sneaky way to cheat!! But I usually leave mine sitting on the floor of the cart, and have the ash hanging off the side. Or on the fairway behind me.

Live, Breath, Golf.
My Home
FT-3 8.5* Driver
X22's

Personally I don't care for smoking in any form. In this enlightened age, I simply don't get why anyone would even start smoking, or keep it up after reaching the age of reason (mid 20's at the latest). I especially deplore the fact the cigar smoking has somehow become associated with golf. It spoils the whole sunshine and fresh air theme when someone has to fire up a stogie upwind from me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't consider myself a smoker, but I've smoke a few cigars over the years and used to smoke a pipe (for a couple years in the late 80's).

I could be in the minority here, but a good cigar (could be a Colt, a Captain Black or a Cohiba - it's personal preference) and a flask of single malt shared with friends goes well with the smell of leaves turning colour (they do have a distinct odour) in the fall. It reminds me of the last few rounds of the season, the World Series, the start of hockey season. Aaah - good times.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Personally I don't care for smoking in any form. In this enlightened age, I simply don't get why anyone would even start smoking, or keep it up after reaching the age of reason (mid 20's at the latest). I especially deplore the fact the cigar smoking has somehow become associated with golf. It spoils the whole sunshine and fresh air theme when someone has to fire up a stogie upwind from me.

Well it could be argued that a cigar (natural tobacco leaves) is as or more natural than the golf course it's being smoked on, and thus the perfect compliment to a round of golf.

I've also found that cigars don't have the addictive quality of cigarettes (as in added chemicals), and I never even think about smoking them off the course. So enjoying the occasional cigar is not the same as "starting smoking".

I don't mind anyone smoking while I'm playing,whether it be a cigar or a cigarette.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

Well it could be argued that a cigar (natural tobacco leaves) is as or more natural than the golf course it's being smoked on, and thus the perfect compliment to a round of golf.

The golf course also smells of natural growing things, while a cigar smells like smouldering dogshit. And it can be smelled for 100 yards or more downwind. I'm biased because I am an ex-smoker, and I couldn't stand the smell of cigar smoke even when I smoked, so I react even more strongly to it now. I'll ride with someone smoking a cigarette, but not with a cigar smoker.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't mind anyone smoking while I'm playing,whether it be a cigar or a cigarette.

I agree. I hate seeing butts laying on the course but as long as you clean up after yourself, I could care less. I enjoy a smoke now and then myself and while agree with a couple of comments about them not being the best thing for your body, there are other things in life just as deadly if not deadlier. Smoke em if you've got em!

I enjoy cigars during a round or even better with a nice bourbon. It doesn't bother me when people smoke cigs or cigars during a round. If I'm riding, I do as my playing partner if a cigar would bother them. I believe that's respectful. I'm very sensitive to ashes on the green. That drives me crazy.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

not a fan of smoking in any way shape or form - i think its disgusting
but hey, I dont make the rules on the course so what can i do???

if you properly dispose of the remains, then its whatever
leave ur butts on the green or in the fwy...and we have issues
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Note: This thread is 4718 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!