IGNORED

What beverages do you drink on the course?

golfmentalist
Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Water!!! Sometimes iced tea, or an Arnold Palmer...
No Alcohol for me, it messes up whatever little game I have. I get too relaxed and stop caring. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Usually some sort of rum and (diet) coke if I remember to bring the flask/bottle. Else, just the water available on the course or sometimes Gatorade.

Water, sports drinks... and occasionally a Bloody Mary for a morning round.

Cheers,
DoctorK

Competitive golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course... the space between your ears.
~~Bobby Jones~~

Step 1: Take a good solid drink off my double jack and diet and play my next shot.
Step 2: Repeat Step 1

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I usually freeze a few water bottles the night before... I do keep a few of those green tea citrus powder packets in the bag though....

• 2 years later...

I love to get a buzz going on the golf course, but that is not the topic haha.  I was more curious as to what you guys take to eat and drink on the golf course to keep your energy up?

Recently I have found young coconut water like O.N.E. and VitaCoCo to be my drink of choice.  The potassium in it is through the roof, as well as the other electrolytes.  As for food, cliff bars have been my go to.

I usually do not eat anything during a round except maybe a Snickers.  As for drinks, either water, Powerade, or depending on if my round is already bad, beer.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I drink a product called Advocare Spark and Advocare Rehydrate.  These are the same products that David Toms, Lee Janzen, Paul Stankowski, and Rod Pampling take when they are out on the course.

The Rehydrate has twice as less sugar than Gatorade and more electrolytes.  I will drink the Spark at the turn because it increases mental focus and alertness so that I don't wear out through the last three holes.

Before taking these these two products I use to be drained when I came to the last 3-4 holes and my scores showed.  But now I have more energy and score better.  Plus they have great favors (Fruit Punch, Strawberry Mango) yum!

Originally Posted by Aquaguru

I drink a product called Advocare Spark and Advocare Rehydrate.  These are the same products that David Toms, Lee Janzen, Paul Stankowski, and Rod Pampling take when they are out on the course.

The Rehydrate has twice as less sugar than Gatorade and more electrolytes.  I will drink the Spark at the turn because it increases mental focus and alertness so that I don't wear out through the last three holes.

Before taking these these two products I use to be drained when I came to the last 3-4 holes and my scores showed.  But now I have more energy and score better.  Plus they have great favors (Fruit Punch, Strawberry Mango) yum!

Hmmm ... Sounds like a change to my coconut water.  I will order some of these and see what happens.  Nothing against coconut water, but variety sounds good right about now.

Thanks!

I take a couple of protein shakes  and drink one per 9 during a round.  It keeps me hydrated and energized at the same time.

During hot days, I will drink additional water throughout the round.  I also have roasted almonds just in case I need additional energy.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Yukari

I take a couple of protein shakes  and drink one per 9 during a round.  It keeps me hydrated and energized at the same time.

During hot days, I will drink additional water throughout the round.  I also have roasted almonds just in case I need additional energy.

Protein shakes?! Dang, you're fu*kin intense!

I often don't eat anything.  Always bring my water bottle and refill if necessary.  Morning rounds I'll bring a thermos of coffee, sometimes buy a 5 hour energy if it's a dawn round.  If I'll be playing all the way through lunch sometimes I'll bring some trail mix or a clif bar. If some of my buddies have brought beer I'll drink a few of those usually.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure to be well hydrated before the round, then maintain the hydration with gatorade cut with water. Rehydrating with fluids via the GI tract is a relatively slow process, so if you are getting significantly dehydrated on the course, replenishing with oral water/electrolyte products may be too late. Same goes for nourishment, I eat a nutritious meal an hour or two before the round. and might have an apple or banana at the turn. see the ACSM guidelines: basics of the guidelines ACSM Position Stand on Exercise and Fluid Replacement "1) It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24-h period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition. 2) It is recommended that individuals drink about 500 ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 h before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water. 3) During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e., body weight loss), or consume the maximal amount that can be tolerated. 4) It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature [between 15 and 22C (59 and 72F)] and flavored to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise. 5) Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and/or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 h since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 h, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink and plain water. 6) During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 h, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested at a rate of 30-60 g h-1 to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue. This rate of carbohydrate intake can be achieved without compromising fluid delivery by drinking 600-1200 ml h-1 of solutions containing 4%-8% carbohydrates (g 100 ml-1). The carbohydrates can be sugars (glucose or sucrose) or starch (e.g., maltodextrin). 7) Inclusion of sodium (0.5-0.7 g l-1 of water) in the rehydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 h is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability, promoting fluid retention, and possibly preventing hyponatremia in certain individuals who drink excessive quantities of fluid. There is little physiological basis for the presence of sodium in an oral rehydration solution for enhancing intestinal water absorption as long as sodium is sufficiently available from the previous meal."5, 6 full article here: [URL]http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2007/02000/Exercise_and_Fluid_Replacement.22.aspx[/URL]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Originally Posted by uttexas

I'm sure to be well hydrated before the round, then maintain the hydration with gatorade cut with water. Rehydrating with fluids via the GI tract is a relatively slow process, so if you are getting significantly dehydrated on the course, replenishing with oral water/electrolyte products may be too late. Same goes for nourishment, I eat a nutritious meal an hour or two before the round. and might have an apple or banana at the turn.

see the ACSM guidelines:

basics of the guidelines

ACSM Position Stand on Exercise and Fluid Replacement

"1) It is recommended that individuals consume a nutritionally balanced diet and drink adequate fluids during the 24-h period before an event, especially during the period that includes the meal prior to exercise, to promote proper hydration before exercise or competition.

2) It is recommended that individuals drink about 500 ml (about 17 ounces) of fluid about 2 h before exercise to promote adequate hydration and allow time for excretion of excess ingested water.

3) During exercise, athletes should start drinking early and at regular intervals in an attempt to consume fluids at a rate sufficient to replace all the water lost through sweating (i.e., body weight loss), or consume the maximal amount that can be tolerated.

4) It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature [between 15 and 22C (59 and 72F)] and flavored to enhance palatability and promote fluid replacement. Fluids should be readily available and served in containers that allow adequate volumes to be ingested with ease and with minimal interruption of exercise.

5) Addition of proper amounts of carbohydrates and/or electrolytes to a fluid replacement solution is recommended for exercise events of duration greater than 1 h since it does not significantly impair water delivery to the body and may enhance performance. During exercise lasting less than 1 h, there is little evidence of physiological or physical performance differences between consuming a carbohydrate-electrolyte drink and plain water.

6) During intense exercise lasting longer than 1 h, it is recommended that carbohydrates be ingested at a rate of 30-60 g h-1 to maintain oxidation of carbohydrates and delay fatigue. This rate of carbohydrate intake can be achieved without compromising fluid delivery by drinking 600-1200 ml h-1 of solutions containing 4%-8% carbohydrates (g 100 ml-1). The carbohydrates can be sugars (glucose or sucrose) or starch (e.g., maltodextrin).

7) Inclusion of sodium (0.5-0.7 g l-1 of water) in the rehydration solution ingested during exercise lasting longer than 1 h is recommended since it may be advantageous in enhancing palatability, promoting fluid retention, and possibly preventing hyponatremia in certain individuals who drink excessive quantities of fluid. There is little physiological basis for the presence of sodium in an oral rehydration solution for enhancing intestinal water absorption as long as sodium is sufficiently available from the previous meal."5, 6

full article here: http://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2007/02000/Exercise_and_Fluid_Replacement.22.aspx

Wow.  I like this.  I still veer away from Gatorade since I have found coconut water better than that, but as far as how to hydrate, this is great!  I will be purchasing Advocare in the upcoming days as well.  Thanks all.

Note: This thread is 4316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!