IGNORED

hold the club like a live bird is........

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was practicing at a range one day working on the tip I recieved about grip pressure. The second swing sent the club like 25 yards out into the driving range. Its was very embarrassing to ask 5 golfers to stop hitting balls for a minute so I could retrieve my club. Doh!

have you heard of "metaphors". The saying is not literal. It is a mental picture you want someone to have to releive tension if they are holding the club too tight.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

A LOAD OF CRAP just got back from a demo day in orlando for nike and paul casey was there along with a few club pros. They had some type of pressure monitor and pauls grip pressure was at 11 psi while the other pros where around 8 to 9 psi i dont know where the hold the club like a live bird came from but...

I have no idea what 11 psi feels like. Did they let u on the same machine? Did u try to match the 11 reading? How did it compare to your normal grip?

I was practicing at a range one day working on the tip I recieved about grip pressure. The second swing sent the club like 25 yards out into the driving range. Its was very embarrassing to ask 5 golfers to stop hitting balls for a minute so I could retrieve my club. Doh!

That is funny! I'm trying to picture that happening and imagining the look on your face is priceless.

In my bag:
Driver X460 TOUR OPTIFIT 10.5* Graphite
FW 3W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 13* Graphite
FW 5W BIG BERTHA DIABLO 18* Graphite
Irons X-22 IRONS 5 - PW & SW GraphitePutter Odyssey Dual Force Rossie IIUnder my bag: 2007 EZGO ~ Customized

I grew up on a small farm-ish setting. When we were young, one of my sisters had a pet chicken that she carried around and squeezed practically to death. She literally squeezed the chicken's guts out one day.

i have heard a "fact" from some people that grew up on farms, can you confirm? they say that a chickens head pops off very easily and thats how they used to kill them, just pull its head off and it comes off quite easily? sounds wonky to me, not sure its true...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have heard a "fact" from some people that grew up on farms, can you confirm? they say that a chickens head pops off very easily and thats how they used to kill them, just pull its head off and it comes off quite easily? sounds wonky to me, not sure its true...

don't know where you heard that. i wouldn't say it comes off easily. but the way my great grandma used to kill her yard birds is grab them by the kneck and ring them around a good three or four times. the head really didn't come off, but would be hanging by the sinews as the poor poultry ran out it's last reservoirs of adrenaline and reflex around her yard. at five years, i was impressed, disgusted, and a bit nonplussed the first time i witnesses such an event.

don't know where you heard that. i wouldn't say it comes off easily. but the way my great grandma used to kill her yard birds is grab them by the kneck and ring them around a good three or four times. the head really didn't come off, but would be hanging by the sinews as the poor poultry ran out it's last reservoirs of adrenaline and reflex around her yard. at five years, i was impressed, disgusted, and a bit nonplussed the first time i witnesses such an event.

My parents used an axe. I'm not sure whether I was 4 or 5 when that first happened - big freaky headless thing, "leaking" down it's white feathers, running in a big 1/2 circle towards me, falling to the ground about 10 feet in front of me. I had nightmares for a month. Memories . . .

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I grew up on a small farm-ish setting. When we were young, one of my sisters had a pet chicken that she carried around and squeezed practically to death. She literally squeezed the chicken's guts out one day.

I'm sorry your sister had a traumatic event and I feel for the chicken but I am a horrible person as this provided a really good chuckle as I visualized this in my head. Thanks?

(I'm too morbid)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We never intentionally killed chickens, we kept them for their eggs and as pets. So I can't speak to that, sorry.

I'm sorry your sister had a traumatic event and I feel for the chicken but I am a horrible person as this provided a really good chuckle as I visualized this in my head. Thanks?

True, but the story was supposed to be funny. Even in the moment it was funny.

The chicken lived a normally long life after that. Really weird.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

We never intentionally killed chickens, we kept them for their eggs and as pets. So I can't speak to that, sorry.

That sounds like a hobby farm - like a tax write-off.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maybe its just me, but this tip worked wonders for me when my Pro suggested it. Actually he said hold it like a tube of toothpaste without squeezing, which I guess is the same concept.

I am having trouble with that. If I grip it "lightly" I feel the club moves. I end up with a club with a closed face from what it rotated or really get no distance at all. If I grip it "tight" I have been slicing it like crazy. I think I have to focus on finding just the right pressure for my grip.

I am having trouble with that. If I grip it "lightly" I feel the club moves. I end up with a club with a closed face from what it rotated or really get no distance at all. If I grip it "tight" I have been slicing it like crazy. I think I have to focus on finding just the right pressure for my grip.

The key for me is really gripping with the last 2 or 3 fingers of your left hand (for a righty). You should be able to control the face of the club with just those 2-3 fingers, and by keeping the rest loose, you keep your wrists loose which gives me a nice whip affect. It can be overdone, and I have noticed that on some swings I go a little too far and I can feel the club waving in the wind at the top of my swing, but once you get the feel, it really does make a difference, at least for me it did.

G15 9.0° Driver
G15 15.5º 3 Wood
G15 23° Hybrid
G5 Irons
Spin Milled 52.08°, 56.08° & 60.10° Wedges White Ice 2 Ball Putter NXT Golf Balls

The key for me is really gripping with the last 2 or 3 fingers of your left hand (for a righty). You should be able to control the face of the club with just those 2-3 fingers, and by keeping the rest loose, you keep your wrists loose which gives me a nice whip affect. It can be overdone, and I have noticed that on some swings I go a little too far and I can feel the club waving in the wind at the top of my swing, but once you get the feel, it really does make a difference, at least for me it did.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow at the range. Try to focus on getting that feeling and see how it goes. Thanks.

That sounds like a hobby farm - like a tax write-off.

I don't think we ever made any tax write-offs for it, but then I never saw our family's taxes in detail. The main point of keeping the animals was for their natural resources and the fun of having them. Some of us were animal lovers and any excuse to get an interesting animal (peacock, turkey, guinea fowl, ducks, you name it) was good enough. The goats provided the family (and often neighbors) with milk, the chickens did the same with eggs. That was how we started, actually, getting chickens for the eggs and goats for the milk. Everything else followed just for fun.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

A LOAD OF CRAP just got back from a demo day in orlando for nike and paul casey was there along with a few club pros. They had some type of pressure monitor and pauls grip pressure was at 11 psi while the other pros where around 8 to 9 psi i dont know where the hold the club like a live bird came from but...

Most players have grip pressure much higher than they realize. I'd recommend holding the club at an 8 or 9 on a scale to 10. Lag pressure...

If you grip the club too tight with your hands or fingers it will create tension in your arms. That is why people tell you to grip the club lightly. If you grip it too light it will be hard for you to control the club face.

I'd guess most suffer from too firm of a grip which adds to tension in the arms.

Note: This thread is 1983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!