IGNORED

Do you get mad at the golf course?

binga7
Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Il get frustrated at the course but in the end its always the swing. If we play the game the way its supposed to be played few things can go wrong. I often play one of my rounds a week at a 9 hole course around the corner from my house. It is not in good shape however its only 6 bucks to play as its a city owned course. The greens are not cut that short and the fairways are nothing to write home about. I just work on my swing and approach shots.

I can get frustrated when I play at an expensive course and its in bad condition. Yesterday I played a course in bad condition and I was a little upset. I was 30 yrds out in the middle of the fairway and stuck in a hude puddle. The course does not drain well and its frustrating when you play in the fairway the whole day yet your still hitting shots out of the water.
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

Pretty hard to defend the notion that throwing clubs is ok because of the actions of a few pro's. What you may not know is that the PGA Tour normally issues warnings, often in the form of a letter when those things happen on tour. That is not something they will allow to happen over and over, nor should they. They have many times over the years suggested that if you can't get this problem under control, then yes, you should just stay home. Do you know anything about the history of Bobby Jones?

Hey I am not trying to defend it because the pro's do it, I agree that it is wrong and that is why I stopped doing it. I was just making a point at the people on here that suggest that if you get mad or throw a club you should quit the game.

I do know that Bobby Jones had a temper and used to throw his clubs around, his reason being he was such a perfectionist. I guess he stopped due to the USGA?

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

• 3 years later...

Yesterday. I snapped by sand wedge in half and then continued onto grab each and every club i had and break them by slamming them into the ground. Needless to say it was a bad day. I now am giving up golf! Golf can suck my ****

Thank you... anger management.....Had a slow Sevensome in front of me today, they let me play through. I 'd say slow play is my biggest anger upper, but I have been guilty as well. Poor performance is another, like my 6 inch chip shot today from 10 yards, I made good on the second chip. Two weeks ago I found a Titleist 910d2 driver head 30 yds ahead of my tee box. It was broken off just above the hosel and the rest of the shaft jammed in a tree. It had angry golfer gone ballistic all over it, turns out it is a "clone"(forgery) club that had a bad epoxy job and cheapass clone shaft...nice paper weight now. I love seeing the wedge/putter with the broken shaft in the trash can by the tee box at high end golf courses I play(usually someone has taken the bottom half). It reminds me that I play the best equipment money can buy, and if there is a bad shot...It is an operator problem. Just chill...

Nothing pisses me off more than playing bad. If you are a decent golfer and pay good money to go out there and hack up the course, all the while  keeping your cool, then maybe you should quit golf and find something that you are a little more passionate about. I have met VERY few people that don't get pissed off after a bad shot. Actually I know of 2, one is a devout Christian and he will occasionally give the steering wheel on the cart a few small punches. The other, is one of them guys that would never ever do anything  to draw attention to himself, but he threatens to give up the game all the time. Well let me back up and say not really a bad shot, but a day of bad golf and its one of several bad shots that sets said golfer off.

Originally Posted by binga7

Ill admit, i have a bad temper and snap at petty things. But nothing pisses me off more than playing shit golf. After about the 3rd of 4th slice i really start to get wound up.

So i had a bit of anger on the weekend, belted a few clubs on my bag etc. (didnt throw any lol) not thinking much of it i finished my round in disgust and drank it off in the club house.

Well when i pull out my hybrid today i go to address the ball and something catches my eye. The shaft has a huge bow in it. It was a pretty big bend, tried to bend it back but its still crooked.

Now i have an excuse to buy a new club.

Whats the worst you have done to your clubs, yourself or someone else out of frustration?

Originally Posted by liveeel

Nothing pisses me off more than playing bad. If you are a decent golfer and pay good money to go out there and hack up the course, all the while  keeping your cool, then maybe you should quit golf and find something that you are a little more passionate about. I have met VERY few people that don't get pissed off after a bad shot. Actually I know of 2, one is a devout Christian and he will occasionally give the steering wheel on the cart a few small punches. The other, is one of them guys that would never ever do anything  to draw attention to himself, but he threatens to give up the game all the time. Well let me back up and say not really a bad shot, but a day of bad golf and its one of several bad shots that sets said golfer off.

Nothing.  In almost 40 years I've never damaged a club in anger or otherwise.  Throwing temper tantrums is a sign of immaturity.

Controlling your temper is part of growing up.  With a 12 or 13 handicap, you aren't really good enough to be blowing your stack over a bad shot.  As mid handicappers we should be anticipating that we are going to hit some clinkers, not throwing a tantrum when the inevitable happens.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I used to get pretty mad at myself on the course.  Then one day I tossed my driver in the air on a tee box surrounded by dense trees and it got stuck in one of said trees, well out of my reach.  I had to use my playing partners driver to get mine out of the tree.  It was embarrassing and since then I have toned down my anger a lot.  Also, I just bought a set of Rocketblade tour irons and there is no way I am risking breaking those bad boys.

I have recently started playing on an amateur tour, and I find that if I can really not let poor shots get me angry, I play much better.

I am like the hulk. The secret to playing decent golf while angry is just always being angry. And yes I have broken a club or two.

I play with one guy though who hit a bad shot with his SW, took his sand wedge and hit his bag 6 or 7 times until it snapped. Then later he realized the swings also snapped the shafts of his 8, 7, 5 and 4. I think he said $250 covered the reshafting. He has calmed down somewhat sense.

James

Originally Posted by golfer 18

Yesterday. I snapped by sand wedge in half and then continued onto grab each and every club i had and break them by slamming them into the ground. Needless to say it was a bad day. I now am giving up golf! Golf can suck my ****

McAvoy?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfer 18

McAvoy?

Hope he spared his 7 iron.

Tyler Martin

I've thrown a club once or twice in my life. Sometimes I will just let the club drop to the ground after  a bad shot as if to ask the heavens why I just did what I did. If I get angry it is only right after the shot and I don't let it stay with me. Because I know I have a chance to make a nice shot on the next one.

There are times I would love to break a club or two, but I have paid to much for them. Besides it would just add salt to the wound to get them fixed and it is not the clubs fault I suck!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

• 8 months later...
I moved to the villages in Florida a couple of years ago. Long story short, I hate the condition of the many championship courses here. I belonged to a country club previously in Maryland which had superb conditions. I have also played at many other courses including munis all of which are better then where I am at. I don't get angry when I play poorly. Today we played a course whit no grass in the rough, spotty fairway grass, and rock hard ground. Also many Huge lipped fairway bunkers with tons of quick sand like beach sand. Many shots hit to the edge of greens rolled sideways twenty or thirty yards off the greens onto hard pan. Many tee shots roll forever into fairway bunkers. I hit the ball well, but my anger rapidly built up. This caused me to start one handing chips and putts. I drove home vowing to never play there again. My group of about thirty other guys seem to be able to keep it together and retain their concentration. Help I don't want to lose my golfing companions, but I expect better for what we pay here per round.

I moved to the villages in Florida a couple of years ago. Long story short, I hate the condition of the many championship courses here. I belonged to a country club previously in Maryland which had superb conditions. I have also played at many other courses including munis all of which are better then where I am at. I don't get angry when I play poorly.

Today we played a course whit no grass in the rough, spotty fairway grass, and rock hard ground. Also many Huge lipped fairway bunkers with tons of quick sand like beach sand. Many shots hit to the edge of greens rolled sideways twenty or thirty yards off the greens onto hard pan. Many tee shots roll forever into fairway bunkers. I hit the ball well, but my anger rapidly built up. This caused me to start one handing chips and putts. I drove home vowing to never play there again. My group of about thirty other guys seem to be able to keep it together and retain their concentration.

Help I don't want to lose my golfing companions, but I expect better for what we pay here per round.

I suppose I wouldn't be happy if I got something much worse than I was expecting for the price (but that's never happened to me yet).

I do play many courses that are so "bad" that most of the golfers I know wouldn't play there but it doesn't bother me at all. I used to play a course that had rock hard turtle-back shaped greens where it was next to impossible to keep a ball on the greens. Played many, many rounds there and learned that I just had to play the course differently than other courses. As many bump and runs as possible and trying to land short of greens and hope for a good bounce. The most valuable thing I learned on that course is that a par on a hole can be a really good score.

Plus it was $25 with a cart for all you wanted to play from daylight to dark. :-D

I have been know to throw a club or two but that was back when i was 14 and I've definitely grown up now and wouldn't dream of doing. I see enough adults getting mad and i think they just look stupid so i keep my cool because i know i don't want to look like them

Henry

I moved to the villages in Florida a couple of years ago. Long story short, I hate the condition of the many championship courses here. I belonged to a country club previously in Maryland which had superb conditions. I have also played at many other courses including munis all of which are better then where I am at. I don't get angry when I play poorly.

Today we played a course whit no grass in the rough, spotty fairway grass, and rock hard ground. Also many Huge lipped fairway bunkers with tons of quick sand like beach sand. Many shots hit to the edge of greens rolled sideways twenty or thirty yards off the greens onto hard pan. Many tee shots roll forever into fairway bunkers. I hit the ball well, but my anger rapidly built up. This caused me to start one handing chips and putts. I drove home vowing to never play there again. My group of about thirty other guys seem to be able to keep it together and retain their concentration.

Help I don't want to lose my golfing companions, but I expect better for what we pay here per round.

I've noticed that many of the area golf courses here in Tampa have gotten to these poor conditions. Is it something to do with the economy? Can't afford the water or afford  maintenance staff? Guess to keep the price of golf down, they make cuts. I've had the chance to play a couple of "retirement community" courses last week and the conditions were very poor (bunkers in bad condition, weeds, tree branches lying around.  Green fees that day were $40.  Guess once the course has the annual dues from its members, they feel they can neglect the course -

Come on really? I thought all the courses in Florida were supposed to be nice and well maintened, just the fact that the great weather there year around.

Here in Denver most of the courses I play the courses are in great condition. I pay an average of around $50 + cart fees.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 3670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!