IGNORED

Driving Distance

jmr
Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I average about 360-400 yds off the tee. Of course I yell "POWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" in my follow through, so I think that adds about 150 yds to my drives.

I'm sorry, but that's funny!!!

The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. -Ben Hogan

USGA compression tests are all based upon a 110 mph swing speed.........Most weekend golfers have swing speeds 80 - 95 mph......so most golfers will never get the "Trampoline Effect" on their driver face.

Distance doesn't equate to handicap.Infact I asked this question whether I could break 80,what distances would I need to hit realistically to give myself birdie and par chances.It seems you don't have to hit it far.I've had one or 2 hit it past me but they are terrible at the rest of the game.I can believe that some hit 280 with high handicaps but it's not the whole story.How many times do they do it and where does the ball land?

For me I sold my driver on ebay because I wasn't hitting it well.Different ball flights,misses left and right,I would lose 3 balls a round with the driver in my bag and I would only hit maybe 10 times.Switched to a 17" hybrid and it's almost arrow straight.Played it from the tee maybe 8-9 times this Friday and only 2 left the fairway,1 in the first cut and the other went under some trees,but managed to punch out sideways.

Some can hit it far but some of that is due to hard baked fairways in summer months,here in the UK I really struggle in the winter,a slight headwind and softer fairways I can be so much shorter.I've hit 4 pured irons and only just reached par 5's.

Master contact and forget about distance.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Distance doesn't equate to handicap.Infact I asked this question whether I could break 80,what distances would I need to hit realistically to give myself birdie and par chances.It seems you don't have to hit it far.I've had one or 2 hit it past me but they are terrible at the rest of the game.

Perhaps, but the problem is they claim that as an average. You need to make awfully good contact with a high swing speed to average 280. That's exactly what higher handicaps

can't do. To go on and on about how distance doesn't equate to handicap is one thing, but contact is another all together, and to average 280 off the tee requires phenomenal contact, something the high handicapper does not have. If they did, it would require a good swing, which would mean they could easily hit their other clubs better. Again, the moment I meet a 15 handicap who drives it 280 regularly, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

As a funny event, I did hit my opening tee shot 296 two days ago, but I'm not silly enough to call it my average haha. Then again, I'm using GolfShot GPS on my iPhone so there may be a 10-15 yd difference :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

As a funny event, I did hit my opening tee shot 296 two days ago, but I'm not silly enough to call it my average haha. Then again, I'm using GolfShot GPS on my iPhone so there may be a 10-15 yd difference :P

It probably was 296. A few courses around here have opening holes that help people get off to a good start. One type is just plain short and the other has a fairway with a slight down hill landing area from about 240 to 270, flattening out at the 150 to 100 yard mark. It's great to start a round with a 300 yard drive, a pitching wedge approach, and couple putts.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

actually I said my average was 240....

That's my average good drive.

I'd say my true average is 200-210...

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I average about 360-400 yds off the tee. Of course I yell "POWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" in my follow through, so I think that adds about 150 yds to my drives.

I seriously busted out laughing when I read this.

In my bag
Machspeed 9.5 Stiff
CrossBax 5 wood
Idea Tech 19* Hybrid
a3 22* Hybrid Slingshot 4D Graphite 5-AW Burner XD 56* & 60* Wedge Callie Putter e6+Home Course: www.dogwoodtracegolf.com

It probably was 296. A few courses around here have opening holes that help people get off to a good start. One type is just plain short and the other has a fairway with a slight down hill landing area from about 240 to 270, flattening out at the 150 to 100 yard mark. It's great to start a round with a 300 yard drive, a pitching wedge approach, and couple putts.

The story of this hole is that it's a pain in the butt lol. 8'sh years ago it used to be a short par 5, but now is a par 4, same distances. I swear I birdied it more as a par 5 than I have par'd it as a par 4. I talked to Dan (pro) about it once, and he said that despite all the complaining, playin from the red/gold/whites is in the range for a par 4, and only from the blues could it be considered a par 5 anyway. I usually hit driver->hybrid into that green, then I hit this monster drive, and almost hit it over with a 7 Iron...then 3 put for a bogey...god I love just ruining a good opportunity lol.

This year, eliminating my great ones, and some of my shanks, I'd say I average 220-240.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

On a decent drive, I carry the ball about 230 - usually with a slight draw. If my timing's off, I hit a high push or hook about 190. If I really miss one, it's ugly.

I keep getting rained out for individual 18 hole rounds - four rainouts in May so far, and I actually had time to play! These distance results are based on one 9-hole round and one scramble. In the scramble, I hit eight straight fairways in middle part of round, which is very good for me.

My current driver works fine for me. At 230 yds., I could get home in regulation on all holes from most middle tee setups I know of.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driving was never my strongest point, i would say i average between 250 and 270 depending on conditions of course. Just as well my short game is decent. I have had to work on swing alot to get some extra yards.

Callaway - FT-i I-Mix Square Driver
Callaway - FT-iZ Fairway Wood
Callaway - Diablo Edge Irons
Mizuno Golf MP T-10 White Satin Wedge
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour HybridOdyssey Golf - White Ice Teron PutterCallaway Golf - FT Tour 14-Way Golf Bag

I normally drive the ball between 280-300, It was raining a few weekends ago so i went to golf galaxy to do the ball fitting thing, and i was curios about my swing speed, i averaged around 115 MPH.

Irons X-22 Tour irons 3-PW
Driver Superfast TP
Fairway Wood Burner 3W
wedge 50 degree
wedge GS-15 56 DegreeWedge 62 degreePutter ZebraBall TP LDP Red B330 tour

Driving was never my strongest point, i would say i average between 250 and 270 depending on conditions of course. Just as well my short game is decent. I have had to work on swing alot to get some extra yards.

Then you sir are very honest with yourself and your distance, unlike a lot of people.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Between 250 and 270, and it's not your strong point? Man, we have some LONG drivers out here. Nice to know that your so called average, longer than that of many tour pros, is "not a strong suit."

I normally drive the ball between 280-300, It was raining a few weekends ago so i went to golf galaxy to do the ball fitting thing, and i was curios about my swing speed, i averaged around 115 MPH.

Um, nope. Basic calculations show that a 115 mph swing speed with a perfectly optimized driver yields a shot of 285 yards on a dry fairway. By this math, we can see that you are either A. wrong, or B. hitting the absolute center of your perfectly optimized driver every single time. Which do you think is more likely?

Ugh, I really want to take all these long hitters out for a round with a GPS and calculate their average drive. I would be willing to bet very few here even average 250. We can all hit the occasional huge shot, and we all stripe a few 280, but for the most part, we're not averaging anywhere near that. Surely all these people who hit their driver 270 have absolutely no problem hitting a 3 iron (blade) 235 yards. It's much easier than hitting a driver. Why do you think they call them chicken sticks? Anyone with a swing good enough to regularly hit a driver 300 yards will have 0 problems hitting a long iron on the center of the face.

Surely all these people who hit their driver 270 have absolutely no problem hitting a 3 iron (blade) 235 yards. It's

That's some wild shi* you just posted there - where do you come up with this stuff?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Hmm 3 wood about 250 yards, Driver somewhere around 275-285 yards.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

I normally tee off with a 8I on the par 5's it leaves with me with about 90 yards left to the green which I usually bump and run with a PW. On the par 4's I tee off with my Putter, but on short Par 3's (<300yds) I tend to fly the green even with that. Sometimes I just bend over and show the ball my ass and it guarantees me a hole in one. I don;t abuse that special gift though

Between 250 and 270, and it's not your strong point? Man, we have some LONG drivers out here. Nice to know that your so called average, longer than that of many tour pros, is "not a strong suit."

You are forgetting a lot of variables like if you are hitting from an elevated Tbox, the type of ball used, how hard and fast the fairways are and roll. And i measure my distances using GPS

Irons X-22 Tour irons 3-PW
Driver Superfast TP
Fairway Wood Burner 3W
wedge 50 degree
wedge GS-15 56 DegreeWedge 62 degreePutter ZebraBall TP LDP Red B330 tour

Note: This thread is 3158 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!