IGNORED

Who Does Augusta National Pair up with Tiger?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most of the posts thus far are about making sure that Tiger's comfortable, and I find that rather surprising given the background. My greater concern would be for them to choose people whose games won't be unhinged by the inevitable atmosphere. After all, it's their Masters, too. I'm less concerned about Augusta National being fair to Tiger than being fair to those players.

That's why I think the grouping will ultimately be Tiger-Past Champion-International Veteran.

Once past champions reach a certain age, they take on the role of goodwill ambassadors for the tournament, being walking examples of the Masters legacy and showing first-timers the ropes. I don't see the primarily ceremonial over-50 champions (Crenshaw, Floyd, Mize, Stadler) stepping away from that role to struggle to break 80 in Tiger's shadow. Watson would usually be in this group, but Turnberry has raised the stakes for him, and he will be in a featured group whether or not Tiger's in it. Likewise, I can't picture any of the three European champions playing next to Tiger, even though Langer, Lyle, and Woosnam are all there to play first and fraternize second. That leaves one of Couples, O'Meara, or Watson. Pairing with a still-very-popular Couples would quell concerns about heckling and unruly behavior within the galleries following Tiger's group; pairing with an old friend like O'Meara would make Tiger most at ease at his first tournament back; and pairing with Watson would give the press something better to write than tabloid front-page rehashes. The third player shouldn't be one of the young guns: the pressure the comparisons could have negative consequences for the likes of Kim, McIlroy, or Ishikawa, who were well-suited playing with each other during the first two rounds of last year's Masters. Because Tiger and the three most-likely past champions are all American, the organizers would most likely choose an international player to round out the group. To allow for as many TV-and-gallery-friendly groups as possible, and not to place prospective contenders at a disadvantage by being thrust in the middle of Tigermania, major winners and top-10/20 players will likely be placed in other groups. Those criteria produce a roster that includes Clark, Donald, Jimenez, Karlsson, and Scott, who have all claimed top-10 finishes at the Masters.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd need to win in the next three weeks to qualify; he's too far back in the world rankings (98th) to get in on points. J.B. Holmes, on the other hand, is 56th in the world, and another top-10 would probably bump him into the top 50 and exemption. I don't know what Tiger's opinion of him is, though.

Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

8:20 1st Tee:

Nah, they'd never stick it to Double-D like that.

I'll guess Larry Mize and British Amateur Champion Matteo Manessero.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Rocco Mediate and Ian Poulter

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

why not stick him with someone with the Ian Poulter complex. That would be fun to watch. All BS aside, I don't think Tiger should receive any special treatment, in any way. Just get his ass out there, take what he has coming, and play golf.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

why not stick him with someone with the Ian Poulter complex. That would be fun to watch. All BS aside, I don't think Tiger should receive any special treatment, in any way. Just get his ass out there, take what he has coming, and play golf.

Tiger, Ian Poulter, Rory Sabbatini. Fireworks will launch over Augusta National in the mid-afternoon!

Tiger, Ian Poulter, Rory Sabbatini. Fireworks will launch over Augusta National in the mid-afternoon!

lol... i can see it now, ''this just in...fight breaks out at augusta national, it seems that tiger woods and ian poulter have put their animosity aside and teamed together in equal loathing of rory sabbatini, in which they attempted to drown him in ray's creek... more to come at 10.''

seriously though, i think brandt snedecker and alvaro quiros would be a good 3 some. although, i'd love to see tiger, alvaro, and bubba watson/bj holmes.

Pinch me... 'cuz I'm dreaming: John Daly (for contrast) or Tim Finchem (as a PGA legal-beagle umbrella).
Tools: Vector 370cc 9° w/GD YS-6 (S) @ 46" or SnakeEyes Elasteel 230cc 10° w/UST ProForce 65 (R) @ 46" / 3W: SnakeEyes Elasteel w/UST ProForce 75 (R) / UW: Dynacraft HyperSteel 16° w/Mercury Pro-Kevlar (R) / 4W-7W: Dynacraft LCG 16°-24° w/Rifle Ti-Bore (R) / 5i-Pw: GolfSmith Elasteel cavity...

I think it will be Stricker and then a lesser known player for the 3rd.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

It has to be Mark O'Meara or Steve Stricker. O'Meara and Tiger are good friends and he really dosen't have a real chance to win. Stricker maybe.....he plays well with Tiger and also is good friends with Tiger. It wouldn't be fair to put a real contender with Tiger the first two days. The overwhelming media presents would have most guys screwed up in the head!! O'Meara really makes the most since to me.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

I think you guys are thinking about this wrong. Every is saying people that Tiger would like to play with. I think the Masters will call around and ask players who wont mind the drama and crowd that they are gonna deal with. Rather than who is friends with Tiger. Just my opinion.

In my Ogio Budlight Bag
Taylormade R11 Driver | Big Bertha Diablo 3W | Tight Lies 5W & 7W |
Big Bertha Diablo 24 degree hybrid | Slingshot 4D 5-PW, AW Irons | SV Tour 56* wedge |
Detour Newport 2 | Noodle Ball | Golf Logix GPS

If I was already an established name, perhaps capable of winning, I would never want to be playing with tiger. He is going to turn the masters into a freaking circus. However if I was an unknown "ghost" in the field, I would want the attention to get my name out.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its too bad Jack and Arnie are both retired, that would have been interesting, either of those or even Gary Player who i think did play in last years Masters at 73 years old I believe, didnt make the cut but impressive nonetheless. Maybe someone like Lucas Glover or Stewart Cink, both of which have won majors since Tiger last won one I think would get Tiger fired up. Y.E. Yang would be another interesting one, though him beating Tiger head to head probably a one time thing. Ernie Els would be another good one. Someone mentioned Daly but I think he wont qualify.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Why should Tiger be given comfortable pairings like Mark O' Meara and other players he's close to?

I don't understand that way of thinking.You'd swear he's just been through some traumatic experience and needs someone to hold his hand on his first round back.Remember, he brought all his troubles on himself.He should be paired with whoever the Masters see fit to pair him with and like it.

Besides, it's Tiger.I doubt he'll need or want any comfortable pairings like that.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Note: This thread is 5138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!