IGNORED

Sunscreen?

Note: This thread is 4526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played 27 holes yesterday which kept me in the sun for 6 hours. Its safe to say I got a nice sunburn on my face. I normally just tan but this new medication I take is causing me to burn. I was just wondering what you guys and gals used for suncreen. I would preferably like something thats not oily and easy to put on and obviously works great. The is nothing worse than having oily hands after putting on sunscreen. It's primarily for my face and neck. Thanks in advance.

I played 27 holes yesterday which kept me in the sun for 6 hours. Its safe to say I got a nice sunburn on my face. I normally just tan but this new medication I take is causing me to burn. I was just wondering what you guys and gals used for suncreen. I would preferably like something thats not oily and easy to put on and obviously works great. The is nothing worse than having oily hands after putting on sunscreen. It's primarily for my face and neck. Thanks in advance.

http://www.bullfrogsunblock.com/ works great in the surf too

http://coppertone.com/coppertone/pro...p_50cspray.jsp

Never have to touch the sunscreen with your hands with this! A touch more expensive but worth every cent!!!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

Anything "non-greasy", "sports", "baby faces" should work.

Since it needs to be applied ~ 1/2 an hour before going outside, slather it on. Wash your palms afterward. I never wear less than SPF 30, but more likely SPF 50. Yesterday I borrowed the kids' SPF 60. No touchups required.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I use spray sunscreen also. It's a lot more expensive than the cream kind but for us golfers it keeps it off our hands. If you have a Target store nearby, I've found their store brand to be good and affordable.

When the sun really starts beating down (June-August), I have several hats that I'll wear. They're not very fashionable but they are definitely functional. The first one is a Titleist bucket hat that covers back of neck, ears, and nose. The other is a Dorfman (I know! Stupid name for a company) sun hat. You can see it here: http://www.rei.com/product/798763

Whoever came up with the saying, "A bad day of golf is better than a good day at work", is a moron.

I apply it in the morning before I go out to play, washing my hands of all excess before leaving. If I have to apply it on the course, I'll just sprinkle some water on the hands and dry them on the towel, never had a problem with the hands getting slippery.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I apply the goop (Banana Boat) in the locker room and then wash my hands before heading out. If I forget or have to reload, I just wipe my hands on my golf towel as much as possible.

- Shane

Any of the name brand sunscreens are good. I dont pay as much attention to brand as I do the SPF rating. Im pretty fair-skinned, so I need something that is SPF 70 or higher. Right now Im using an SPF 90 sunscreen that is Walgreens' own brand and its worked really well.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I use a continuous spray SPF 70 for my arms, neck, and legs and for my face I use a SPF 30 stick (sort of looks like an oversized chap stick). This makes it easy so I don't have to use my hands, thus my hands don't get greasy.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
There are a lot of studies out there that also tell you that the chemicals commonly found in sunscreens are bad for you too. Do some more research before just buying any brand of sunscreen.

Go here and make your own decisions: http://www.ewg.org/whichsunscreensarebest/2009report .
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are a lot of studies out there that also tell you that the chemicals commonly found in sunscreens are bad for you too. Do some more research before just buying any brand of sunscreen.

Thanks for that link, I'm going to buy different sunscreen next time. No point in preventing skin cancer by promoting other cancer....

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I use the Banana Boat spray. Find it work wells and I usually only have to re-apply once. Seems like just about everything causes cancer now. The state of California has a list of 800 or so substances that they believe cause cancer. At 29 I am sure I have been exposed to more than my share of cancer causing substances. May as well just have fun now. :)

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I started medicine a few years ago that makes me sensitive to the sun. So, I have to make sure I don't burn. For one thing, I wear a golf shirt with a collar, and usually a wider-brimmed hat once summer comes.

I use Neutrogena, a hypoallergenic sunscreen. I get in the SPF 35 to 55 range. My dermatologist says SPF above 50 is a waste for most people. Plus, this Neutrogena makes a good salve for nicks and scratches.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

YES to sunscreen, but also just as important is to RE-APPLY, especially if you get all sweaty and/or are playing more than 18 holes. This is non-scientific, but i'd recommend re-applying at least once after each 9 holes.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

I agree with what other people suggest for sunscreen, but in addition to that you might want to look into a better hat.

Take a look at Outdoor Research hats:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...n/Buckets.html

I am living out here in Japan now where the women do everything in their power to stay fair skinned. There strategy usually involves covering up in addition to sunscreen. I am not exactly a big fan of this cause I do enjoy being a bit tan, but if you are already burnt but still want to get a few rounds in then I definitely recommend using some UV protecting clothing.

Cheers

In my Ping stand bag:
Irons: 3-PW Titleist T blades, 2-iron King Cobra Oversize cavity back
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 56 and 60 deg 8 and 6 bounce respectively
Putter: Mizuno Brass Bulls Eye Flange
Woods: King Cobra Pro S9-1 8.5 deg X-stiff, and 15 deg X-stiffShoes: Asics Tour Gels

As someone diagnosed with melanoma a few years ago, I advise lots of sunscreen (and a good hat). I use Neutrogena "Fresh Cooling" spray on the course. Blue Lizard and Bullfrog are also good.

Note: This thread is 4526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!