IGNORED

hold the club like a live bird is........

Note: This thread is 1975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A LOAD OF CRAP just got back from a demo day in orlando for nike and paul casey was there along with a few club pros. They had some type of pressure monitor and pauls grip pressure was at 11 psi while the other pros where around 8 to 9 psi i dont know where the hold the club like a live bird came from but...

I hold it 'light' for chipping only. 'Normal' for anything else.

The reason for the '' is because I have no idea what normal/light is. It just feels right.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I think this was something Sam Snead was quoted as saying. But I guess there will be variations depending on the physical grip strength of the individual... resulting in "feel" being different to "reality."

A LOAD OF CRAP just got back from a demo day in orlando for nike and paul casey was there along with a few club pros. They had some type of pressure monitor and pauls grip pressure was at 11 psi while the other pros where around 8 to 9 psi i dont know where the hold the club like a live bird came from but...

Appoximately how many psi should we apply to a live bird?

Does this apply to blue jays as well as chickens and turkeys? What about an emu?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Try holding a 300 lb ostrich with only 9-11 psi...not gonna happen. Also, the gripping strength of a bald eagle is around 400 psi. We are completely debunking this bird psi thing. ;p

From what i hear, Sam Sneeds grip strength was very very powerful. So his measure is our 5 out of 10. A good mental image would be if you wanted to throw a baseball straight. If you grip it to strong then you will hold on to it and throw it left or into the ground. If you hold it to tight then you will loose it high and right. you have to have that moderate grip pressure.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That emu would kick you in the nuts before you could get an accurate psi reading.

In My Bag:

Driver: HiBore XLS 10.5º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
3-Wood: HiBore XLS 15º (Fujikara Fit-on M Gold R Flex)
5-Wood: S2 Straightneck 19º (Fujikara Fit-On Max 65 FW Stiff)Irons: HiBore XLi 3-PW (Fujikara Fit-on M Red S Flex)Wedges: CG14 Chrome 56º SW/60º LWPutter: ...

the live bird grip pressure worked for whippy hickory shafts. You need more grip pressure for modern stiff shafted clubs.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Never thought about how much "pressure" I'm holding the club with. I just hold it with enough so that it feels comfortable.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

I can't remember where, but recently I read a comment about Sam Snead and grip pressure. It was something like this: " Sam Snead said to hold the club like you're holding a bird. What Sam didn't tell you was that the bird was a hawk."

Maybe its just me, but this tip worked wonders for me when my Pro suggested it. Actually he said hold it like a tube of toothpaste without squeezing, which I guess is the same concept.

I only really apply any pressure with my two last fingers on my left hand, the rest is a VERY light grip. It solved my problem of not being able to create lag, its impossible to have loose wrists with a tight grip. It really did wonders for my lag, and keeping all the tension out of my swing, which all resulted in curing my slice.

G15 9.0° Driver
G15 15.5º 3 Wood
G15 23° Hybrid
G5 Irons
Spin Milled 52.08°, 56.08° & 60.10° Wedges White Ice 2 Ball Putter NXT Golf Balls

I grew up on a small farm-ish setting. When we were young, one of my sisters had a pet chicken that she carried around and squeezed practically to death. She literally squeezed the chicken's guts out one day.

Based on that, I'm guessing that if you're holding the club in to your chest, have your elbows wrapped around it, and are squeezing with everything your pectorals can muster, you're probably going a little overboard. Other than that I can't be of much help.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I grip the club tight enough that it doesn't rotate, but not so hard it causes me to strain.

Paul Casey works out a lot and prides himself on how large his forearms are. Lightly, for him, would probably naturally be a cpl psi more than the average pro.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I always liked the phrase "Grip the club with equal and opposite pressure" This has always seemed to be true when the proper grip/hand positions are used.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Maybe its just me, but this tip worked wonders for me when my Pro suggested it. Actually he said hold it like a tube of toothpaste without squeezing, which I guess is the same concept.

This is what I have read and heard said, not tried it yet as I am happy and don't want to mess

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Note: This thread is 1975 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!