IGNORED

250 yards is a respectable carry distance

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When you think about the average distances an amateur can hit it, it makes you appreciate what guys like Alvaro Quiros and Bubba Watson can do even more.To be able hit it 320/330/340 is just ridiculous and a testiment to their strenght and technique.My good drives go roughly 230-240, which I'm delighted with considering I live in cold, wet, soggy Ireland.I can't understand the need to exaggerate drives, personally.Are people's ego's and self confidence that fragile?Anyone in the know would realise you're talking complete bull**** and you'd end up making a fool of yourself in the long run anyway.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Overestimating distance is a pretty easy thing to do. Last year, I smashed a drive and everyone in my foursome thought I hit it 300 yards. "Wow a 300 yard drive," or "damn that had to be close to 300," etc.

Well, when I got home, google earth confirmed the distance for me: 240 yards.

Whoops.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm a horrible golfer, but used to care more about getting way out there off the tee more than anything else (common beginner attitude, I guess). I also picked up a GPS and started measuring my shots, and tracking distances on each club. I have hit exactly 2 drives over 300 yards in the past year. Both were on the same hole, downhill with a hard fairway. Since I've been tracking the distances, I've also started worrying more about putting it in a nice, playable spot from the fairway, instead of just jacking it out there though. It's been an eye opener to say the least. My average right now is 215 yards, that includes all of the horrible shots added in, so counting drives that actually get off the ground, I would say 240 is about my distance.

Last weekend, I completely hammered a ball down the center of the fairway. I was elated, it was the best drive I had hit all day. Outdrove everyone else by 20 yards. I went to measure it, and it was an uphill drive to a plateau with a nice approach shot, and got my heart broken. Measured out 210 yards....I was crushed. But it was uphill.........lol

250 carry is very respectable. Its above average i would say. If you can carry a driver 250 and get 10-15 yards of roll out afterwards you can play any lenth of golf course. 260-270 off the tee is all you really need.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

If you can FLY it 250 you are a long player. On summer days your good ones will go 270 280. I hit a career driver on a 390 yard hole and had 110 to a front flage in where I could see the pitch mark in front of the ball. It was down-hill down wind 55 degrees.

250 in the air is a big hit. You can play with anyone if you can do that consistantly.

Brian

If you can FLY it 250 you are a long player. On summer days your good ones will go 270 280. I hit a career driver on a 390 yard hole and had 110 to a front flage in where I could see the pitch mark in front of the ball. It was down-hill down wind 55 degrees.

+1 If you really carry 250, stop right there and work on something else. You'll never need more than that.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i believe most people overestimate their distance because they're only measuring their best shots. if somebody crushes one down the middle they'll measure it at, say 260/270, and from that point on call that their driving distance. in reality, their average distance is closer to 230 or 240 yards. people do this with irons as well, that's why most people come up short. they hit one perfect 8 iron 160 yards to the center of the green and think that every 8 iron will go 160.

i play in a lot of charity tournaments and win long drive 50% of the time. People think i'm consistently hitting the the ball 300+, but usually 275/280 gets the job done. i've hit my fair share of balls over 300 yards, but don't consider that anywhere near my average. there's a lake at my local course that is exactly 265 yards carry to an adjacent tee box. I always try and make it from one tee box to the other, and do so 1 out of 3 times. my claim to fame is: a long drive down the middle leaving <100 yards to the green then proceeding to leave it short. definitely need to work on the wedge play this year.

Driver: Titleist 909 D2 9.5*
Fairway: Wood Nike Sasquatch 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 585 21*
Irons: AP2 4 - PW
Wedges: Scratch 53* 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood

I think most of us actually think we hit it further than it actually is. I crushed a drive this past Saturday. My partner said you hit that about 275. I knew that would be a long hit for me. So I measured using the yardage markers. I hit it an honest 235. I usually hit about 220 or 225. But then again I'm old.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Longer distance has to be combined with some kind of accuracy. I've got a buddy of mine who consistently drives 20-30 yards more than I do. Where I hit 60% of my FW, he only hits say 30%. If we play a wide open course, I have a hard time beating him. He plays a lot from the adjacent FW. However, if we play a tight course that punishes wild drives. I can beat him handily.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I agree completely, if you're flying it 250, definitely a long hitter. I rarely see what the ball does after landing from a tee shot, but I'd figure 265 wouldn't be out of the norm with rollout, that's solid.

I've been playing a lot of golf and have joined a small league, 265 will easily put you in the hunt on long drive holes from what I've seen.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

As a high handicapper, this is encouraging to hear. Last summer I was working on my driving consistently (for the first time ever) and at the peek I was hitting my no-name-brand 3-wood 210 yards plus roll 1 out of 4 times, and averaging about 190 yards. (The range I hit at had 50% used balls with a range strip painted on them, so they were mostly normal balls.) Not impressive, but I was pleased with myself. I just couldn't imagine switching to a driver, even a good driver, and gaining an average of more than 20, maybe 30, yards on equally good hits. I know I don't have a fast of swing, but hearing from people with 15 - 20 handicaps claiming to hit the ball 250 on average made me feel that attaining a 20 HCP was a looong way off for me.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

If I could get my drives to consistently end at 250 with the occasional 250 carry I would be very happy.
  • Upvote 1

In my KZG Stand Bag:
919THI 11* w/ OBAN Revenge 6 (S)
919THI 16.5* w/ OBAN Revenge 7 (S)
KZG 18* & 22* U Iron w/ Matrix Studio 84 (S)
KZG 5-PW Cavity Back Forged III w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)KZG Forged TRS 50*, 54*, 58* w/ N.S. Pro 1050 GH (S)Kirk Currie/Wright San Saba 33" e7 or TriSpeed uProMy...

. . . hearing from people with 15 - 20 handicaps claiming to hit the ball 250 on average made me feel that attaining a 20 HCP was a looong way off for me.

Over the years, I've been schooled a few times by people who were "away" on all the par 4s and 5s, and took at least one more club on every par 3. It's who's away on the green that's important - and still being away after your first putt is a downer too. Be consistent at whatever length you are, that is the key.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

250 is a big carry.....consistent 250 ball flight with control....that's like heaven

I have actually met quite a few high cappers that can fly the ball 300...usually it's a bigger guy that loves John Daly.....granted, they only hit the fairway about 3 times a round, but when they catch one, holy crap.....early in the season, my better drives are 230+ and straight.....late in the season, my good drives are 260+......don't know if that has more to do with practice/form, the warm air, or the hardness of the fairway

I finally invested in a GPS system late last season and I used it to measure each of my drives. I then logged them on the scorecard. For the three rounds I logged, my driver averaged 210 yards, 210 yard and 234 yards. Now... on the holes I hit the fairway, that was a lot better, but... I didn't hit the fairway very often. Below are the listed yardages on holes I hit the fairway for those three rounds:

249 - 245 - 250
219 - 247 - 257 - 238
197 - 260

Those were using the GolfLogix GPS on iPhone. It claims to be accurate to within 3-5 yards... but I tend to think there's about a 10-15 yard give or take with it... but even still - I think those are decent pokes. However, those are the balls that found the fairway, which means they were hit well (or well enough not to find the woods or water).

Also, those three rounds were the first three in which I used a new driver. I'd been using a TaylorMade R540 for about 5 years and last year, I purchased a Cleveland HiBORE XLS. I'd say there is a yardage difference of almost 20 yards between the two clubs.

Also... this was in late August with dried out fairways. The carry on each of those shots was probably 20 yards less than the actual measured distance.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

250 yards is pretty long.

I hit the ball 200-210 metres and that's around 230-240 yards.

Distance doesn't really matter as long as you hit shots on target

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I would say about 99% of golfers overestimate their distance. Google Earth's range measurement tool is very accurate, usually within one yard.

Of course you are right. My regular group laughs because I know better how far they carry a club, especially after adjustments for conditons, then they do. Because of this several of them have asked me to caddy for them, I only agree to do it if they make the championship. I max my swing speed out at 95, average 92, carry the ball 220 max. You wouldn't believe the number of times I have been told I must average 260. I probably only hit 1/2 dozen drives over 250 all last year. Everyone forgets to adjust of weather, firm fairways, elevation etc. PGA tour average carry range is 260-270, the number of guys on tour who can consistently carry the ball over 300 yards is probably 25 or less.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

...the number of guys on tour who can consistently carry the ball over 300 yards is probably 25 or less.

Because they choose to. I promise you many more can average over 300+ if they wanted. Problem is most can't average 300+ and consistently score well on PGA courses. Especially with the new groove rules this year.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!