IGNORED

Pro golfers & gyms

RichF
Note: This thread is 5129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There's about a billion fad diets and exercise programs, but people are only recently suffering from obesity. Even a hundred years ago, the idea of an obesity epidemic was silly at best. However, a hundred years ago, before modern medical science, there were 'infomercials', or peddlers selling snake oil and miracle cures for diseases like cholera and smallpox.

For every thing there is to cure, there will be someone selling a so called cure. The real answer to losing weight is discipline. I'm overweight because I ate too much and didn't exercise enough, simple. I will lose weight by eating right and exercising. There is no other way. Many people here say if you have a golf problem, go see a PGA pro. Yet, when we are overweight, you never say, "go see a registered dietitian." The American Dietetic Association has thousands of professionals who can provide a diet specifically fit for you as an individual. That's very helpful. Not everyone knows how much they need, or what they need to eat. An RD can provide you with the tools you need to lose weight. Pretty much every pro golfer has an RD they go to.

Shanks a million, speaking the truth in regards to there is no secret. I have weighted as much as 246 and I am getting ready to break the 200 mark (just weighted in at 201.8). People ask me what did you do. Umm. I dieted and exercised, risisted temptations. I don't eat a ton of carbs but I am not on a carbless diet. Something that is motivating me is competing. I won the biggest loser in my office last year going from 246 to 195. I am playing again and started at 216. This time it has been alot harder since I am closer to my natural weight. One thing that helped me is drinking two protein shakes a day between meals. I was stuck for the first month and now I lost 15 in around 36 days. I have never seen a diet person but I know people that have and I kind of stole there ideas. Here is what I eat almost everyday:

1 egg, 2 egg whites, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 piece low carb toast, 1 to 2 servings of milk (I eat this every day, missed maybe 3 days in the past 1.5 years), protein shake, banana, sandwich w/ 4 pieces of ham/turkey, 1 piece cheese, low carb bread, low carb yogurt, another protein shake, apple, around 6 OZ chicken and a can of green beans. I sometimes substutite my dinner for another sandwich or a different piece of meat. I try to eat steak once a week to get another kind of protein. I keep track of what I eat all the time and I average around 1500 calories a day and 7 hours of excercise a week.

I don't think this would be a great diet for someone with high colestrol but it is good for me.

Brian

1 egg, 2 egg whites, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 piece low carb toast, 1 to 2 servings of milk (I eat this every day, missed maybe 3 days in the past 1.5 years), protein shake, banana, sandwich w/ 4 pieces of ham/turkey, 1 piece cheese, low carb bread, low carb yogurt, another protein shake, apple, around 6 OZ chicken and a can of green beans. I sometimes substutite my dinner for another sandwich or a different piece of meat. I try to eat steak once a week to get another kind of protein. I keep track of what I eat all the time and

That seems awfully low if you are exercising that much. Was this just a short term thing or is this what you still eat every day? I don't understand how you could even gain weight at all on 1500 calories/day.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

That seems awfully low if you are exercising that much. Was this just a short term thing or is this what you still eat every day? I don't understand how you could even gain weight at all on 1500 calories/day.

Yes, for 195 lbs, that is extremely low with that level of exercise. You don't want to crash diet; you'll lose weight fast but it won't stay off, and you won't get healthier. 1800 calories is much better. The fastest a person can safely lose is about 2 lbs a week.

I don't get the confusion over weight loss. I've lost 15 lbs since march 3rd by making 4 changes: eating corn flakes for breakfast, drinking 32 oz of water before lunch, eating a sandwich and salad for lunch, and running 2 miles every day. No hard changes, yet great results. I had gained weight before then because I wasn't exercising in the winter, and I was eating too much for lunch, no big secrets.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't buy muscle confusion. I think you have to stick with a certain set and push yourself hard. Here is an article I find to be interesting about arms and how to get stronger and bigger. Not golf specific but this guy knows alot about working out.

Well, I can tell you that you are very wrong. I have a masters in Nutritional Sciences, and a bachelors in Kinesiology, the way the body responds to training and diet is my job. A workout becomes much, much less effective when your body gets used to it. On average, a professional athletes training program is changed every 6 weeks.

The average, out of shape, overweight person can make great strides doing the same workouts over and over, but this is because at that point, ANY workout will cause increased fitness and weightloss. This is not so for people who keep themselves fit, and train their whole lives. They need to shock their muscles with different exercises to keep seeing results. P90X is nothing special, its a high impact workout, that focuses on short intervals of constant movement. It is a good cardio workout, but thats the extent of it. Fitness it 85% nutrition, and 15% training. But that 15% is very important, and needs to be done correctly. Proper conditioning will help your golf game immensely. Not only does it create increased oxygenation in the blood, allowing you to tire slower, but strengthening your mucles makes them much more responsive, and allows you to feel your swing much more clearly, as the muscles are tighter with better seperation. You feel each muscle much more, allowing you to feel which ones are working through your swing.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Exclude all carbos, that alone will shift your physiology to balance the insuline levels.

Ignore this part of this mans advice completely. The worst thing you can do is give up carbs. Carbohydrates should be about 35-40% of your total diet.

The key is seperating carbs and fats in your meals, except for breakfast. Ideally you should eat 6 small meals a day if you want to lose weight. They should look like this. Breakfast: 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% omega 3, 6, and 9 fats. second meal: 70% protein, 30% fat (I prefer Flax seed oil) third meal: 70% protein, 30% fat fourth meal: 50% protein, 50% carbs. fifth meal (post workout): 50% protein, 50 percent HIGH GLYCEMIC carbs, immediately after training. Sixth Meal, 70% protein, 30 percent fats. The key is to make all carbs, except post workout, low glycemic carbs (oatmeal, whole grain breads, brown rice, sweet potatoes), and all fats should be healthy fats (Omega's). The absolute worst thing you can do to your body is stop your carb intake. Its bad for your mind, bad for your body, and bad for your weightloss goals, as the reintroduction of carbs later will cause ridiculously fast weight gain. Your body needs carbs, they are your main source of energy.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Ignore this part of this mans advice completely. The worst thing you can do is give up carbs. Carbohydrates should be about 35-40% of your total diet.

Doctor Atkins was probably one of the stupidest people in the history of nutrition. He probably also tried to make his car go faster by never putting fuel in it.

Now people listen to this "no carbs" crap, and believe it. Some people just don't have the capacity to understand that moderation is always the answer. There is no silver bullet to lose weight, it's a simple case of living healthy. I know that, my mother is an expert in the field, but I ignored it because, like all kids, I probably went against my parents. The whole western world has polluted itself with the notion that food is in overabundance. Suddenly, no longer is food a necessity for survival, but a vice, or a luxury. I was stupid enough to fall for that once, but never again.

Doctor Atkins was probably one of the stupidest people in the history of nutrition. He probably also tried to make his car go faster by never putting fuel in it.

What I cant believe, is that people with no clue whatsoever keep giving nutritional advice on the net. You are playing with a persons well being when you give advice without knowing if that advice is correct or not. Too many people spout there stupid ideas as fact. No nutritionist who takes their job seriously would EVER tell people not to eat carbs. Unless the person is ill with something like Seliac Disease, then carbs should be a staple of everyones diet. The key is choosing the correct kinds of carbohydrates.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Changing the eating to such where you exclude, rice, potato etc..allows you to retrain your insuline levels as todays food allows you to create inflamatory responses which isnt good.

You can check out, www.artdevany.com where the carbs is excluded fully and the ones you need comes from fruit and vegetables. Todays advice in how to eat is wrong, got a sister that lost 30 pounds in 3 months following this. she got more energy, feels better. Food creates responses in your body due to chemical reactions which enzymes and hormones trigger of good or bad sideeffects. Most people just eat wrong and carbos has to be excluded as they are a later addition to our cost. When one has created a better level of responses, one can eat some but should be kept to a minimum due to the inflamatory responses they create. I eat like that, and I got more energy and feel better, and I eat 75% less food now than 2 years ago and feel better. Not hungry as often, more energy, stable insuline levels and the effect are noticable what food I eat and carbs just dont work that well. so in advice, dont listen to people as yourself who dont know.

Robert Something

Well, I can tell you that you are very wrong. I have a masters in Nutritional Sciences, and a bachelors in Kinesiology, the way the body responds to training and diet is my job. A workout becomes much, much less effective when your body gets used to it. On average, a professional athletes training program is changed every 6 weeks.

I agree and the article agrees too. But if you are me, a typical non-athletic guy who could never bench his weight, never could do push ups with ease, never run 3 miles, that is how I have seen good results. I have only been working out consistantly for 4 months and I am very happy with the gains. I have increased my flat bench dumb bells from 55 in each hand now to 75s, I can dead lift with good form 200 pounds, and do 10 push ups like it is nothing. When I quit seeing gains I will change what I am doing. Now I feel healthier than every, have muscles I never knew I could develop.

Brian

I am on that diet right now to try to win money. I keep track of my calories everyday and they range from 1400-1800 a day. I feel very good. I agree you have to take in some carbs but most are empty. Whole grains, high fiber things are where the value is. I am trying to build muscle and lose weight so I am on a very protein heavy diet. I gained 15 pounds back by losing my way. My gym membership ended, I started eating bad again, and lost focus. I caught it in time so I didn't have to go back to my fat weight. The key I believe is it has to be a life style for people with fat genes like me. To lose, it takes 100% dedication, to maintain, it takes around 80%. I can cheat a bit and stay the same wieght but if I want to lose as I do now, it takes focus.

Brian

Changing the eating to such where you exclude, rice, potato etc..allows you to retrain your insuline levels as todays food allows you to create inflamatory responses which isnt good.

Please dont give anymore advice, its clear you know nothing of what your talking about. You've got a licensed Nutritionist and the son of a licensed nutritionist telling you your wrong, and your still spouting lies about no carb diets.

People, you cannot retrain your insuline levels, and any weight loss you accomplish will be negated the second you start eating carbs again. These are fad diets, and they are not healthy, no matter how much this guys sister lost. Theres a huge difference between weight loss, and healthy weight loss.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Rice isn't that bad, is it? I thought especially brown rice was actually really good for you, lots of fiber.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Please dont give anymore advice, its clear you know nothing of what your talking about. You've got a licensed Nutritionist and the son of a licensed nutritionist telling you your wrong, and your still spouting lies about no carb diets.

I have a question in regards to how to lose weight correctly. I do eat carbs but not much. I eat fruit, milk, fruit, and light bread. I have a very protein heavy diet to help build muscle. I actually see more results since I started eating a protein shakes between meals. I feel healthy and good. I don't eat junk or empty foods. I am not an expert by any means. I know what I have done to lose weight and had success. I know I can never go back to my old ways. What do you think a better approach would be?

Brian

I have a question in regards to how to lose weight correctly. I do eat carbs but not much. I eat fruit, milk, fruit, and light bread. I have a very protein heavy diet to help build muscle. I actually see more results since I started eating a protein shakes between meals. I feel healthy and good. I don't eat junk or empty foods. I am not an expert by any means. I know what I have done to lose weight and had success. I know I can never go back to my old ways. What do you think a better approach would be?

I will answer this later today, sir. Im about to go out to lunch with the wifey.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Rice isn't that bad, is it? I thought especially brown rice was actually really good for you, lots of fiber.

Brown rice is one of the best carbs you can eat.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Son of, yes, but also with college credit in nutrition. I took a few classes so I could better understand what my mother was on about. I must admit, it really was enlightening. It's a lot easier to

talk to listen to my mother give her monologues about the thyroid... ( she's obsessed with the idea of thyroid health... oy! She's got Hashimoto's. And her brother, who is a neurologist also with Hashimoto's, and his wife who is a G.P, and his daughter who is in med school at Stanford... also with Hashimoto's, they talk on the phone for hours about T3, and blah blah... )
People, you cannot retrain your insuline levels, and any weight loss you accomplish will be negated the second you start eating carbs again.

Retrain? No. Haha! Unless he started taking synthroid!

These are fad diets, and they are not healthy, no matter how much this guys sister lost. Theres a huge difference between weight loss, and healthy weight loss.

Maybe his sister lost her legs to diabetes? That's, heck, that's 40-50 lbs easy!

Note: This thread is 5129 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!