IGNORED

What tee box do you play from?

Philip9210
Note: This thread is 5037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Most courses I play the tips, but those over 7000 yards are a bit hard to swallow....I prefer between 6500 and 7000 yards....

Here is the Big Perm's Guide to proper tees (patent pending)
Shortest par 3, you should be hitting a 8-9 iron.....Longest par 3, long/mid iron or hybrid
Shortest par 4, Driver and wedge....Longest par 4, Driver and long iron/hybrid
Shortest par 5, reachable in 2 with 2 good shots.....Longest par 5, almost impossible to reach in 2

If you are hitting long irons into most par 4's, move up......if it's Driver/wedge on most par 4's, you need to move back or go on tour

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually play blue tee's regardless of the yardage. It takes alot of overexamination of the yardages out of it for me.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I change up every few rounds, it keeps me from getting too familiar with where my shots are going to be, and lets me use all my clubs. I typically hit 10 of 14 fairways, so the tee box isn't my problem in the first place, it just changes up the course.

Blues on my home course is 7001 yards, White is 6319, so there's a big difference in between them for me. I use a lot more hybrids and long irons playing from the tips, but my scores don't change drastically.

usually tips...if i'm playing with others that don't want to, blues. hardly, if ever whites.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

To everyone that is telling me that I am holding people up, I got 9 holes in yesterday(walking) in about 90mins, a little less actually. So please, don't complain to me about this. I know ready golf and I know how to play at a pace that does not hold up those behind me. I do end up catching people in front of me however which holds me up.

What kind of number are you shooting? As a single you can play bogey golf or worse and play from the tips on a decent course and not hold up play, but there is no way that a foursome of bogey or worse golfers can do it. You can count on finding a group of hacks at the forefront of any course bottle neck.

One of the responsibilities of the starter/marshall should be putting people on the appropriate tee. If someone insists on playing the back tees they should be able to play from those tees in an appropriate amount of strokes, and if they can't they should be made to move forward. I really don't get the mentality of wanting to play from the tips when you are a bogey golfer or worse? Obviously it's an ego thing, overcompensating for a lack of skill, I suppose? But what fun is that. How much fun is it to play and not be able to break a 100 even on a good day? Playing the forward tees is going to give anyone the best possible chance to shoot as low a score as possible. Do that for a while and learn how to play the game and then think about moving back. But the reality is golf is played primarily by guys and a lot of guys are all about the smack and trash talk. Not too much smack talk happening on the forward tees. As for my response to the thread question I tend to play the "white" tees. At an average decent course that puts me at 6000-6300yds.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

What kind of number are you shooting? As a single you can play bogey golf or worse and play from the tips on a decent course and not hold up play, but there is no way that a foursome of bogey or worse golfers can do it. You can count on finding a group of hacks at the forefront of any course bottle neck.

Thank you for providing a comment that doesn't directly attack me, rather it offers advice, I appreciate it. I usually shoot around 110, but I feel like I lose more strokes in my short game such as 3 putting and hitting duffs etc, which I don't see how a different tee box will fix this. However, I do sometimes play whites, it just depends who I'm with when I play. If they play whites I do, if they play blues I do. Another reason I tend to shoot high is because I don't do very well on par 3's(because of my short game). In all honesty though, thanks for a thought out reply that didn't sound like you were coming out and attacking me. For this, I have listened to your advice and will begin playing back at the whites until I pull the handicap down. Thanks!

I'm usually a blue tee player (either the tips at most 'normal' courses or one in from the tips at 'championship' venues). I tend to use rating/slope to decide which to play more than yardage, although it tends to work out to somewhere betweeen 6600 and 7000 in general.

I usually play the white tees. I'm the weakest player in my regular group, however, so every third or fourth round we'll step back to the blues (where they always play if I'm not there). Truthfully, my scores are pretty consistent from either set of tees. The lessons I'm taking are starting to pay off - 4 wood approaches are turning into 5 irons, 7 iron approaches are turning into pitching wedges. I would anticipate that I'll be seeing those blue tees fairly regularly by the end of the summer. :)

I like to play blues for the challenge, but if its with some of my friends at the course (who are all 15-25 years older than me :P-not a knock at 30-40 year olds, just I'm like one of the 5 twenty somethings there) I'll play from the whites. I feel like a dick if I tee off from the blues and everyone else is at the whites. One of my managers (scratch) tells me I should mix it up every once in a while to force me to use different strategies on a hole I generally play a certain way.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

it depends on the course... on my 2 courses I play the most... after a drive of 250 - 280, you're anywhere b/t a 7 & wedge for your 2nd shot... it's rare that I have to pull anything above a 5 iron... the only time is for a 170 par 3...which is the 2nd longest par 3...1st being 238... and I'll hit anywhere b/t a 4 - 6 iron on the 170 depending on the wind. Most courses I play are around 67 - 6800 from the black to 7000 from the tips.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

On the courses we have here it is typically the white, a that is what we play in tourneys and in leagues. If I am out for a practice round I will usually play the back tees and work on different shots for when I travel to other courses that are longer...

WITB
Driver: Ping G425 - Aldila Rogue White
3 Wood: Nike SQ Dymo 
Hybrid: TaylorMade SLDR
Irons: Ping i525 Retro Spec
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (52,56,60)
Putter: Never Compromise Gamble Limited Custom

Balls: Titleist ProV1

Depends on the yardage, rating and slope of the course.

Lightweight Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Putter (several models unfortunately)studio stock 4
AP2 Irons 4-PW
ProV1X Balls
2 and 3 TP Rescue07 Burner TP 9.560, 56, 52 CG 12 WedgesOld man CartSi vis pacem, para bellum

I go from the tips (black/gold), unless it's a PGA tour or major championship course, over 7,500 yards. In that case, blues are fine. I drive it straight, and fairly long (I use a 44" driver, so it's easy to hit a long straight ball), so it's not too much of a problem, and it gives me a decent assortment of second shots, from 3 iron to sand wedge on par 4s, and usually makes me think on par 5s.

Usually 6,600 to 6,900 yards. Gives me a 5 iron to 8 iron for 2nd shot in on most par 4's. If windy, wet etc I will adjust. High Altitude such as Paa Ko at 7,000 feet or Black Mesa at 5,500 feet I will stretch it out to 7,100+.

If course has unusually tight fairways I will play more forward tees.

I don't want to be hitting 3 woods into par 4s nor do I want all wedges into them either. My favorite rounds is where I'm required to use all the clubs in my bag.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

Thank you for providing a comment that doesn't directly attack me, rather it offers advice, I appreciate it. I usually shoot around 110, but I feel like I lose more strokes in my short game such as 3 putting and hitting duffs etc, which I don't see how a different tee box will fix this. However, I do sometimes play whites, it just depends who I'm with when I play. If they play whites I do, if they play blues I do. Another reason I tend to shoot high is because I don't do very well on par 3's(because of my short game). In all honesty though, thanks for a thought out reply that didn't sound like you were coming out and attacking me. For this, I have listened to your advice and will begin playing back at the whites until I pull the handicap down. Thanks!

And that is a great attitude. What got my dander up is that your original post tasted more like you were going to play the back tees and it didn't matter what anyone said. Since it appears that I misread it, then I apologize. But you gotta admit.... I got your attention.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To everyone that is telling me that I am holding people up, I got 9 holes in yesterday(walking) in about 90mins, a little less actually. So please, don't complain to me about this. I know ready golf and I know how to play at a pace that does not hold up those behind me. I do end up catching people in front of me however which holds me up.

I'm not going to comment on which tees you choose to play, but 9 holes in 90 minutes as a single is pretty slow. A golfer should be able to play 18 holes on a Championshiop course by themselves in about 2 hours, assuming no one in front of them.

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

And that is a great attitude. What got my dander up is that your original post tasted more like you were going to play the back tees and it didn't matter what anyone said. Since it appears that I misread it, then I apologize. But you gotta admit.... I got your attention.

True, true haha, no hard feelings man. Guess after playing the blues once or twice with some people I've never played with before (of course, I didn't want my pride to get hurt so I wasn't going to play anything closer, and found out the hard way, that it ended up being an okay round where I thought I hit the ball amazing, but I just didn't score well.) Back on topic, I now play from the whites or whatever puts me between 6100-6300 :)

Note: This thread is 5037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!