IGNORED

Anybody play a 2 iron?

James_Black
Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

33 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I bought one last month and getting used to it. Have had only one round with it so far. It was handy on some of the shorter par 4s on my course. I still curve it a bit right (stark contrast to my 17 deg hybrid which is hook prone) but that will straighten out with some net  time in my backyard. Itwill become my 210-215 club and make me a bit more brave on 2nd shots on par 5s. The steel shaft is the difference IMO compared to the graphite hybrids. 

It is a beautiful club. The only thing I guess I don't like is that it is a bit clunky feeling compared to my Adams CMBs but I believe that is me still getting used to the strike feels of this club. 

I actually have a steelfiber shaft in mine. They have a different feel from a hybrid, I don't especially like to hit mine from the fairway.

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Used to have that problem with hybrids too. But titleist has really done well over the years to address that problem in their models for better players. 

I have tried everything, including the new Titleist hybrids. I still have a left miss. It's me thats the issue, I'm sure, but I don't have that problem with any of my other clubs.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

I actually have a steelfiber shaft in mine. They have a different feel from a hybrid, I don't especially like to hit mine from the fairway.

I believe the feel might be attributed to a lighter toe weight distribution than a regular iron- i.e. toe turns over rather easily compared to a regular iron. 

Vishal S.

I just put a P790 "3" iron in my bag which replaced my hybrid.

I custom ordered it 1 degree stronger so it is now 18 degrees, and an inch longer steel shaft, so more or less a 2 iron. 

I used it yesterday for the first time on the course and plan to use on short par 4s. It was going about 225 off the tee, but I think I was teeing it up too high and it might have been spinning up and ballooning just a bit instead of penetrating. 

I did hit one 230+ off the turf as my second shot on a par 5. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Back in 1990 I had a 2 iron as part of a set of McGregor RPM irons.  I used it fairly well it off the tee on some holes, and for punching out from under trees on occasion, but that's about it.  I've never been very proficient with the longer irons hitting from a tight lie.  Usually preferred a 4W or 5W for that.  

Now at my advanced seniority, my longest iron is a 6.  I carry a 3, 5, and 7 wood and 2 hybrids, 22° and 25°.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 3/17/2010 at 8:30 AM, James_Black said:

I was playing today and it was really windy.
I was hitting a 3i off most tees to get under the wind but on some holes it still wasn't going low enough.

I was just wondering if anybody plays a 2i when it's windy.

I’ve been in exactly the same situation as you, and felt like a driving iron was better or something.

But, I learned somewhere that you can just hit lower off the face of your driver to do the same thing. Tee up lower and come in with a zero to slightly positive AoA to keep the spin down.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Started out with both a 1i and 2i in my bag in the late 60's.  The 1i was not used except on long holes, when I could not fully have faith in my driver (in persimmon days).  Often I would drive with the 1 and hit second shots with the 2.  Then, over a move my 1 got misplaced.  I got a new set of Wilson Staff about the same time and kept the 2i to add to the set.  As it was an unbranded club, except for the number, it had a different feel and quality from the rest of the bag.  (Even had a well known pro tell me I really hit it well; but, after he swung with it, asked  "what the hell 2i is this?".)  After my 20 year break, with a need develop a new set of weapons, I have moved almost exclusively to hybrids.  As I had to start over, no muscle memory needed to be unlearned to play my hybrids.  That being said, my old 2i was such a comfort club and longer than my D at the time, I keep wondering what if I had one now...

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 2077 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!