IGNORED

Passed the PAT

iacas
Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
(edited)

A long blog entry nobody will probably care to read (which is fine by me):

Apparently only 2% of people who attempt the PAT pass on their first try, and only 50% of the people who attempt it eventually pass.... ever.

So I'm in not only the 50%, but the 2%.

Long story short, I had my C game today but gutted it out. I was on the number with two holes to play, and I had to hit a green from 232 yards on the 35th hole and I had to make a ten footer for par on the 36th hole. Both shots were played to near perfection.

I'm really proud of myself today. A pair of 77s aren't great scores in the least, but on that golf course with those weather conditions, under the pressure of having to shoot a certain score and having paid $150 to try, and NOT feeling good about my game, and so on... I'm happy.

(Plus, they apparently set the pins in tough positions on Fridays because there's always a big Skins Game on Fridays... thanks guys! spacer.png )

One of my playing partners passed. His first try too - he shot 73/81 to also make it on the number. Odds are we're the only two of the 14 guys to make it. The other guy in our threesome had a tough day.

Anyway, whew!!!!

Edited by iacas
Updated link, no more of the old blogs

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations... that's a big hurdle and stress out of the way. I know many players and soon to be pros that have worried so much about it that they played. I guess it's kind of like Q school for the aspiring tour pros.

good luck as you move forward...

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

Well done man, can't be easy to pull it out on the last 2 holes like that, under pressure.One bad shot and it's over.Congratulations.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I saw your blog before this post, but I'l say it again here. mucho congrats to you. Knowing what you need and shooting on the number takes mental toughness.

Well played man!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Now I can take the Pre-Qualifying test (some standardized test that's probably incredibly easy). It's my "reward" for passing. I have to read three PDFs on the history of the PGA, basic Rules of Golf, and something else, then take a test.

THEN I can pay for my Level 1 Coursework.

I'm most proud of the fact that I just didn't have "it" yesterday, and could have used any excuse from the weather to a playing partner shooting a radio station, but didn't and kept plugging away.

Thanks again.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well done Erik. It's nice to hear about someone achieving goals and moving in a positive direction.

What exactly does your Level 1 coursework entail?

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Congratulations. In addition to achieving this to satisfy your own desires you have done it in a public forum and "walked the walk". We don't often have to play golf when there really is something on the line, and the the way you handled those two pressure shots must have had you driving home with a pretty warm feeling inside. It's one thing for people to give themselves an alias on a golfing forum and carry on about what they did and should have done or nearly did, but to achieve this on your first try, with the whole Sandtrap world watching is worthy of considerable respect. A 300 yard drive that really is 300. Well done. I'm impressed.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'm most proud of the fact that I just didn't have "it" yesterday, and could have used any excuse from the weather to a playing partner shooting a radio station, but didn't and kept plugging away.

That's definitely one of the most rewarding feelings in golf. Congrats, and good luck on the Pre-qualifying test.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
It's one thing for people to give themselves an alias on a golfing forum and carry on about what they did and should have done or nearly did, but to achieve this on your first try, with the whole Sandtrap world watching is worthy of considerable respect.

Well, don't give me too much credit where I don't deserve it. Though everyone I know personally knew I was taking the test this Friday, I didn't tell anyone on The Sand Trap because I didn't know what to expect and I didn't want to sound cocky and get my butt whipped or something. If I was truly "walking the walk" and all that, I'd have told everyone here I was taking the test.

I just called the course, too. The head pro was surprised when one of us passed let alone two. Of the 14 who took the test that day at that course, THREE passed. I don't know who the third was or what try # it was for him, but congratulations to him too. BTW, I know a guy who has taken it at a minimum of 14 times. That was at the start of last season - I think he's at 16 or 17 by now. Never passed yet. Level 1 Coursework - actually, all of the coursework - is listed here: http://pgajobfinder.pgalinks.com/hel...o.cfm?ctc=1658 Constitution, Career Enhancement, Tournament Operations, Rules of Golf, Golf Car Fleet Management, Introduction to Teaching, Golfer Development Programs, Golf Club Design and Repair [sarcasm]Some of those are real relevant to being an instructor, as you can tell... [/sarcasm]

That's very cool. I assume those golf schools that you see on TV now allow you to complete those levels during class time.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

The guy who shot 73/81 must be relieved! Random weather, pressure, and a struggling playing partner (Power 92 or Cool 107?) probably had that guy gripping the stick little too tightly. I'd have been sh**ing bricks on the last hole.

Based on your usual scores, 77 might not be your ideal day, but you're in!.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
That's very cool. I assume those golf schools that you see on TV now allow you to complete those levels during class time.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. I'm just studying myself at home... some colleges give you a business degree as you do the PGM stuff (professional golf management). Some "colleges" are set up specially to teach PGM type material. But I'm not doing either of those... just studying at home. So no "class time" for me, but yeah, if you're in one of those things you probably do use class time. I don't know if they also make you fly to Port St. Lucie at the completion of every level. Pretty sure the official full-college PGM programs don't.

Based on your usual scores, 77 might not be your ideal day, but you're in!.

Yeah, I just didn't have it today. Nothing felt really good. I bladed a frickin' pitch shot fer crissakes - I wasn't comfortable with my alignment all day, and when you never feel like you're lined up properly it's tough to make a good pass at the ball. A pair of 77s on an unfamiliar course under tournament conditions and lousy weather with my C game is roughly a 7.5 differential, but I'll take it, dammit.

I can't read "Golf Car Fleet Management" without thinking of this:

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

COngrats...it is truly an accomplishment! I was so excited after passing that I briefly left the scorers table without signing my card because my friends and "caddie" had a couple pitchers waiting. Good luck in the GPTP.

A long blog entry nobody will probably care to read (which is fine by me):

Nice going EriK. That

is a good accomplishment. My home course holds a regional PAT every year and last year I was working as starter that day. About half the field scored worse than my typical round (and I would never consider such an attempt), and that with the course set up as easy as it can possibly play. Sitting in my shack watching tee shots on #1 and #10 was amusing to say the least.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!