IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Sorry to even type one letter of this word, but 10 yards right on a 15 yard shot sounds like a s____.:yucky:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Sorry to even type one letter of this word, but 10 yards right on a 15 yard shot sounds like a s____.:yucky:

I just can't aim left enough. Even my pitches are ending up right. I find myself aiming right as well. Even when I correct it I still will push my pitches right to some degree. If I over correct I just hit very low long pitches. 

Something is not right with my pitching motion when I get nearer to the green. I was more accurate (degrees offline) from 50 yards than I was from 15. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think I figured out something with the putting. 

I've been gripping the putter with the left hand first and fitting the right hand on. My right hand sat a little detached off the club, and wasn't down the lifeline. When I put the club in the lifeline of my right hand and then just over lap the left it feels much more stable. 

Also being more hunched over has helped as well. 

I think with the putter more in my left hand it was unstable for the back stroke.

As for my pitching, I was looking at some video I shot inside. I noticed that I was fanning it good on the backswing, but then rerouting it steep on the downswing. I think I just have to keep it shallower. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

To start out this most pleasant post (sarcasm level 100%)

I shot a 51 tonight on a really easy course. I hit the first 3 out of 5 greens I was like 8 over through 5. Putting was horrific. My short game was horrible. Then my swing went to shit after that. 

So I went to the range and was able to prop up my phone on these nice bag holders they have that have a top shelf on them. 

Here we go, the great regression of Matt's swing.

Ok, the backswing is C+ at best. It's not the F I thought it was. Clubead passes through the hands at A2. It's not the end of the world. 

My A4 extended swing, club across the line is the end of the world. 

Again MATT for the F-TEENTH BLEEPING TIME, STOP OVERSWINGING DUMBASS

It's slightly shallow to steep in the downswing. There is just now way to swing from the inside when the club is that position at the top. The head and butt come slightly off the wall. 

I like how much more open my body is compared to what it use to be.

I worked on it a bit and got to this, 

Better backswing, I would give this a B grade. It would have been a B plus if I stopped it a tad shorter. 

This was me trying to get my arms to go more up than around.

I do not like the arm and club position at A8. The hands dive in really fast and club stays low and left. 

I am kinda fearful of swinging out more because I did this about 6 times at the range, 

That's right the dreaded S-WORD!! 

:~(:~(:~(:~(:~(:~(:~(:~(

Just to top it off here is my driver swing after I concentrated on making it shorter. 

This I hit a big pull cut that ended up curving slightly right of target. Everything feels like i am swinging left a ton. 

UGH!! 

On a good note, I think I worked out my putting. It was mostly a speed issue. I was blowing the putts 4-5 feet past all night. I went to the practice green and set up a gate drill at 6 feet. The gate was about 2.5-3 inches apart. I nailed about 25 putts in a row splitting the gate. Getting that grip secured in the crease of my right hand and using my right hand more in the putt has helped a lot. That and making the stroke a tad more wristy than just arms and turning has helped since it takes out some of the arm movement. 

I think I need to get back to really just focusing on my backswing length. Also, I need to figure out how to swing out more with out worrying about shanking it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Working on trying to feel a bit more flat/bowed left hand at A3-A4. Trying to feel the club is not going to tip right at the top. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

@iacas or @mvmac, am I standing too close to the ball. The weight too far back on my heels? I'm wondering why I looked really cramped at A7

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

@iacas or @mvmac, am I standing too close to the ball. The weight too far back on my heels? I'm wondering why I looked really cramped at A7

You don't look too cramped. You're fine.

Watch your takeaway. You keep pushing the hands up too much. They stay on the line and go in with the turn. Stop mistaking hinging the wrists and folding the elbow for making your hands go up and away from you.

In the end, you should not feel like you're swinging way left. You should be pretty close to inline. The hands can continue to go up and away from you, to "raise the handle" through impact. Your left stuff is more about your right side getting through.

And Matt, for the really tough love portion: you need to, once and for all and particularly after a long layoff, just hit the ball 30 yards. Then 40. Then 50. Do them properly and stop just making full swings at too fast a speed. This is doubly true when you're off your game. Just get back to hitting the ball solidly again, with something like the right ball flight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Watch your takeaway. You keep pushing the hands up too much. They stay on the line and go in with the turn. Stop mistaking hinging the wrists and folding the elbow for making your hands go up and away from you.

In the end, you should not feel like you're swinging way left. You should be pretty close to inline. The hands can continue to go up and away from you, to "raise the handle" through impact. Your left stuff is more about your right side getting through.

So let the turn carry the hands more and the up comes from hinge and softening the right arm. 

I've been forcing the club up with the hands, directing the club too much upward. 

I'll back off the full speed swings till I get better contact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt, for the next two weeks, here's your prescription: stop working on stuff. Play a lot of golf. If you go to the range, switch clubs frequently and do ONE thing: hit the ball solidly.

Okay, I lied: think about two things: a short backswing and solid contact.

Do not think about anything else.

Stop worrying about where your hands are going. Stop worrying about your left wrist conditions. Stop worrying about this, that, and twelve other things.

Play a lot of golf. On the course, focus on a short backswing and hitting the ball solidly toward your target. That's it.

Then come see me sometime, but if that's > 2 weeks from now, stick with this plan until we talk and change it up.

Of course, you're free to disregard this advice, but the current approach to how you're practicing and such isn't working. Let's push a reset button of sorts. Clear the mind. Let's get back to what is - for better or worse - YOUR swing right now, and then we'll be super careful to tweak from there.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Do not think about anything else.

Stop worrying about where your hands are going. Stop worrying about your left wrist conditions. Stop worrying about this, that, and twelve other things.

Play a lot of golf. On the course, focus on a short backswing and hitting the ball solidly toward your target. That's it.

Will do!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

16 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Will do!

Be the ball Danny. Be the ball.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Look at it this way - that's the most fun lesson you're every going to get :-D. Good luck buddy, I'm sure things will pick up.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

It was a struggle today. It got better as the day went on. 

I started out hitting a big pull slice. By the end I was hitting a straight fade. I'm trying to really to focus more on contact and the shorter swing. 

The big hurt was the pitching. I still struggle bottoming out to early in the pitch. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Long game, the best I've struck the ball so far this year today. short game is blah. putting, inside of 10 ft is solid. My lag putting was horrible today. 

My swing thoughts. 

Setup, make sure I'm aimed where I want. I notice I was aiming right. My swing. I just open my hips up and I stopped worrying about where the hands are moving and just focused on swing length. I was hitting a lot of good shots. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Keep it up. It's a bit of a "reset" button for you, a clearing of the mind.

Contact is good. A few occasions I blocked my irons way right.

9 out 18 GIR

37 putts

6 extra short game shots

0% scrambling 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Shot a 86, 8 GIR, 0% scrambling. I was in front of the green with some good looks at a 2-3 more GIR, but my awesome wedge game showed up. 

I didn't putt all that well. I had 36 putts. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag