IGNORED

Quitting when u play bad.

wildcorndog
Note: This thread is 5060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hate playing with someone who will just leave after a few holes if they r not shooting right at thier handicap! I can't belive how many people do this at my country club! It's so annoying I always make plans to play with 3 or 4 guys and I'm lucky to finish with 1. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just yesterday I was playing with a British guy, a 10 handicapper. On the first hole I was hitting a chip shot around the green, but I topped it and it rolled across the green and went over OB. I thought it could still be in play so I went across the green to check it but I found it OB. So I went back to play another one. I know I should have played a provisional before going to check it, but the ball wasn't that fast and I thought it was probably still in play but unfortunately it was not. Anyway, when we finished the hole he told me "you should have played a provisional faster than that", I said OK, sorry.

On the 4th green, our balls were at opposite sides of the pin but I wasn't sure if it was mine or his farther, so I went up and asked him if it was me or him, he said "Hey, either play it or mark it. Don't stand there doing nothing". Again I said OK and marked it.

On the 5th tee, I hit my drive but sliced it to the right and I though it was most probably OB. So I picked up another ball and put it on the tee. I was still going to say I'll play a provisional when he said "What are you doing? Is this a provisional?" I said yes, he said "You have to say you're playing a provisional". Now I was getting pissed. He wasn't being advising or caring, it was obvious from his tone he was just being pissed as he was playing like crap and was venting off his anger at me. I really wanted to get back on him.

On the 5th green, our balls were again at opposite ends of the pin at almost the same distance. So I told him "hey, mark your ball I want to play", he then started bluffing about how rushing I was. He marked his ball, then looked at both balls, then realized his was maybe an inch farther so he said "No actually you're the one whose gonna mark his ball. If you don't know the bloody rules don't tell me what to do". I stuck a wide grin on my face and told him Oh OK.

He then made the putt and missed it, then I made my putt and sunk it for a birdie (a bogie unfortunately counting the OB). By that time he was really angry and started to curse under his breath. We went up to the 6th tee and he made a big shank to the right, I had an excellent drive. He then went to play from the forest, hit the ball in a tree and it almost bumped back in his face. He threw his club on the ground and quit the game cursing and shouting.

That was one of the most annoying playing partners ever.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Just yesterday I was playing with a British guy, a 10 handicapper. On the first hole I was hitting a chip shot around the green, but I topped it and it rolled across the green and went over OB. I thought it could still be in play so I went across the green to check it but I found it OB. So I went back to play another one. I know I should have played a provisional before going to check it, but the ball wasn't that fast and I thought it was probably still in play but unfortunately it was not. Anyway, when we finished the hole he told me "you should have played a provisional faster than that", I said OK, sorry.

Why bother playing if you're gonna quit when things go bad. As you can see by my handicap, I have a lot of bad days but I've never just quit & walked off. If you're going to do that. the just stay at home & play Tiger Woods on PS 2.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's why I either play with buddies or family or play by myself. Never with randoms if it's a casual game. You never know what's going to happen. I'd MUCH rather play a single and work on my game by hitting multiple approach shots, chips, etc than take my chances with randoms...even if it just so happens that i get the nicest partners in the world.

I have yet to find a playing partner who enjoys working on his game as much as I do. This would be great because playing alone sucks in comparison to playing with friends. Still beats randoms though.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

I could never imaging quitting a round. If you're going to pay you might as well make the most of it.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

never quit a round, but I do admit I have quit a hole before........not in the last 3 or 4 yrs though.....but it costs to much for a round or even just 9 holes to just up and quit

That's why I either play with buddies or family or play by myself. Never with randoms if it's a casual game. You never know what's going to happen. I'd MUCH rather play a single and work on my game by hitting multiple approach shots, chips, etc than take my chances with randoms...even if it just so happens that i get the nicest partners in the world.

Around here you can't count on getting out as a single. Occasionally at the lesser-used courses, but usually you'll at least get paired with someone. I always go out as a single, and I'd say 70% of the time I get added to a group. I've yet to have an unpleasant experience.

never quit a round, but I do admit I have quit a hole before........not in the last 3 or 4 yrs though.....but it costs to much for a round or even just 9 holes to just up and quit

I've done that a few times, once it's clear that I'm going to fruitlessly battle to do worse than ESC I usually hang up til the next tee. I've quit one round at the 8th hole (9 hole round) because I was getting too frustrated. In that case, it was better just to walk off and cool off. It wasn't enjoyable for me, and I'd have just made an ass of myself. I think that was the day that suddenly on the 7th hole I popped up a driver, then on the 8th did it again, and then on the 9th tee popped up two drivers, and then the 3 wood. Not sure what was happening, but I was not in the mood to work it out, so I just walked off. (these were pop-ups that went 100 feet up and 20 feet forward, not just high shots) That's the only time I've ever quit early other than for darkness.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

If I'm by myself, yes I will stop.
What's the point in playing if it isn't fun? it's only a game.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Around here you can't count on getting out as a single. Occasionally at the lesser-used courses, but usually you'll at least get paired with someone. I always go out as a single, and I'd say 70% of the time I get added to a group. I've yet to have an unpleasant experience.

You're right. However, if you play twilight getting on stand by as a single is no problem, even at the nicer courses around here (70 dollars primetime, 25 dollars for twilight).

I've never booked a tee time for one person. When I play by myself it's always stand by.
If I'm by myself, yes I will stop.

because you can make it fun and golf is probably by far the most expensive sport in the world.

Best 9 holes: 35 (Trilogy at Redmond Ridge, 3163y, Par 35/70, 70.0/131)
Best 18: [b]77[b] (Palm Valley CC, 6545y, 71.4/126)
Notable career achievement: I have NEVER four-putt.

because you can make it fun and golf is probably by far the most expensive sport in the world.

I pay 150 euro (200 dollars) a year to play.

I've bought my clubs a year or two ago so no fees for them. I find all the golf balls I play. 150 euro isn't that expensive.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I quit yesterday, see my "Idiots on my course" thread, had a good reason as my head was not straight.
The only other time I have walked off was after playing with a bad back (should not have) so could not swing and had a nightmare, thought it better to get off rather than hurt more or change my swing to make it work and balls my self up.
Just walking of because your playing bad, well I have not done that yet but never say never lol.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Not so far. Unless it's a competition, if I'm a lost cause after a few holes I'll just treat it as a practice round. Life's too short to get bent out of shape about a couple of bad shots.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've left after 9 a few times but that was playing a practice rough by myself and it was usually to go to the range to try figure out what was going wrong. The only time I've ever quit when playing with friends was when I had a terrible hang over but thought it was a good idea to try and play anyway - it wasn't so I left after 9. I'd never just pack it in at some random hole on the course because I wasn't playing well.

I'm sorry but I would have told the british guy to go F himself if he was like that with me. Unless you are someone's guest at a country club or playing at a private place, no one should be acting like that. Like it or not, it's what you get for playing at a public golf course, where everyone pays the same and has the same right to play there! I would love for someone to talk to me like that, I would make sure they had the worst day of golf of their life by taking about 20 minutes to line up each shot, etc.! It's one thing to know all the rules and practice etiquette, but that guy sounds like an ahole.

Scott

I'm sorry but I would have told the british guy to go F himself if he was like that with me. Unless you are someone's guest at a country club or playing at a private place, no one should be acting like that. Like it or not, it's what you get for playing at a public golf course, where everyone pays the same and has the same right to play there! I would love for someone to talk to me like that, I would make sure they had the worst day of golf of their life by taking about 20 minutes to line up each shot, etc.! It's one thing to know all the rules and practice etiquette, but that guy sounds like an ahole. Scott

It is a private club and both of us are members. He's not a random guy too. He's a regular at our club and I've known him before. Actually he used to teach English at my school. First time I played with him though, and hope it's the last.

I think I did the best. I just infuriated him and forced him to play like crap and quit all while keeping a wide grin on my mouth and never getting angry. And he doesn't know a thing about etiquette; when he quit, he went to our 3rd partner (we were 3) and gave him my scorecard (he was my marker) and shook hands with him, but he didn't even care to tell me he's quitting let alone shake hands. Such a jerk he is.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Note: This thread is 5060 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!